Gremlin 24/10 - AMPS 295, +4 189, PMPS 239, +4 185 (update and photo)

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Laura and Gremlin (GA), Oct 23, 2020.

1. Laura and Gremlin (GA)

Laura and Gremlin (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi everyone,
    Thought I'd pop in and update.
    Grem started some weird behaviours earlier this month: waking me during the night and keeping me awake for an hour or more, sleeping in strange places, not sleeping well day or night, and other little things.
    He was due for his 6 monthly check up and tests so did that thinking he may have hyperthyroidism again. His tests came back near on perfect! Just from the test results his vet said if she didn't know better, she would think he's half the age!!
    •Blood pressure is stable.
    •Blood tests good: No inflammatory indicators, kidneys improved AGAIN and almost back to normal, somehow.
    •Urine test good.
    •Retinas have reattached but sight is still off, depth perception won't be great but much more vision than he had 6 months ago.
    •He has muscle wastage due to arthritis,
    •Has lost 0.7kg in 6 months for no explainable reason, and
    •Has stage 4 dental disease.

I started him on Denosyl and there was an almost immediate improvement in his behaviour, and he's letting me sleep at night again (very important for someone with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and also recovering from major surgery).

My vet said that time is likely short with him. She diagnosed him with cognitive dysfunction. That and the weight loss indicate that he's nearing the end. He turned 18 just over a week ago, he's been diabetic for 5 years now. His diabetes has never been so unmanageable as it has been this year since the hypertension started. He's still managing well on three legs and still loves cuddles so we're not there yet! PXL_20201017_061234360.jpg

thebigfuzz and Megan and Bernie like this.
  2. Vyktors Mum

Vyktors Mum Well-Known Member

Hi Laura! Gremlin is looking even more gorgeous than ever but then I do have a penchant for old kitties :kiss: He’s sure been through a lot since I last saw him. I’m glad you’ve still got some good times left and I know I don’t have to tell you to soak up that goodness :bighug:

3. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

Awww...he's just precious! What an adorable photo!!

Do enjoy all of your snuggles and time that you have with him....

Send him scritches from Luci and me...all the way round the world to Australia!! :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

4. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

Can you tell.me more about Denosyl? This is for liver? My civvie Tripper has same symptoms: muscle wasting, lack of appetite, lost 2.3 lbs since April, drinking tons of water and vocal.. Just had labs and only thing not normal is thyroid, med just started 1 week ago.

5. Laura and Gremlin (GA)

Thyroid will cause all of those symptoms, just wait for the medication to start working and you will see an improvement.

Grem's thyroid was ruled out as his bloods were perfect. Grem's muscle wastage is due to arthritis and the weight loss is old age as he still eats HEAPS. Denosyl won't help with any of that, he is having Denosyl to help with brain function. It is designed to treat liver issues but also helps brain function. My vet has prescribed it many times for cognitive dysfunction in dogs.

I don't believe it would help your civvie at all as he/she has hyperthyroidism which covers all the symptoms you listed. It takes time for the hyperthyroid medication to work and settle them. Hopefully you will start to notice improvement soon.
    Grem had hyperthyroidism a couple of years ago which we treated with medication until it got worse and then he had surgery to remove half the thyroid gland.

Olive & Paula likes this.
  6. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

He's so adorable. Make the most of each day with Grem. He may be with you longer than you think. I hope you recover quickly from your surgery. Sending prayers. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

7. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

Thank you Laura.

8. Laura and Gremlin (GA)

Thanks Carla. I'm already surprised at how long he's stuck around! I didn't think he was going to make it to 18 but here we are!
    My surgery was 9 weeks ago now so I'm pretty well recovered. Thank you.

9. Laura and Gremlin (GA)

W
    Wishing you all the best Paula. Hopefully those meds kick in soon.