HELP!!! commercial food in UK?????

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Foxycat, Jan 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Foxycat

Foxycat New Member

confused_cat Hi everypawdy!
    Im new to FDMB and im really hoping someone can shed some light on this for me :)

I have spent hours scouring the internet laptop_smiley looking for an alternative moist cat food to give to my cat.
    Scampi was diagnosed Diabetic about 2 years ago. So far it has been managed by food only. And she has never needed insulin.
    She is fed at the moment on Purina DM and the rest of my kitty clan are fed on Whiskas pouches
    i am looking for a food that i can give all my kitties that is suitable for Scampi also.
    So far i have found that in America there is a Purina food called FANCY FEAST but over here the only thing i can find that looks similar is Purina Gourmet!?!
    I have looked at the pouches and tins but cant see anything on there about the Carb content!

I would REEEEEEEALY appreciate any help that anyone can give me on finding a purrrrfect food for my kitties.

Many thanks :D

cat_pet_icon

2. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

3. Ronnie & Luna

Ronnie & Luna Well-Known Member

HI!!

try this link for non-U.S foods, including U.K...the FDMB does have some U.K and European members and I'm pretty sure they will pop in once they see the "UK" in ur thread

http://binkyspage.tripod.com/nonusfd.html

Good luck!

4. Monique & Spooky

Monique & Spooky Well-Known Member

Purina Gourmet Gold is the same as Fancy Feast. Almost any of the "pate" varieties are acceptable and low carb. The Whiskas pouch food are also ok, best are the Whiskas Puurrfectly Pouches. Felix as good as it looks is also low carb. There are possibly other non-name brands (supermarket varities) that are also good. I have found that several of the discounter brands are actually manufactured by the name brand companies and are basically the same just a few cents cheaper.

If you intrested in order foods I can recommend this site http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/canned_cat_food_pouches The company is from Germany but they deliver all over Europe on orders over 29 pounds the shipping is free!

I have fed the Gourmet Gold turkey pate, Whiskas Mmmmm pouches, Felix as good as it looks, Miamor pastete, Animonda Rafine, and Almo nature.

Just avoid ones that have jelly or sauce, read the labels they should not contain sugar, or plant starch (used often to thicken sauces).

5. Foxycat

Foxycat New Member

Thank you all for the quick responses i got to my question :D what lovely helpful people!! :)
    i cant get the link :

http://www.geocities.com/jmpeerson/nonusfd.html

to work :(
    but i did manage to look at Binky's non US food table which was very interesting!

I have always fed my cats Whiskas pouches and this is what Scampi was being fed on when she was diagnosed as soon as she came off it and went onto the Purina DM food her levels were normal :? which is why i wanted to take my other kitties off it, but when reading the table it looks low in carbs?!?

lol im now more confused than ever!! haha!! doesnt take much!! ;-)

6. Foxycat

Foxycat New Member

Hi Monique and Spooky,
    Almo Nature was one of the foods i have looked at on the internet...did Spooky like it?

7. Lisa and Merlyn (GA)

Lisa and Merlyn (GA) Well-Known Member

I just wanted to correct the link to Janet and Binkys site/charts.. geocities closed down so they are at
    http://binkyspage.tripod.com/canfood.html

and this might help you understand how Janet got the numbers..
    http://binkyspage.tripod.com/canfood.html

Welcome aboard!

8. squeem3

squeem3 Well-Known Member

9. Monique & Spooky

Monique & Spooky Well-Known Member

Well...Spooky is/was a dry food junkie and it took me almost a year to get him switched to wet food. He is still very picky and only eats a few types. At the time I tried the Almo he was still not convinced that canned food was really food, so he didn't eat much of it. My other cat Socks was however more than happy to eat Spooky's portion! He really liked it. It is a human quality food and is mostly pure muscle meat. I fed them the chicken with shrimps a few times it was (from memory) abiout 70% chicken brest meat, 10% shrimps, some chicken broth, vitamins and minerals, and about 1% carobohydrates. I think it is a very good quality food. I find it a little to pricey for a regular diet but i have no problem feeding it as a Sunday morning special :D Socks is currently eating a store brand that is comparable to Whiskas canned pate varieties which have about 8% carbs. Spooky is eating Animonda Rafine (the one in the kitty shaped tins) or sometimes Miamor pastete or Gormet Gold pate. I have been mixing some of Socks food in with his trying to get him to eat something cheaper as well. I prefer the Miamor over the Gormet Gold because they are the same size cans (85g) and cost the same but the Miamor has much higher "meat" percent in most varieties than the GGold.
    Miamor Turkey has min. 20% turkey the G Gold min. 4%

ETA: I just looked it up

Almo natur:
    Product Description:

* Natural ingredients of a quality fit for human consumption:
    o Freshly caught sea fish - no farmed fish
    o Real free-range meat - no hormones and antibiotics used in rearing
    * Processed carefully using purely mechanical means the meat is cooked and cut, entirely without chemical treatment to prevent the loss of nutrients
    * The food is preserved in its own stock so that nutrients and taste are maintained
    * Without additives of any kind, whether chemical preservatives or other additives - especially loved by cats for its simplicity and authenticity

Chicken & Shrimps:
    chicken 55%, shrimps 20%, stock 24%, rice 1%
    Moisture 78%, raw protein 20%, raw fat 3.5%, raw ash 2%, raw fibre 1%, energy: 742 Kcal/kg

Compare:
    Gormet Gold Chicken: meat and animal by-products (min. 4% chicken), minerals and vegetable by-products
    Miamor :poultry: meat and animal by-products (poultry 25 %), minerals

10. Foxycat

Foxycat New Member

Hi everyone, hope you all had a fab weekend! :)

Thank you all for your help!!

After looking into it over the weekend i have decided to try my kitty clan on the Almo and the Tesco brand that was on the chart!

My kittys go to bed with a few biscuits in their bowls at bedtime and i have found a cereal free dry food with 80% chicken and cranberry extract for the Urinary tract

http://www.mpmproducts.co.uk/applaws_dr ... on=applaws

So im going to order the foods and try them on it for a week and get Scampi's levels checked to see how she is doing on it :)

hope everyone and their kitties are well,
    Many thanks for all your help guys :D

P.s.
    Scampi sometimes vomits her whole bowl of food straight up before it has been digested does anyone else have this problem??
    Its prolly just her being greedy and eating her food too quick!

11. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

Glad things are looking up. It feels so much better when you begin to get some kind of control over what is happening.

It would be good to get rid of the dry food as soon as you can. Read Dr. Lisa's website to understand why dry is just not a good plan: http://www.catinfo.org Even a few pieces daily can raise some cats's bg levels.

As for the greedy eater. You might feed a couple tablespoons at a time until she slows down. You can also freeze wet food and have her snack on it. (This works well with some cats. I have to admit, Oliver dragged the frozen food all over the house, trying to get pieces off. It was a mess.) The other option might be a automatic feeder. They are wonderful. You can set it to feed at various intervals during the day.

12. Lisa dvm

Lisa dvm Member

I was recently quoted....well....MISquoted but that is another subject.....in a Daily Mail article about pet food in the UK.

This lead to the following email being sent to me. This company understands that dry food is not an appropriate diet for cats. Therefore, they are making a canned food only.

Dear Dr Pierson

We are an organic pet food company in London - we set up only a year ago after I had so many problems with food for my dog, Lily. In a nutshell, my brother is a vet and suggested creating a list of really good, healthy foods for companion animals - hence Lily's Kitchen was born. www.lilyskitchen.co.uk

We produce four recipes for cats and kittens which are certified organic and contain no grain - 60-65% real organic meat (not carcass) as well as some herbs, spirulina and 5% vegetables. NO flavourings, sugars etc. It took nearly two years to gather the ingredient suppliers for these recipes and find kitchens who were willing to make our foods. Making organic recipes means that they have to clean down all their machinery before they can produce our food - and you can imagine not many places were willing to do this!

My reason for emailing you is that we would love to refer customers to your site and hope this is OK with you. We do not produce a dry cat food and have no intention of doing this because we believe that this is the cause of so many UTI's and kidney problems in felines.

Would you mind if we refer people to your site? You write very clearly about all the reasons why dry cat food is a bad idea and I think this would be really helpful for people to understand.

Many thanks for reading.

Best wishes
    Henrietta Morrison

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.