How long with no juice?

Discussion in 'Honeymooners / OTJ' started by Mogmom and Goofus, Apr 3, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mogmom and Goofus

Mogmom and Goofus Well-Known Member

• So, I'm wondering, how long with no insulin before I consider that my kitty would be in remission? Today is day 6 with am and pm tests, that Goof is running in the high 60's and Lo to mid 70's for BG numbers. His appetite is good, but he's not constantly pestering me or thumping on the pantry door anymore. He's not sitting drinking like a camel anymore and the clumps in in the sandbox aren't te size of my fist anymore. He loves catnip again (I really limit that) and plays like his old self. Am I being too hopeful?

Last edited: Apr 5, 2015
  2. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

You need 2 weeks, with glucose below 130 mg/dL on a human meter, without insulin.

3. Mogmom and Goofus

Thank you, I didn't get to test him tonite until 2 1/2 hours after he ate, I worked late and my niece fed him before I got home. His BG was 97 on the ReliOn micro. So, I'll just keep testing and praying.....

4. Mogmom and Goofus

Today is day 9, BG was 119 this morning. Goof is going to the vet tomorrow for a full blood work up, just to make sure everything is as it should be.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2015
  5. Mogmom and Goofus

Well, dang it. My Goof is back on the juice. They tested my ReliOn meter against the lab machine, and there's 59 points difference, so apparently Goof should've had insulin the past 5 days too. I'm bummed. Everything else looked good tho, he did gain a little weight, which he needed.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2015
  6. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Please see my signature link Glucometer Notes, especially the part about over the counter meters being +/- 20% from a lab test (not another meter).

7. Mogmom and Goofus

I had looked at that, but to be honest, I couldn't be sure that I understood it completely. Apparently I didn't. So I guess I'd advise anyone who is unsure, to just have their meter checked by their vet.

Also, we tested 3 different strips from the ReliOn, using the same blood sample, and got 3 different numbers, one by 15 points. I'm really glad that I know my kitty very well, I knew he was acting differently since Saturday night.

8. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

If, on a human glucometer, the cat tests between 40-130 mg/dL without insulin, for 14 full days, we call it remission.

Home meters may read as much as 20% lower or higher from what a lab might get. They aren't nearly as precise as a good ruler.
    And human meters read about 30 to 40% lower than pet meters. This is like reading temperature in Celsius, instead of Fahrenheit
    These 2 factors make estimating 1 type of reading from another type unhelpful because you have to take that variability and the difference in readings into account.

For each section of the chart, there are 3 sets of numbers:
    human glucometer readings in mg/dL
    human glucometer readings in mmol/L for our international members, inside parentheses
    pet glucometer readings in mg/dL inside curly braces

You are using a human glucometer reading in mg/dL. Compare any test numbers to the 1st set of ranges in each section until you find the section including your number. Read the text which gives you an idea of what you want to do.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.