How to detect constipation

Discussion in 'Honeymooners / OTJ' started by Kathleen and Fred, Jun 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kathleen and Fred

Kathleen and Fred Member

Fred was diagnosed 12/09 and, thanks to all your advice, has been OTJ since March 2010 -- except for a little episode with a cat attack which sent his BG's high for a week.

His weight has been holding at 15.5lbs and he eats, sleeps and plays well for a 10-year old. However, this week he's been lethargic, a picky eater and seems lighter. His weight is down by 1/2 lb, and he picks at his food -- even crock pot chicken! I found his outside eating grass and wondered if he could be constipated.

Another issue is the extreme heat here on the East Coast. I've kept him in most days of 100 degree weather, but he likes to go out, too. Should I consider giving him one of those hair ball jells to see if it would help? I have one by Hartz called "Hairball Remedy".

Also, I feed all my cats Special Kitty (from the list) and have been doing that for months. Maybe he's just bored with the same menu -- although various flavors.

Your help would be appreciated. Fred usually tests around 90, and feels bad if much below 75. He's now averaging 112.

Thanks for your comments.
    Kathleen and Fred

2. Michelle & Scrabble (GA)

Michelle & Scrabble (GA) Well-Known Member

I had an episode with Scrabble a couple of weeks ago where he didn't poop for a few days. I tried a little bit of miralax in his food and it did the trick. Scrabble is long-haired and gets frequent hairballs so someone on the board told me to use olive oil. It is a great remedy to help with hairballs. Just drizzle a little on their food (about 1/2 a tsp). I give him olive oil every couple of days and it is great for their coats too!!! Hope this helps!

3. Kathleen and Fred

Kathleen and Fred Member

Thanks for your help. I did give a little of that hairball remedy, and this AM Fred tested at 79. But, he' s still not eating and just lays around in the driveway (on cool rocks). I'm now afraid it may be something more serious like his kidneys. Guess it may be time for a Vet visit. He urinated outside the box during the night. Don't think he's a happy camper.

Thanks, again
    Kathleen & Fred

4. Michelle & Scrabble (GA)

Michelle & Scrabble (GA) Well-Known Member

(((Kathleen)) so sorry to hear, you should probably take him to the vets then. Keep us updated!!! Hugs!

5. Kathleen and Fred

Kathleen and Fred Member

Went to vet this AM. $325 later we still don't know exactly what's going on. His red blood cells are not good (??). Could be worms or parasites or something more serious like cancer. His BG #'s are fine and no kidney trouble that she can see -- nothing wrong with his teeth. So, we're going to try an antibiotic (Vibramycin) twice a day for a while along with Prednisolone twice a day.

I don't know HOW I'm going to get this down his throat! Every mediation is such a struggle. But, if it will help.... This is just a shot in the dark, but Fred had been known to capture chipmunks and birds, so he may have picked up something from them. Also, the steroid could raise his BG levels, so I'll have to test more often for those signs, now, and possibly have to give him insulin again while he's on this medication.

Poor Fred. He's going to be very unhappy for a while. Just hope I can catch him at mealtime for all the meds. Then, back to the Vet on Friday.

Keep your fingers crossed that this stuff will work.

Thanks,
    KathleenV & Fred

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.