"How do I adjust doseage times"

Discussion in 'Caninsulin / Vetsulin and N / NPH' started by mary hornbeck, Oct 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mary hornbeck

mary hornbeck Member

Hi everyone:
    I needed some advice as I have to deviate from the 12 hour requirement for my cats vetsulin. I gave him usual doseage at 7anhis morning but I will be working until 8pmujtil next week.

* would it be horrible to give him his pm dose at 8p instead of 7!temporarily?
    * what is the window to deviate from his regular times.

Thank u

2. mary hornbeck

mary hornbeck Member

Can y deviate anywhere from 1/2 hour to hour before or after rfuoarbfeed times?

3. mary hornbeck

mary hornbeck Member

Sorry, before or after moral,time of feeding?

4. Amanda and a Loudogg

Amanda and a Loudogg Well-Known Member

One of the things I love the most about Vetsulin is you can vary things a little here and there if necessary. Obviously it's best to stick as close to the 12 hour cycle as you can, but as we both know, life has a tendency to get in the way. I have times where I work a double shift (12-14 hour days), so I have to dose my buddy Lou later than normal. An hour before or after is okay, just note that your preshot BG may be a bit higher or lower, depending on what time of the day it is. Just verify that the BG is safe before dosing (as you would usually). So on those days I have to work late, I've actually even dosed him 2 hours afterwards, and he's okay. I don't try to make that late the norm, but sometimes I can't help it. If I'm late at night, I'll try to continue back at my regular time the next morning to get him back on schedule. Again, his BGs will be slightly off (higher or lower) for those two cycles, but I take that into consideration and adjust accordingly. Thankfully I don't usually have to make too many changes.

Yong & Maury GA, LDub57 and JanetNJ like this.
  5. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

It's flexible. I often adjust up to an hour at a time. Just be sure to check the preshots. :)

6. mary hornbeck

mary hornbeck Member

ThAnk you for the guidance. I am working from 9a-12pm then again from 3p-8p all week. So if I feed him at 8a, work until 8p then go to the market after I should still be alright as long as I try to be hone around 9?

7. JanetNJ

Yep. One of the benefits of vetsulin is that it's more flexible time wise. Up to an hour here or there is fine! :)

8. JanetNJ

With vetsulin /canisilun you have an hour of flexibility. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.