help with dosing

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by sengibous, Mar 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sengibous

sengibous Member

We are extremely new to PZI (yesterday) and I'm not sure when I should decide to hold off on a shot. He's currently at 161 (+10). It's been slowly but continuously lowering since this mornings dose. Felt like I should ask this now before people start to go to bed and no one's on when I need help. If it stays in the 100s should I feed him, test a little later, and then decide?

2. dmartini4

dmartini4 Well-Known Member

I am sorry no one was around.
    If his number is not rising do not shoot.
    we say for newbies do not shoot under 200
    wait 20-30 minutes and retest. If they are rising and over 200 shoot
    if not do not shoot, wait and retest if possible
    What did you do?

3. dmartini4

I see you did not shoot, great call
    I am thinking that 1 unit might be a little too much
    He might be high at +12 today because you did not shoot
    but I still think maybe you should reduce to .50 or .75 even with the higher number later
    Oh and never shoot mid cycle

4. sengibous

sengibous Member

Okay but now we're freaking out. I got him to eat like 2 tiny bites by hand feeding him (this is really unlike him), tried to pick him up and he screamed and bit me (really really unlike him). His breathing has been labored lately and the vet isn't sure why. I posted a 911 under the health section but unfortunately it seems as though I'm now waiting for the east coast to wake up.

5. dmartini4

Can you get a BG number?
    Have you tested for ketones?
    Do you think he is in pain?
    Sounds like maybe a vet visit is in order

so just so I understand, he is not eating and it seems like he is in pain when you pick
    him up?
    anything else?

6. sengibous

sengibous Member

To add a little more background Monday he got a comprehensive blood work done. His liver, kidney, thyroid,etc is all normal. The only things showing up are high glucose levels (obviously) and a bacterial infection (he's on amoxicillin). Called a 24 hour vet but they were unable to help me because I can't pay them upfront. The only thing they were willing to do is put him down. And I'm not at that point.

7. dmartini4

NO, that is terrible!
    ok, well 2 things, first thing you should do it test for ketones..do you have any strips
    Is he still not eating, if you think he is in pain, it could the pancreatitus
    can you get to a vet this afternoon?

8. sengibous

sengibous Member

I don't have any strips. DCIN is sending them to me. They did check for ketones at the vet and it wasn't a problem. This was Monday. His current BG is 181. My vet opens in 5 hours. Just in case I collapse I have an alarm set. He's had some labored breathing (exaggerated exhale) going on. The vet is aware and we've been talking about doing a radiograph of his chest and abdomen.

9. dmartini4

ok, has he been tested for asthma?
    I really dont know I am sorry, at least no ketones on Monday so that is good
    try not to panic(YEs I know how hard that is!)
    and all you can do is take him to the vet when they open later
    Hang in there and I really hope everything is ok

10. sengibous

sengibous Member

No he hasn't been tested for asthma. But we are counting down the hours until the vet opens now. I really hope everything's okay. We keep having crap happen then everything seeming okay then it hits.. And it's coming in 12-24 cycles it feels like ever since he was diagnosed on Friday. I'm trying not to panic but it's really hard especially when I should really be sleeping (3am here). I guess the best thing I can do is go lay on the couch with him until the vet opens. Will try and get a little shut eye but not sure if that's possible. Thanks for answering me though. It has helped a little. Still can't believe the 24 emergency said that to me. I screamed NO!!!! as soon as she said that. How can they offer that if we don't even fully know what's wrong???? If he were a human no dr would have suggested anything of the sort. And for a animal hospital to say it!!!

11. dmartini4

I am really shocked that they said that to you...they havent even seen him!!
    Ugg, its so hard to find a good vet!
    Try to lay down for a while with him, it might help both of you
    this is what we are all here for, to try to help each other through each day
    I know it doesnt feel like it right now, but it does get better..
    keep us posted and hang in there

12. Grayson & Lu

Grayson & Lu Well-Known Member

Good morning -

Glad Denise was there with you earlier - I know exactly how you feel ...watching the clock turn until you can finally get to the vet. I am unfamiliar w/ athsma in cats, so I'll leave that to others that may be able to help.

Did he have the discomfort in his stomach at the vet on Monday? When did he stop being interested in his food? Is it possible he's not dealing well w/ the antibiotic? Just like in humans, some meds don't agree with us and they need something else.

Kim (kse) has a cat Kitty, who's had pancreatitus more than once. Her prefered antibiotic is zenniquin - it's more broad-based. Might be worth asking for it. Your cat may also need fluids. My vet did them once in the office, showing me how, and I've been giving them to Grayson once or twice a day since. Although Graysons are part of his treatment for the ketones, it is a multi-purpose treatment. It gets fluids into his system so he's not dehydrated - especially when he's not eating/drinking enough. I look at it like Gatorade - it's probably not, but you see the comparison.

You were smart not shooting. For me, initially, I did not shoot anything under 250. And when it was 251, I shot half of what I was giving him. When Grayson first started on insulin, he danced some REALLY long cycles. Like 24 hours instead of 12. It may be that your cat is adjusting to this new hormone, giving him prolonged cycles. It's nights like last night that we're so glad we're testing. I came home one night at 7 pm to shoot Grayson, and he had a 138. I retested, and it was 125. Since he'd started at 400+, I thought GEEZ, if I'd have shot blindly, I would've killed him! SOOOOOO glad you're testing!

Hopefully the two of you got some rest, and the vet will be open soon and you can be in the door. Good luck. Hopefully it will be something minimal and he'll be feeling better soon.

Lu-Ann

13. sengibous

sengibous Member

14 more minutes until they're open. Got a couple hours of sleep. Hopefully they can get him in asap. I even tried to bribe him with tuna (his absolute favorite and no go). We're definitely going to look into pancreatitis. But I'm going throw on some clothes so i can be ready to run out the door just in case they can get him right now. Will let you all know

14. sengibous

sengibous Member

Last night was the first time he hasn't wanted to eat. He's been on amoxicillin for for 2 weeks now. we have an appt in 45 minutes thank goodness.

15. Angela&Henry

Angela&Henry Well-Known Member

Sending prayers.

16. Rob & Harley (GA)

Rob & Harley (GA) Well-Known Member

Good luck at the Vet.

Let us know how it goes.

17. sengibous

sengibous Member

Things aren't looking very good right now. They want to an X-ray but he doesn't even want to be touched. Starting to wonder if he's unnecessarily suffering. This is the second time in a week I'm bawling my eyes out at a vet

18. dmartini4

You are both in my thoughts and prayers
    Hoping they can figure out what is wrong

19. Rob & Harley (GA)

Know that we are there with you in spirit.

Big gentle hug.

20. sengibous

sengibous Member

He has a large amount of fluid around his lungs. And he's in a lot of pain and suffering. I'm having to make the most heartbreaking choice a pet owner ever has to make. I'm going to be saying goodbye to my baby boy.

21. Grayson & Lu

Grayson & Lu Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry this is happening. If this is the path you and the vet decide is best, know in your heart that it is, as difficult as it is, the right choice for your baby. You've both been so fortunate to have each other, and it is the last gift that we can give them. To go peacefully in our loving arms.

God bless you both.

Lu-Ann

22. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

(((((Stephanie))))) I am so very sorry. Fly free, dear Kale. wings_cat

23. OMG, damnit NO! Is it pneumonia? Oh Stephanie I am so heartbroken to read this. My heart and prayers go out to you.

Carl

24. Catannc

Catannc Member

Stephanie,

I am so sorry, you've been put through so much and I know how hard this is and how sick you must feel. I'm not one to cry, but I did for you and Kale. My deepest sympathies.

Cathy

25. sengibous

sengibous Member

He had a pleural effusion. Just too much fluid around his heart and lungs and he wasn't healthy enough for anesthesia. He was screaming everytime someone tried to pick him up or move him. I just couldn't let him suffer anymore. He was in too much pain. I was with him when he passed and was able to hold him again before he left me. I know he's in a better place now but I'm so heartbroken right now. thank you all for everything.

Stephanie

26. Rob & Harley (GA)

((((((Stephanie))))))

I'm so sorry for your loss, there are no words to take away your pain.

Fly free Kale wings_cat land ever so softly back in your mama's heart.

Robin

27. kse

kse Well-Known Member

I am very sorry for your loss. It is so hard to let them go.

Kim

28. donnahc

donnahc Well-Known Member

Oh Stephanie, I am so sorry for all you have had to go thru. May all the good memories get you thru this very sad time.
    wings_cat

29. bookw0rm

bookw0rm Well-Known Member

:YMHUG:

30. Jenn & Baxter

Jenn & Baxter Well-Known Member

Stephanie...I am in tears over this! I just can't believe it. You just became part of the PZI family. How could this be?
    I am so so very sorry. I can't imagine your heartache. Please know that Kale loved you so much for everything you did for him over the last 9 1/2 years. Let those memories turn your tears into smiles.

I am praying for you my friend! :YMHUG:
    Jennifer

31. dmartini4

Stephanie,
    My deepest sympathies to you
    I can only imagine what you are feeling
    Fly free dear Kale wings_cat

32. Marcy & Klinger (GA)

Marcy & Klinger (GA) Well-Known Member

I am so sorry for your loss. Fly free Kale and land ever so softly at the bridge. rb_icon
    Marcy & Klinger

33. Charley

Charley Member

Dear Stephanie,
    I am so sorry to hear. Huge hugs. wings_cat

34. Angela&Henry

Angela&Henry Well-Known Member

Dear Stephanie, I'm so sorry for your loss, This was so unexpected. You've been through so much since Kale was diagnosed.
    Its so very hard, but you did what was right, you didn't let Kale suffer in pain and discomfort.
    I know that doesn't help much, but its true.
    Take the time you need to grieve for him.
    I know you loved your Kale very much and you'll see him again at the bridge.
    Fly free, sweet Kale, land in the soft grass at Rainbow Bridge. wings_cat rb_icon cat_pet_icon

35. Barbara

Barbara Well-Known Member

Stephanie, I'm so sorry for your loss. They are never with us long enough!

Fly free sweet Kale & land ever so softly at the bridge.

wings_cat

36. Lydia & Sid & Jake(GA)

Lydia & Sid & Jake(GA) Well-Known Member

((((Stephanie)))) I am in tears over this. I am so sad for you and what you have gone through the last few days trying to do everything you can for Kale. I am so very sorry.

Lydia

37. lauramarie

lauramarie Member

I am so sorry, Stephanie. My heart goes out to you

Laura

38. Catlady38

Catlady38 New Member

I am so sorry for your loss! You made the best decision you could have made! he is no longer suffering or in pain... hope that gives you some relief comfort! :cry:

39. Doug N Libby

Doug N Libby Well-Known Member

Oh, Stephanie -

I am soo sorry for all you've gone through. I know it was a heart-wrenching decision and you will miss Kale terribly. Take comfort in knowing you did all you could for him and that he was so fortunate to have a mamabean who loved him so very much.

Praying for your comfort and sweet memories of your time with Kale,

Libby

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.