Help with proper feeding schedule

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Randi & Max (GA), Jan 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Randi & Max (GA)

Randi & Max (GA) Well-Known Member

I know every cat is different as are people's schedules but I would like suggestions as to what
    a good schedule would be to keep BG levels low and even.

Max is 18 pounds and should weigh 16 pounds. There are also 2 other cats in the house, 7 & 11 pounds.

I know what his calorie intake should be during the day.
    There is someone in the house all day with him so he can be on a schedule, or free fed.
    At a minimum, food is taken away 2 hours before AMPS and PMPS
    Any suggestions would be great.

2. Mary and Jolly

Mary and Jolly Member

Hi Randi,

I used to feed my cats strictly twice a day. Now, I feed Jolly 4 times a day, but smaller amounts. I have another non-diabetic cat too. I used to have different schedules, but found it easier just to feed them on the same schedule. The total for the day didn't change, just the frequency.
    Maybe take the total calories = total amount of food per day and divide into smaller meals. I think it's easier on the pancreas since Max is diabetic and needs to lose weight.
    HOWEVER, If his BG's are still not well controlled, I would not restrict food intake for now if he is always hungry. I had to wait until Jolly was regulated before being strict about food quantity. I hope this helps a little and maybe others will give more suggestions soon.

3. Ronnie & Luna

Ronnie & Luna Well-Known Member

Hi Randi, welcome home!

One of my favourite suggestions is to read and re-read Dr Lisa's website on feline nutrition.
    http://catinfo.org/
    http://catinfo.org/feline_obesity.htm

I do recommend taking the portion you feed all day and breaking it up into smaller meals. This worked for us with Luna, but only after a couple of months of experimenting and a lot of patience. And also only after his numbers and his overall well being improved.
    Yes he was eating a lot more in the first couple of months of DX, this is very common in unregulated cats. I didn't have the overweight issue, he was underweight at the time.

Let's see what other suggestions you get throughout the day.

4. Randi & Max (GA)

Randi & Max (GA) Well-Known Member

Thanks Ronnie
    Great to be back (well only because of my kitties)
    I will reread DR. Lisa again.

I'm always afraid they will be hungry and Max has slimmed down a bit. Going to weigh him tonight.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.