I'm a newbie, just checking in

Discussion in 'Caninsulin / Vetsulin and N / NPH' started by Toki Wartooth Jr., Aug 10, 2020.

1. Toki Wartooth Jr.

Toki Wartooth Jr. New Member

Hello,

I have added our Spreadsheet (I think). So far, I think things are going as well as they can be. Toki, our 10 year old boy, was diagnosed 07/25/2020. Our vet was as terrible as expected as far as giving treatment advice. He didn't tell us to test or which foods to switch to (he just said switch foods). I searched out a support group for help because I knew the vet didn't give us the proper information. As soon as we saw we had to test, we bought a meter (08/01/2020) and switched food that day as well. He had readings in the mid to upper 400s the first day or two. We test around 8:00 AM/PM and then feed him. We give him his shot 20-30 minutes later We started out with giving him Fancy Feast 3 times a day (3 cans total); 2 after testing and one was about 6 hours later (2:30 PM). I noticed that his readings were considerably lower in the evening, so I bought an automatic cat feeder so we could get him a feeding in between the PM and AM meals (about 2:30 AM). The first automatic feed was overnight 08/07-08/08. The next morning his levels were down in the mid 200s!

He is still currently on Vetsulin. We are in the process of switching vets; there is a cat clinic about 30 minutes away. We're hoping if we switch vets, we'll get better care instructions and can switch his prescription.

2. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome to FDMB! :)

So glad to hear you're on top of everything despite your vet being unhelpful. I hope the cat clinic is a better suit for you and Toki. Please keep us updated on his progress!

Only thing I want to mention is that while you're still on Vetsulin he'll need a snack 1 hour after shooting, since Vetsulin hits hard and fast around that time. We feed a few times throughout the day (and night) and he may need more than 3 cans of Fancy Feast starting out (my girl was going through 4-6 cans and she was only 4 lbs!). We also test at least once during the day and before bedtime to keep them safe. If you already knew all that don't mind me, I try not to assume someone already knows something. xD You are doing great so far!

3. Toki Wartooth Jr.

Toki Wartooth Jr. New Member

Thank you!

4. MayDayMelK

MayDayMelK New Member

Hello, we were just diagnosed as well. Hope all is going well.