Help needed - dosing ??? Buffy 213 at +10...

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Buff-puff, May 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Buff-puff

Buff-puff Member

Maybe I should have upped her dose days ago, but she had that low of 92 at +6 so I held off.

I finally increased her dose this a.m. by 0.2 units (now 2.2u). Her #s have improved but I'm wondering if the slight increase could have affected her this quickly? She seems rather low to me, but I'm used to seeing her with high numbers and now am afraid she'll drop too fast.

Could someone take a look at her SS and advise further? I realize things may change in the next 2 hours but it's storming here and I might be down at that time.

Thanks!!

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

hi buff puff, you really need to gage the dose by what she gives you at +12. if it's lower than usual go accordingly. do not go above that 2.2 you set today.
    go by the #'s ok, you don't want to feed a working pancrease...or one that's trying to work.

3. Buff-puff

Buff-puff Member

Hey Lori, thanks so much for helping. I'm such a wreck, afraid I'll make a mistake. Does the 2.2 dose look like it was okay? Do her numbers look like a pancreas that's trying to work? I'll check her PMPS in another hour and post back.

Thank you :D

4. Buff-puff

Buff-puff Member

She's at 430/436 - checked twice - so I'm shooting 2.2u.

Seems like a sharp jump, but she basically ended up where she was this a.m.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

yes that was what i would have done. i'll take a look at you ss again.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

hi buff, just studied you SS and i think you are doing a fantastic job of 'slow and go' and not panicking. just want to applaud your restraint and i think your definetly doing good by buff puff...and if i may, what is YOUR name?

7. Buff-puff

Buff-puff Member

Thanks for the encouragement....but I'm down to nubs here nailbite_smile !!! :mrgreen:

Nancy, but I'll answer to Buff! :razz:

8. Kelly & Oscar

Kelly & Oscar Well-Known Member

You can sometimes get 'honeymoon' good numbers on the first cycle or two of a dose change. I usually do not assess a dose increase until 24-48 hours after changing the dose because the cycles will usually even out by then. Once Buffy gets a build up of the 2.2u in his system he will start to zoom less (hopefully - Oscar likes to throw the book out the window lol).

9. Buff-puff

Buff-puff Member

I'll keep that in mind. This is the first increase I've done since testing at home. The smidgen more seems to have affected her a bit. She usually is okay even in the high 300s, but today has seemed less herself and sort of down.

Not sure what you mean by "zoom" -- going from 214 to 436? Do you know what would be a normal interval with the curve?

10. Kelly & Oscar

Kelly & Oscar Well-Known Member

That's correct - 'zoom' is like going from 214 to 436 in a short time frame. Sometimes such a zoom to high numbers can cause kitty to not feel well also. Your curve is a normal one for a kitty still getting used to a dose. The bg zooms because the insulin has completely worn out of kitty's system. The goal is to find the magic dose that gives just enough overlap so that the zoom doesn't happen all while keeping kitty above 60 at the lowest point.

11. Buff-puff

Buff-puff Member

Come on magic dose :mrgreen: -- then maybe I can sleep. ;-)

Just checked her +2 and she's coming down gradually. She's perked up and has had me following her all over the house. Then she wanted to hide under a blanket and act all ferocious. :D

12. Buff-puff

Buff-puff Member

Lori --- if you're around - could you look at Buffy's evening #s? Is she rebounding?

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

will do

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

you know what's interesting nancy. the first hours she came down, then the 2nd hour she went up.. this is what i read into that. after eatting the pancrease naturally kicks in immediatly to get at the initial glucose intake...by the 2nd hour you've got the insulin kicking in and you may have the liver sensing too much insulin in the blood and throwing out it's own supply of glucose.
    i want to look more at you SS but that was my first thought on why it went down and up so quickly. in reality it should have been the exact opposite so something in the dosing is wrong. lets keep an eye.
    i'm going back to your ss.

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

ok i see it. she was on her way down before the shot. she was lower than her mid cycle. you shot and for the very first time on your entire ss she actually went up after a shot.
    i am no expert but i'd have waited an hour to see if she was still coming down. this is a example of panicky liver IMHO

16. Buff-puff

Buff-puff Member

Thanks Lori! Trying to think what happened. She had a different food this evening, Wellness chicken. She didn't even eat 1/3 of 5.5 oz can so she nibbled on a few pieces of Whiskas. Would have sent it up like that? Her vet approved so I gave a little to supplement her dinner.

Also, she missed the litter box earlier, but it surprised her that she did that. She turned around to rake and then just looked over the edge with a puzzled look when she saw it had missed. There was a puddle so I tested for ketones and was negative.

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

oh the whiska's is dry? you gave the forbidden?
    well yes that could explain it but how about the #'s kinda coming down from the +7 to the +12...it was 20 or 30 points lower. she may have been on her way down somemore.
    i never like to shoot when i see a amps or pmps going down like that..better to wait an hour or two.

18. Buff-puff

Buff-puff Member

I see what you mean. I was looking at 326 as being okay to shoot (as it wasn't at no shoot range of 200), and thought I should dose as usual.

Let me add this into the mix and see if you think it could have been something I did differently this evening:
    She had 2 small snacks rather than free feed - one between +2 and +4, and another at +6 and +8.
    Then from +9 through PMPS, she didn't have anything, so she dropped. I generally only wait 10 minutes or less after eating to shoot. But this evening, since she went a while without free feeding, I fed her and then had to wait half hour until time to shoot - IOW she ate at 8:00 and insulin at 8:30.

I realize it's late but if you could think about this, I'd greatly appreciate anything you have to add that might educate me. :mrgreen: Thanks.

EDIT:
    I need to wean her from it, I know. But she's never had a great lot of dry, has always gotten mostly canned. Is there ANY dry that's okay? Or should I stick to wet only? I just bought some Wellness dry thinking it would be better than the Whiskas.

19. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

sent you a pm

20. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

nice drop +4

21. Buff-puff

Buff-puff Member

I thought so too :D

Just PM'd you. Can't say it enough ----Thank you for your help!

22. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

nancy keep an eye on that this morning....that's one HUGE drop +2 and you still have 2-4 hours before nadar. if buff is hungry give a little (WET!) ok. you know how you feel when your blood sugar suddenly tanks...that's how buff feels. maybe weak, shaky.
    it does'nt take low blood sugar, just a sudden drop to give you that feeling.

23. Buff-puff

Buff-puff Member

I'm watching her like a hawk, even waking her up when she's snoozing and she's getting upset with me. Right now she feels really good, wanting to play, etc. She loves the Wellness chicken - I'll offer some for a snack. Thanks... :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.