Help needed using digital caliper

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by OlivesMom, Sep 1, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OlivesMom

OlivesMom Member

I just got my digital caliper, watched a video or two and read an article on how to measure, but the problem is I'M AN IDIOT and still can't figure it out. lol. Anyone here using the Walgreens U-100 0.3 ml syringes? My syringes are not cooperating as the zero line is either crooked or different in all of them. When measuring with the caliper, do I measure where the zero line is and straight down to the half unit mark to get my digital number for a half unit, then divide that number in half for the half unit and then divide the half unit in half to get my 0.25 digital number for a quarter IU? Because in the videos, the zero line is different from the Walgreens brand. If I line the arm of the caliper up at the top of the syringe, then none of the zero lines are accurate. When I depress the plunger the plunger goes slightly above the zero line. Any help with this would be appreciated.

jt and trouble (GA) likes this.
  2. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

If its any comfort I have a hard time focusing on stuff like that too. Besides this will bump you to the top.:p

3. OlivesMom

OlivesMom Member

Thanks! Do you have any suggestions for which syringes are clearer to read than others? I have found the BD Ultra fines to be even more challenging to differentiate from the half unit to the zero mark than the Walgreens one. Why on earth can't they just make a quarter unit syringe for cats!!

4. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

5. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

If you don't get replies here, Robyn, I suggest posting this question as an 'Off-topic' thread on the Lantus/Basaglar/Levemir board. There are members there who regularly use calipers.

Mogs

6. jt and trouble (GA)

No I'm sorry I dont. I would follow the above suggestions.

7. OlivesMom

OlivesMom Member

Okay, thanks!

8. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

So for calipers. Look at your syringes and find all the ones that has the zero line consistent in the proper place. Then on calipers make sure they are closed and set for mm. Once you have a syringe where the zero line is actually zero. Turn on calipers and slowly measure out 1 unit. I always used the large arms, some use the small arms on the calipers. Which ever way you do, you need to measure using the same arms each time. Write down the number you get for the 1 unit.

Then close the calipers and push the zero button. Take the dose you want to give and multiply by the number you got on the caliper. Example: if the number on the caliper for 1 unit is 1.25 x 0.25 units =(0.3125) you give, you will then start with calipers on zero and open them until you get to 0.3125. Lock the position. As long as you are giving that dose you do not need to change it.

Any time you change dose you need to recalculate. It helps to keep a list as dose changes. If you use different brand of syringes, you have to start from scratch.

9. OlivesMom

OlivesMom Member

I will certainly do my best. Appreciate the help so much.

10. jt and trouble (GA)

Gotta give you credit I dont think I could do all that. :oops:
    BRAVO!

OlivesMom likes this.
  11. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

It's really easy. Once you have it set for your current dose, you lock the setting. Don't need to change it until you change the dose.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.