Hot Ears in relation to Higher BG

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Jamy & Indy, Jan 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jamy & Indy

Jamy & Indy Member

On two occasions I have tested Indy and found his ears to be extremely hot. Both times his BG was unusually high. Both times I had to wake him up to test him. Both times were the PM test.

If you look at his spreadsheet I am talking about the PM test on 1/9 and tonight's PM test (1/22). When this happened on 1/9, he had not had a number that high since Christmas day, which was just wonky all the way around as far as BG goes. If you throw that day out, you have to go back to 12/14 to find a number in the 120s.

Okay, I hear everyone saying "but 120 is not a bad number." I understand that - just curious about this "Hot Ear Phenomenon." Also curious if anyone else experiences it or knows if there is a reason.

2. Ronnie & Luna

Ronnie & Luna Well-Known Member

I had a similar thought on that a couple months ago...I noticed for a little while his ears were very warm, took a test and it was in good range, other times, ears were cold and tested in higher numbers or rising numbers....I thought maybe there was something to that....but it didn't last long or consistent enough to go by ear temp alone. Every once in a while it was like that.

There was also a theory going around, if the blood bleeds light in colour, BG will be lower, if it bleeds dark, it is higher....again, it was only once in a while and not enough consistency for me to make a dealie about it.

Silly cats like to mess with our heads!

NeneFeroz likes this.
  3. Jamy & Indy

Jamy & Indy Member

I "talked" with Cassandra on the temp thing and she basically said the same as you - too inconsistent to tell.

It is interesting that you mention the blood color because I have noticed the same thing - bright red usually means lower numbers.

I've also noticed if the blood is thicker or doesn't flow as quickly, he usually has a higher number.

4. tuckers mom

tuckers mom Well-Known Member

There was a discussion on this a few years back on the old board, I believe on Health. I remember because I had posted that Misty's (GA) ears were hot when her blood sugar is up. It seems to be mostly true with Tucker as well.

5. dian and wheezer

dian and wheezer Well-Known Member

agree with all of the above in ear temp but some of it also goes with room temp too.
    agree on color

6. Cassandra and Sasha

Cassandra and Sasha Well-Known Member

It's so funny that you say that. I usually see the opposite in Sasha. Dark blood from a cold ear is a lower number. Bright red blood from a hot ear is often a higher number. I never get bright red blood from a cold ear, or dark blood from a hot ear. Then yesterday she had a 41, and her ear was hot and the blood was bright red. They do like to make us wonder!

7. Ronnie & Luna

Ronnie & Luna Well-Known Member

lol, too bad they couldn't just bleed green then we'd know they're at a good point! :mrgreen:

8. Karen & Pearl

Karen & Pearl Member

I've always found that Pearl's ears are warmer when her bgs are higher. Most of the time if her ears are cool, I know she is going to be at a decent number. Not scientific, no basis of why, but in four years, it seems to be fairly true for her.

9. Jamy & Indy

Jamy & Indy Member

DH, who used to be an EMT, has a reason for the blood color. Bright red blood is arterial blood which is oxygenated because it is coming out of the heart and has been cleansed by the heart. Dark blood is going back to the heart to be cleaned because it has picked up all the impurities from the body. The impurities that have been picked up cause the blood to be dark.

Now, the question is - is glucose one of those items that gets picked up along the blood's route?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.