? HELP 1st day using prozinc -Dosing QUESTION

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Andrea L 66, Jun 27, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Andrea L 66

Andrea L 66 New Member

Hello, I'm Andrea and Willow is my cat. We just started on Prozinc after treating originally with Lantus. We were having a hard time getting din=wn to a dose where we were not having low numbers mid shot.
    So after a resting period we are starting with Prozinc.
    Last night was first dose starting with one unit. Willow was 305 pmps , 259 +2, 67 +4, 60 40 min later, 80 1.5 hours later. In response to the low numbers I gave low carb food, then with additional drop some higher carb food an treats. Once she hit 80 I had to go to bed so no further testing.
    My big question is would you skip next shot? I have to go to work soon and won't be able to monitor. MY gut is telling me I should skip but I need to get her on regular dosing. I am guessing that dose is too high but I'm not sure how soon to reduce or how much.

She is at 355 this AM

jt and trouble (GA) likes this.
  2. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

I cannot give dosing advice but I see your spread sheet isnt current. I think those that do give advice will ask you to update it. Keep checking back for replies ok?

3. Andrea L 66

Andrea L 66 New Member

I added to it. There are 2 in my signature the one with Prozinc in title is the most current. Thank you for the reminder JT.

4. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

I would consider reducing the dose to 0.5u. I'd also make sure food was available while you're gone. Skipping is also fine if you're worried. You can always give a reduced dose this evening.

5. Andrea L 66

Andrea L 66 New Member

Thank You for the quick response. I am nervous about leaving her alone. She keeps doing this we were on 1/2 unit of Lantus and we kept having the same issue. I work a job where I am gone for 12 hours a day so it is hard to keep dosing on schedule let alone doing mid-day testing. I am feeling like a failure at this. She has only had one crash where we saw obvious symptoms beyond extreme lethargy. But they all scare the hell out of me.

I think for today I will skip am shot. Is it okay to reduce when she has only had the single dose?

6. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

You are NOT a failure.

When switching insulin, you would start at the same dose as the previous insulin.

What I would have suggested with Lantus, will apply with Prozinc. You need to test more often. This will give you greater control over what's going on. Lantus dosing, along with most insulin, is based on the nadir -- the lowest number in the cycle. If you're only getting pre-shot numbers, you don't know what's happening at nadir. Pre-shot tests tell you whether it's safe to give insulin. The spot checks let you know if numbers are dropping and if you need to intervene to stop dropping numbers.

7. Andrea L 66

Andrea L 66 New Member

I can only test more often on my days off. But I will try to do that more consistently. I am terrified that she is going to go HYPO while I am at work. It is one of the reasons I took a while to restart with new insulin.

BTW thank you for all of the help!

8. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Andrea,

I second you’re not a failure! You’re monitoring her which is way more than most folks do. You said “we” is there someone else that could maybe help with the midday tests? Just a thought. I live alone so once I go back to work, it will be impossible for me as well :( we can only do the best we can :cat:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.