I am not having the best weekend

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Sarah and Buzz, Jan 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sarah and Buzz

Sarah and Buzz Well-Known Member

And that's an understatement, I do believe. But I wouldn't be nearly as calm without you guys, that is for sure. I have gotten so many good links about CRF and fluids and phosphorous and just everything. It's amazing, and I really can't say often enough how grateful I am.

Buzz has had great numbers today, and I am so thankful for that.
    AMPS: 367 1.0u Lantus
    +4.5: 166
    +6: 113

The LL folks had said that since the shed takes a few days to build up, I might not see any change at first, so I wasn't expecting a lot. Cassandra has also mentioned that some kitties get a good reaction on their first dose and then nothing until the shed is full, so I am prepared for that too. But for now, I am pleased.

I just received an e-mail from my mom that my grandfather is most likely dying. He has not been well for some time (Alzheimer's) and the QOL for him has not been good for a couple of years. He is being taken excellent care of and he has plenty of visitors, so I don't mean in that way. But Alzheimer's is no way to live, especially not for someone of his intelligence and intellect. He was a chemist at Abbott Labs his whole life and the smartest man I know. But he can't communicate, he doesn't remember who people are (except my mom and her sisters, who see him all the time, although I think he only recognizes THEM, not that they are his daughters), and he has been grieving since the loss of my grandmother 3 years ago. They had been married 62 years and he is lost without her.

And so, while this is very difficult and sad news to bear, I find myself somewhat relieved. He has not been living, he has just been exisiting. I wish more for him, and that will not happen while he is still alive on this earth.

He is in Chicago, which is only 5 hours from here. I am not sure if I will be able to make it before he passes away, but he will not know me anyway. Hospice said that they feel he is actively dying and if so, he will pass on in about 1-3 days. He does not want any kind of measures taken: no feeding tube, no fluids, etc.

Thank you for listening. Please send any thoughts or prayers you can that he will know peace when he is ready, and that my mom and her sisters will, too.

2. Terri and Lucy

Terri and Lucy Member

Sending thoughts and wishes for a peaceful passing. Losing a grandparent is hard so I'm sending them to you as well as to your grandfather and mom.

3. Sarah and Buzz

Thank you so much, Terri.

4. Joanna & Bix (GA)

Joanna & Bix (GA) Well-Known Member

(((((Sarah))))). That's great that Buzz is doing better (is she back to eating & acting more normal now?), and you are seeing some good #s, and also getting good tips from the Lantus crowd on what to expect from here.

I'm sorry to hear about your grandfather, but glad to know that you are feeling at peace with it, and it sounds like he is too. Both of my grandmothers were in hospice, and I really came to respect that philosophy, and the focus they have on QOL/QOdying. For my family, it helped bring a lot of peace to all of us.

Sending prayers and good thoughts to all of you.

5. Karen & Pearl

Karen & Pearl Member

Oh dear. It's so very hard to go through these things ((((hugs)))))

6. judy and squamee(GA)

judy and squamee(GA) Well-Known Member

Sarah,
    I am so very sorry to hear about your grandfather. My mother died after having Alzheimer's for many years, so I really understand how very difficult it is. You are robbed of the person even though their body is still there. I think QOL is very important and there is a time to go. You are in my thoughts.

7. Sarah and Buzz

Thank you all for your kind words. It helps to know you're not alone, even when it's virtual.

Joanna, I am guessing the recent earthquake did not affect you? I hope all others in CA are fine as well.

Buzz is back to eating and acting more normally. She is spending more time than usual on the upstairs bed, but she is always responsive when I go in, and she comes downstairs to eat. Soon it's time for shot #2 of the day. :)

8. Joanna & Bix (GA)

The earthquake was pretty far north, I don't know of anyone on the board up that far (not to say there aren't people of course, just of the ones I know). Thankfully they are reporting no major damage or injuries. Thanks for asking!

So glad Buzz is feeling a lot better, that is excellent news. :D

9. Ele & Blackie (GA)

Ele & Blackie (GA) Well-Known Member

Sarah, I am so sorry about your grandfather. Even though he has poor QOL, it will still be hard on your mother and you when he goes. My heart goes out to you.

I'm glad you got a good response from the Lantus and got Buzz's numbers down. I hope that you continue to get a good response.

10. judy and squamee(GA)

judy and squamee(GA) Well-Known Member

Does this mean that whatever that crazy stuff was in the vet's office and afterwards appears to be over? And where are you at with the kidney numbers?

11. Sarah and Buzz

She is not QUITE herself, but she is 90% back to normal. I don't know if the other 10% is residual or if she just feels bad because of her higher BG numbers. I would think the latter.

I don't know what to do about the kidney numbers, honestly. I have read the CRF sites that were provided to me here, and one of them said that if BUN and creatinine are elevated, 70% of kidney function is already lost. ?!?!?!! Ouch. Jess pointed out that without ruling out other things, we can't be sure it's CRF. I just really don't know what to do. I guess I will talk to my vet on Monday and present her with what I've learned and see what she thinks. I am pretty sure that my vet hates me because of all the research I do and questions I ask.

12. Joanna & Bix (GA)

Probably not (or if so, might be a cue to test out some other vets!). I had a vet once give me a big sigh and then say he only wished some of his staff did as much research and asked good questions like I did. Of course that didn't give me so much confidence in his staff ;-) , but I did find all the vets at that practice super-informative. I usually had to start tapping my watch and making "ok, thanks, gotta run!" noises to get out of there. Sometimes it was like sitting in a classroom! But I did learn a lot, and had a lot of respect for the vets there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.