I think Minnie is finally at the right dose...?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA), Aug 30, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA) Well-Known Member

I wanted to wait and not jinx it but after 2 midday 60ish numbers and an 81 today, I think the 5 unit dose may be ideal. I’m only concerned about 2 days ago when her pmps was 231. Normally that would be a perfect no brainer number to shoot her regular dose at, but this would have been the pre hospitalization, pre pneumonia, pre cardiomyopathy Minnie. So I chickened out and gave her 4.5 only that night because i did some crazy math in my head that equaled to where she’d be if I were still following SLGS. I pretty much made up my own modified protocol at this point I think but she’s had some steep dives and I didn’t want to risk it. So to recap, I’m thinking 5 may be the right dose or maybe somewhere in between 5 and 4.75. TR scares the hell out of me and I just want to go back to SLGS, but I know we had too many failed dose reductions with her lately. Anyway, I’m being positive that we may be over the glucose toxicity at this point. I’d welcome feedback.

Thanks!!

oh and just another lazy Sunday around here
    36C28CE3-BF0D-48E4-B9B2-5349BDDCB31C.jpeg

2. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

well you'll get no dosing advice from me but what you will get is a JOB WELL DONE!
    I know you arent exactly done but so happy YOU are happy with Minnie's recovery. I dont know if anyone could have done a better job and get the same results. GO YOU!

Give your babies some scritches and kisses from me!
    Auntie jeanne:p:bighug::D

3. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

I’m going to publish my own insulin dosing protocol based on all my findings in this controlled group test of 1 :D:D:D

4. jt and trouble (GA)

5. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

I loving those greens, go Minnie, I think you might have found the right dose.
    Just look at these two adorable kitties, little bums lol, Tell then to make room for me cause I could fall asleep any where.
    Give kisses to Minnie and Bobo for me Ale, have a good night :bighug::cat:

6. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

You and me both! I love the greens and yellows and not just because it’s the colors of the Brazilian flag haha! :bighug: ;):bighug:

they’re total beach bums or the equivalent of it. So typical of Brazilian cats :smuggrin::joyful::smuggrin:

7. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

The other thing I did I think is helping her not drop too low overnight and bounce all the time is I potty trained myself, that’s right have a good laugh :eek:, so I wake up to pee at about 1:30-2:30 with no alarm needed to make sure she eats at +6/+7. If she hasn’t eaten the food I left out, I put it in front of her face and she eats it. So she’s getting almost the exact same amount of food at night as she does in the day time, minus one snack :rolleyes:

8. jt and trouble (GA)

Does that mean you dont get a snack at your designated pee time? :p:smuggrin::cat:

9. Diane Tyler's Mom

You are too funnyfunny, I love it :cat:

10. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

That’s right I don’t. I can barely keep my eyes open to feed her lol I do have a drink of water. Does that count? :D

11. jt and trouble (GA)

sorry NO water does not qualify as a snack... but is wonderful for dehydration...:p:facepalm::cat::smuggrin::rolleyes:

12. Dusty & Roe

Dusty & Roe Member

Yayyy Ale and Minnie Look at my Beautiful Niece and Nephew Ale they are Really Happy Kitties you are definitely doing something right Kisses right on the Pink and Black noses lol

13. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

They send many many purrs back. Yes well, my backyard is now also known as “Box World” or “Box Land” what can I say, they love it! :D:D:D

omg Roe, I have to send you the video of Bobo reacting to a stray cat that has been coming by to eat the possum food I leave outside. It’s the funniest thing. Minnie, on the other hand, couldn’t care less lol!!

14. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

@Nan & Amber (GA) didn't I say jinx?? And @Panic

So Miss Minnie woke up to an amps of 174. I of course did my crazy math again and gave her a reduced dose, not token, of 3. She’s now 185@+6, which means my 3 just made sure she didn’t drop but she also didn’t go super high. It could still happen at pmps I know. I really think I need to go back to SLGS. The 5 units is probably too much now even though it worked to break through the toxicity. I feel that the 60’s I got last week should have earned her a x2 .25 reduction. I’m thinking she should go back down to 4.5. But I also know she goes out of pattern when she goes on and off antibiotics. I think her numbers are actually better when she’s sick than when she’s in treatment. I’m also wondering what dose I should go with if she’s still at under or at about 200 at pmps o_O

help and thanks!

Last edited: Sep 1, 2020
  15. Nan & Amber (GA)

Nan & Amber (GA) Well-Known Member

Can you remind me, why do you only get one test in the middle of the day? Is this a dash-home-from-work situation?

jt and trouble (GA) likes this.
  16. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

No it’s because she’s still getting medicated multiple times a day even off the antibiotics and I’m trying to give her a break. She’s starting to get impatient with all of it even with treats and all. Why do you think I need to do a curve?

17. Nan & Amber (GA)

Not a curve, necessarily, just more tests at different times and (especially) around the greens she is getting. I'm just wondering if you'd have a better handle on what she's doing if you were able to test more. Those greens you have picked up are lovely numbers in themselves, and (in my view) the 174 pre-shot is a sign of good progress, but it's hard to interpret them fully without some more context.

One reason SLGS has the more conservative reduction point is that it doesn't assume you're getting the full story with a ton of testing-- so an 85 (relatively high green) gotten as an occasional spot-check might signal lower numbers at other times that you're not seeing. You technically test enough to satisfy TR, but it's on the sparse side, which is probably why you are getting nervous now that you're seeing lower numbers.

You definitely have the option of going back to SLGS if you would be more comfortable, but I'd hate to see Minnie lose this progress. If you could get some more tests in during the day, that would be ideal, but if Minnie's medication schedule just makes it too hard to add more testing, you might be better off with SLGS.

I have to sign off now so I probably won't be around for your PMPS :(. She will likely be on track for her full dose (we'll see what she has to say about that!). And as always, you hold the syringe :).

18. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

How many more tests are you thinking?

I’m hesitant because of the huge highs and lows. She’d never have gone down from a 300 to a 60 pre hospitalizations. The bigger range is what scares me now

19. Nan & Amber (GA)

Hmm, don't really have a specific number in mind, it might depend on the day, but at least one more in the early part of the cycle would be good.

How about, trying to get some earlier tests in, maybe +3 or +4, and then adjusting your plans based on that? Like if she seems to be having a high day, you can give her a break, but if it looks like it might be one of the days when she's headed to green, you would test more. Side note: I'd normally suggest starting with a +2, but you get a lot of those at night and they don't seem to vary much from pre-shot. No guarantee that the daytime cycle will be the same, but this is a place to start.

Anwyay, right now, she's hitting some lovely greens, but we don't have a good handle on whether those numbers (at +6, +7, +8) are close to her nadir, or maybe past it. Getting more tests in the first half of the cycle may help answer that question.

20. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

Sorry I didn't get this tag! :arghh:

Some of the other members were talking about SLGS vs TR and someone mentioned that some people DO alter TR just a bit, like instead of reducing at 50, reducing at 60 or 70. Maybe that would work better for you rather than just going back to SLGS's 90 reduction?

I didn't realize how high of a dose Minnie is getting now! Is that all from illness/glucose toxicity or is she becoming a high-dose kitty?

21. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

It beats me! It could be either or both. I’m hoping it’s the toxicity, but when I first joined the forum she was at 9 units a day so...

But that 176 at amps today really makes me think I need to go down a bit from 5 to maybe 4.75. If I had lowered her at both those 60s last week, she’d be at 4.5. That kinda makes more sense to me. I like the modified TR idea.

She was at 342 pmps so I gave her 5 but I’m going to try to do 4.75 as of tomorrow. I’ll feel safer. It could be a failed reduction or not. We’ll see!
    Thanks!

jt and trouble (GA) and Panic like this.
  22. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

Well Lantus craves consistently! Maybe she just needs a slight tweak so she can handle the same dose AM/PM. Fingers crossed for Minnie!

23. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

I got a nice 90 @+6 today :bighug:

I need to add a +6.5 column because I feel like that’s the time I test her most often. Although today was a true +6. She managed to steal one of Bobo’s Meow Mix soft treats, but I’m hoping it won’t affect the pmps too much. Anyway, I think for my peace of mind I’m going to lower her by .25 if I get anything between 90-60 again. Overnights are my biggest concerns. Her drop today was from 334 to 90 so that’s a huge drop, which is why I’m hesitant to shoot the full dose when I get anything under 300 at pre shots. Still she didn’t bounce which is excellent news :D

Last edited: Sep 2, 2020
  24. jt and trouble (GA)

Whoa Ale! I dont know whether to jump for joy or cower in fear. lol God bless you and Little Minnie!

25. Diane Tyler's Mom

Hi
    Hi Ale you wouldn't have to add a @+6.5 column, if you did test let's say at 6:30 you would just put in the 6 column. @+6.5 . and color code it manually.
    She is looking good though :bighug::cat:

26. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

277 @pmps even after the stolen high carb treat :bighug::bighug::bighug:

happy scary. Sticking to my plan so I gave her 4.5. If this works, she’ll still be in the 200’s at amps!

27. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

Go Minnie! Let's see what color she picks for AMPS. :D

28. Diane Tyler's Mom

Keeping my paws crossed for a AMPS to be in the 200 hundreds :bighug::cat:

29. jt and trouble (GA)

Waiiiting somewhat patiently......:p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.