Help with Dosing for Buddy G.

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Jessica5Cats, Nov 22, 2021.

  1. Jessica5Cats

    Jessica5Cats New Member

    Dec 22, 2020
    My cat Buddy has been out of remission for just over a month. His numbers continue to be high so the vet kept raising his dose. (Started at 1u, then 2u, then 2.5u.) I have concerns that the dosage is too high since some days his PMPS is under 200 so I skip the shot. (His vet advised to only give his AM shot, but I don't think that's correct.) I lowered his dose to 2u for the past 3 days, and now I'm concerned because last night's PMPS and this morning's AMPS read "HI" off the meter / 600+. So I increased his dose back to 2.5units though I'm unsure if I should have.

    I really need advice on dosing-- what dose to hold, how long to hold it for, do I hold it despite high numbers? Help is really appreciated. I'm so worried about his numbers being high for so long and "all over the place."
    His spreadsheet is up-to-date and in my signature.

    Thank you so much
  2. FrostD

    FrostD Well-Known Member

    May 27, 2020
    Hi there!

    Is there anything you can think of that may have knocked him out of remission? Illness, needing a dental, steroid use?

    I would hold the 2U for a few days here to see if he settles down a bit.

    Couple of housekeeping items:
    • He fasts for 2 hrs before preshot, correct?
    • Are you able to completely remove the dry food? I ask because that would allow you to do a more aggressive dosing protocol that may help get him lower more quickly (you can increase every 2-5 days based on nadir vs waiting a full week)
    • Remember that dose is based on nadir. So although it sucks to see those high numbers, his nadirs are fairly good.
    • What's your feeding schedule? What foods at what times (i.e. +2, +3)
    • We do strongly recommend a before bed test around +2 or +3, it can give you an indication of where he's headed.
    • Make sure you have a hypo kit and test for ketones
    • ProZinc is dosed every 12 hours

    Hes bouncing a lot. It's normal, he should settle down a bit eventually. Today is a bounce, I expect him to break it and come down tonight or tomorrow.

    200 is the shoot/no shoot threshold until you get more data. If you get something close to it, say 170-199, you can try something like a half dose (assuming you can keep an eye on him). 150-179, you can try a token dose - about 10% of normal dose - again assuming you can keep an eye on him. The goal is lower the number at which you can safely shoot. It's generally better to give some insulin vs skipping.
  3. FrostD

    FrostD Well-Known Member

    May 27, 2020

Share This Page