Has anyone gone from TR to SLGS because they just can't hack it?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by AliceR, Aug 29, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AliceR

AliceR Member

I am questioning my ability to handle TR... I can't test overnight, apparently can't remember to shoot insulin when I get distracted, and the drama of even a potential hypovent and subsequent bounce creates tension that exhausts me.

We started TR with the hope that Catman might be a candidate for remission but he is so bouncy I'm not sure that's likely. I realize we are still new to the game so I'm committed to giving TR more time.

I'm just curious whether people using SLGS are less tense. Our vet said to just leave him at two units and test his blood once a month which sounds irresponsible. It's hard to find the balance between self care and doing the best I can for this guy who has made us smile for 12 years.

2. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

I didnt TR Trouble. Heck I dont think it was a "thing" back in our day. Trouble went into remission and STAYED there the rest of his life.

Panic likes this.
  3. AliceR

AliceR Member

We kept Beardsley going without any protocol for 2 years and it was only because we didn't realize that he hadn't eaten because we had overnight house guests that we lost him to a hypo in 1998.

Now that we know better and have better insulin I doubt that would have happened. Heck, a new housekeeper started yesterday and Catman was locked in his bedroom with food and testing the whole time just so I could monitor him.

I need to find a middle ground.

4. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA) Well-Known Member

I’m having that issue having switched from SLGS to TR. I think SLGS is definitely less aggressive and less stressful since you’re not increasing as quickly. If you want to play it safe, I suggest SLGS for sure!

jt and trouble (GA) likes this.
  5. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

6. Elizabeth and Bertie

Elizabeth and Bertie Well-Known Member

Seconding this.
    ...It really is important that we feel comfortable with what we're doing. After all, we may be doing this dance for a long time...

When my first diabetic, Bertie, was diagnosed I truly agonised about how to manage his diabetes; whether to 'do this' or to 'do that' all felt SO urgent... (I tried just about every dosing method in existence in an effort to get some good numbers..) And it was really hard to give myself permission to step back, take a deep breath, and decide in my own time and in my own way how to move forward from that point.
    (In our case it turned out that I needn't have felt pressured about time: Bertie was on insulin for nearly 11 years before finally going into remission... :rolleyes: )

Eliz

Last edited: Aug 29, 2020
  7. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

Agreed, there's nothing wrong with trying a different method that works better. I was intimidated by TR but was recommended to switch because my girl really needed to stay in lower numbers longer; too many failed reductions at 90. I was able to test often though so it worked for me. Safety is important in considering methods so if you honestly feel uncomfortable sticking with TR it's not like switching to SLGS means you're giving up the chance of remission. :)

8. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

I started, very briefly with SLGS. I got so impatient with the high numbers and bounces and waiting for the full week before increasing to get my girl better. So I switched to TR. And I tested less than you are doing now. We've had people with medical issues that followed TR, who couldn't test as much as you, or stay up all night. As long as you can get that +2 or +3 at night, you can do TR.

Having said that, there is nothing wrong with backing down and switching for a while to give yourself a break. You have to take care of you, so you can take care of Catman. :bighug:

And many bouncy cats make it to remission, even some following SLGS. Also know that by testing and giving insulin, you are doing a lot more than many caregivers of diabetic cats.

9. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Regardless of whether you opt for TR or SLGS, you stillness to get at least a minimum of one test per cycle in addition to your pre-shot tests. It's important to remember that Lantus dosing is based on the nadir. If you never test at night, you are likely to miss a dose reduction.

Looking at Batman's SS, the only times I would. have nudged you to get another PM test is when he was in blue numbers. It would have been good to know in which direction the numbers were heading.

You've been doing a great job with testing. I don't think I got over my anxiety about whether Gabby would drop too low for months. She also liked to dive so I was either going to be in a perpetual state of panic or develop the confidence to know I could steer her numbers.

10. Mandy S

Mandy S Member

I'm very new to all this...we're at the end of our first month. I started out SLGS and several days ago went to TR, but I'm thinking that it might not be the best fit for me either. I find myself getting really anxious around pm shots because we test later in the evening at 10pm because that fits our schedule. But I start worrying about what if it's really low and there aren't as many people on the board to get advice from...or what if I don't get enough sleep. I actually slept through an important appointment I had for an ultrasound a few weeks ago. I was so embarrassed. If I tested earlier around dinner time we wouldn't be here to monitor her and that makes me nervous... but 10 pm makes for some really late nights if you have to monitor...and then morning comes early. :/ I don't think I can change it though.
    The thought of shooting low numbers makes extremely anxious, I'm not sure it would matter if I did SLGS, I imagine it's the same, but TR seems more intense for sure.

11. Wendy&Neko

Changing from TR to SLGS does not do away with the need to handle surprising lower numbers than expected at PMPS, nor the need to gather some night time data. Once you gather data on shooting gradually lower numbers, it becomes easier. Cats have a lot flatter, and more predictable, cycles with lower preshots.

jt and trouble (GA) and Mandy S like this.
  12. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

My record is being up until 5am testing. :rolleyes: That was on SLGS too. They can and will throw you for a loop no matter what. I don't recommend it because it probably made me a little crazy and caused me to start taking day naps but the last few months I ended up going to bed at 10, setting an alarm for 12 to test/feed, and again at 2am. Mostly because I didn't trust her to eat on time so I wanted to physically check. TR certainly puts you in better numbers overall (and you can already tell with Sissy!) but nothing ends up protecting you from surprise numbers during the sugar dance. A +2 is usually (not always) a good forewarning sign of what you'll have to deal with though.

jt and trouble (GA) and Mandy S like this.
  13. Mandy S

Mandy S Member

Yeah, I know it can go that way no matter what. I just feel like I'm losing it with this schedule. Tell me it gets better...lol
    My 13 year old can test Sissy as well as I can and I've thought about having her set an alarm and taking a night reading for me on nights I just have to sleep. Then she could wake me if needed. She can sleep a little later than I can. Today I had to be gone and I wanted to make sure Sissy was doing okay so I had her grab a +7 for me. She did it like a pro.

14. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

Haha! In your defense you test a LOT so I can see how you're wiped. The night of the 27th I can see why you tested after that 195 but last night (28th) after getting a 298 I probably would have called it good for the night. ;)

Wish I had a 13 year old helping me! Another set of hands makes a world of difference I'm sure.

15. Mandy S

Mandy S Member

I do test way too much. lol Part of that is anxiety driven...part of it is I just want to know how things work and I really am trying to figure out what all the numbers mean and how to figure out if something is a bounce or what flat means or whatever...and I am a visual learner so seeing it all there in color helps. I am planning on not testing as much at night...during the day while I'm working if she's around I test her just to see how her body is working. Now, if she was a cat that fought me about testing and was hard to do...I'd probably not do it as much so not to stress her out. But she doesn't care a bit. She'll gladly sit there and purr while you poke her...she's very treat motivated. lol

16. jayla-n-Drevon

jayla-n-Drevon Well-Known Member

My boy is very bouncy-i started with TR and it was very stressful for me I actually had chest pains- after a while I switched to slow and he is now diabetic for 6 years and bouncy as ever. I don't follow a protocol at this point as Dre is 21 and if he goes too low it is hard on both of us. I do my best to keep him around 150-200 on alpha track meter. Do what you feel is right, it is very difficult in the beginning especially with a long work day. Do something nice for yourself and take a deep breath:bighug:

17. jayla-n-Drevon

jayla-n-Drevon Well-Known Member

Getting lots of data is good-one of the first things I learned was KNOW THY CAT and it is so true-whatever you decide data alway is helpful

18. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

I believe that whichever method you decide to follow has to fit your life style and your stress level. I was terrified at first of low numbers once I started testing. I wouldn’t leave the house between +3-6. I was able to go that. It would not have worked for me to shoot at 10;00. I would have been up all night. I know lots of people work and doTR. I couldn’t have. But that’s me. Others are just fine. There’s no right or wrong in my mind.

19. Mandy S

Mandy S Member

Shooting at 10 sucks. But if I want consistent times it has to be there I think. I thought about going back to 9 but sometimes my daughter's activities are later and by the time we drive home it would be pushing it to be here by 9 at times. So to be safe I did 10. :/ I moved to TR thinking it would give her the best chance at remission, but I'm not sure my nerves can take it. When it gets an hour or two out from shot time at night I get so stressed the number will be low and I am SO scared of shooting low numbers. I know people say they get used to it and shoot super low...but I'm not sure that would ever be me.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2020
  20. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

You are up until 1:00 testing. If that number were lower you would need to stay up more hours. That’s not good for any of you. Don’t feel under pressure to do one or the other. Do what works for you. You can change at any time.

21. Mandy S

Mandy S Member

I'm having trouble sleeping tonight. It's not uncommon with my health issues.
    Me and Sissy are snuggling. She's trying to make it better. ❤

I read on here somewhere the other day about how to sometimes predict where the cycle is going by if the +2 or 3 numbers are...like lower than ps or something? Not sure where it is..know what I'm talking about?

22. Wendy&Neko

If the +2 is higher, it'll be a quiet cycle - go to sleep. She'll be safe.

23. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

TR may give a higher probability of a cat achieving remission BUT it is important to note that there are cats who do achieve remission without following TR.

As others have commented above, the method chosen for management of a diabetic cat must first and foremost be manageable for the caregiver.

Mogs

Mandy S likes this.
  24. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

Thats my Trouble!;):coffee:

Critter Mom and Mandy S like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.