I'm scared of how my cat reacts after vetsulin shot

Discussion in 'Caninsulin / Vetsulin and N / NPH' started by Stellasmom, May 15, 2021.

1. Stellasmom

Stellasmom New Member

I give 1 unit and then within an hour she becomes lethargic, 1 time earlier this week she could only walk a step of 2 and had to sit and i just now had to pull her out from under my bed as she wasn't even raising her head. before the shot the was playing and acting silly and a bit after she let me brush her. this last one scared the hell out of me. I had honey on my finger for her mouth and fed her some fancy feast pate which is what she eats and now she's curled up in my closet. i also give her an antibiotic at the same time, could that have any effect> we are new to this. i have no home testing materials. when she was first diagnosed 12 days ago her readings were at 383. unfortunately i found a very old school vet and can't afford to find a new one. these episodes with Stella my cat are very scary. She is 8 years old and weighs 11.5 lbs. I give her the shot right after eating.

2. JoJohnson

JoJohnson New Member

The glucose may be getting too low. When my cat was diagnosed she was over 500. I started her on Vetsulin and wet food and still would get readings in the 300 range at times. Now she is on the Fancy Feast pate and I have decreased her insulin dose 50% because her glucose is so good. I bought a ReliOn Premiere from Walmart and test her with that meter. This has been recommended by many in this group as an affordable way to test kitty so you know what her reaction is. Keep in mind if you are going to test and then give her the insulin the time to good effect is about 4 hours. I don't think the antibiotics have anything to do with her response this time. Take a look at the tracking sheet this group has available, it helps a lot to establish your kitty's trends.
    Hope this helps!

3. Stellasmom

Stellasmom New Member

Thanks for the info. I just wonder what keeps dropping her BG so often, I feed right before I give her shot and I make sure she goes in at least 3 or so times to munch before the shot. I feel like I'm doing something wrong and I don't know what I just hate seeing my baby suffer.

4. Noah & me (GA)

Noah & me (GA) Well-Known Member

Start over with the basics, your vet should have made this more clear to you. See the Sticky Note in this forum
    INTRODUCTION TO CANNISULIN/VETSULIN & N/NPH
    https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/introduction-to-cannisulin-vetsulin-n-nph.231602/
    "The proper sequence for dosing insulin is: Test/Feed/Wait"
    "IMPORTANT NOTE: Do not feed your cat within the two-hour window right before your pre-shot test time"

Can you afford home testing? It's something you'll have to do in the long run.
    The 'hiding in the closet' is often a sign of distress. Is this new?