Honeymoon?

Discussion in 'Honeymooners / OTJ' started by Smokey, Sep 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Smokey

Smokey Member

Hello everyone!

My childs name is Smokey and I've had him for 13 years! We live in Melbourne, Fl and he has had Diabetes for 2 years and I am so happy to have found this site of Mom's and Dad's who care as much as I do! I have taken it very seriously and I've given 110% to help him in anyway possible! With accurate food measurements, his weight has come down from 20lb to 15.5 in 2 years. He was on Vetsulin for the entire 2 years starting out at 14 units and finally regulating 1.5 years later at 5 units!

When the Vetsulin came close to running out, I brought him into the Vet for fructosomine which was 269 (perfect range according to vet) and a new curve on Humulin N. Day 1 (off Vetsulin since night before) - My vet called me surprised saying that his BS never went over 120 for the 8 hours there and he didn't give him any of the Humulin (we all thought it was strange) but to bring him back the second day. Day 2 - Vet stated no Humulin, his BS didn't go above 130 . I brought Smokey home with no Insulin and a Fructosomine appt. in 3 weeks.

Since being off Insulin, I'm a little paranoid so I check Smokey's blood twice a day... He had 1 day he scored at 161 but, since then he hasn't gone above 85.

I knew how to do everything perfectly when he was Insulin dependent and now I'm a little confused as to what time of day I should test him to see what I need to see accurately. For these 2 weeks, I've been testing anywhere from 5-10 hours after his meal. He eats 1/4 cup W/D food at 6:15am and 6:15pm.

I'm not sure what all this means and reading your OTJ posts keep me hopeful! Any feedback would be appreciated!

Thank you all!

2. Ronnie & Luna

Ronnie & Luna Well-Known Member

Hi there

the common time to test BG to make sure pancreas is working, is usually 3-4 hours after food(usually breakfast or dinner)
    But ECID (every cat is different) some kitties will maintain low numbers thru the day until next meal.

85 is pretty darn good thou! :mrgreen:

If you would like more eyes on your concerns, you are more than welcomed to post in the general Health forum if you like.

Good luck to you!

3. Smokey

Smokey Member

Thank you so much! I took your advice and also posted on the main board. He tested this morning at 64 3.5 hours after eating so keep your fingers crossed!!

4. Kathy and Kitty

Kathy and Kitty Well-Known Member

This is all very positive! We'll all be thinking good thoughts for you.

And don't hesitate to stick around this wonderful website, even if Smokey does go into remission. The support and information here are best in the world!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.