Hello I need some advice.

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Jacquelene Kielbek, Aug 8, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jacquelene Kielbek

Jacquelene Kielbek New Member

Hello everyone I am asking if anyone can help in anyway. I have two cats with diabetes. One is Porsche she is 17 years old a domestic short hair. She is doing well has not had any issues for five years now. The other cat is Benny he is a Bengal and has had diabetes for two years now. He is on Caninsulin 3.5 cc twice daily. Last week he developed issues with his urine and he is leaking. I took him to the vet he says he believes it to be a nerve issue and will not resolve its self. He put him on Viaderm KC cream I apply twice daily on his scrotum. He is on Metacam 5 cc daily and Zeniquin 2.5 daily. Some days he eats fine and other days I must force feed him. I bath him once daily in oatmeal and then apply cornstarch to the area's that the cream is not on. The vet thinks I shall need to make a decision on his future. He is maintaining his weight and I just would like to try everything possible for him. If you have any suggestions I am open to them. Thank you

2. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Welcome to FDMB.

Would I be correct in assuming you're not in the US? I'm making that assumption because your using Caninsulin (it's called Vetsulin in the US and it's not routinely prescribed here) and Metacam. Metacam is not frequency used here since it is known to cause kidney failure in cats.

Did your vet run any lab tests? I'd be particularly curious as to what Benny's kidney values were. Are you home testing? If so, what do Benny's blood glucose numbers look like. Many cats that are in high numbers at the time of diagnosis are drinking copious amounts of water and urinating excessively -- some to the point that they don't maintain good bladder control. What is the purpose of the oatmeal baths and cornstarch? Also, you should be aware that the Viaderm KC is a steroid cream. It will likely cause Benny's blood glucose levels to be considerably higher. Generally, you want to avoid steroids if at all possible in diabetics.

jt and trouble (GA) likes this.
  3. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

Welcome to FDMB Theres a wealth of information here with good folks t help you decipher it all. I dont have answers for your specific questions. Lets hope someone here can help.
    Again welcome to the best site on the planet for helping you help Benny.
    jeanne

Critter Mom likes this.
  4. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Hi Jacquelene,

This is a bit of a shot in the dark but how well is Benny's regulation lately? Is there any chance that he might have a touch of diabetic neuropathy? It can sometimes affect bladder control, although it may be just lack of control at voiding time, not leakage as such. For information, diabetic neuropathy is treatable with B12 methylcobalamin supplementation (can take a few months, depending on the severity of the neuropathy).

Fingers and paws crossed that the meds and Viaderm cream will help get Benny better soon. Not sure whether this is any help to you but if there's a problem with leaked urine irritating the skin, it might be an idea to ask the vet whether clipping the fur round the affected area and using a little Sudocrem as a barrier might be a help.

Mogs

jt and trouble (GA) likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.