? Glucose stable..do we still need insulin?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Sophia Piccoli, Jul 17, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sophia Piccoli

Sophia Piccoli New Member

My cat was diagnosed 2yrs ago with diabetes and it looks like we got it early. Been on lantus for 15mths and then i stopped as he was getting thinner and vet reduced to 1.5units. He is hungry all the time!!! And is looking very lean. Should he go back on insulin?

I know i know i should have taken him off but i deal with typeII diabetic in my family so was using same logic

Thank u

jt and trouble (GA) likes this.
  2. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Are you home testing?

Hunger and weight loss are signs of uncontrolled diabetes as well as several other possibilities like hyperthyroid and kidney disease.

Even if he was getting good numbers at 1.5 units, we don't recommend just stopping the insulin. We recommend reducing it slowly (as long as kitty continues to stay in normal numbers) until they work their way down to zero. We try to keep them on insulin as long as it's safely possible so we get a strong remission, not necessarily a fast one.

3. Sophia Piccoli

Sophia Piccoli New Member

Vet testing....vut they knew he was loosing weight quickly. He is constantly looking for food which is why i think he had thyroid issue now. He is not drinking or weeing excessively anymore or hasnt since insulin.

Ok thank you. I will go back to vets and get them to look at thyroid and ask if insulin needs readjustment now.

4. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

It would be better if you learned to home test. Tests that are done at the vet's are unreliable due to vet stress....just like our blood pressure is higher at the doctor's office, our cat's respond to stress by having their blood glucose go up....sometimes up to 200 points higher!

By home testing his blood glucose, you'll get more accurate results. It would answer the question "is diabetes still something we are dealing with?"

Even if his BG is normal, you never know when they can come out of remission, so a diabetic cat should be at least occasionally tested at home for the rest of their life.

If you're in the US, you can go to WalMart and get a Relion Prime blood glucose meter for $9. The strips are $17.88/100 and a box of lancets is less than about $5

Let us know what the results are of the vet visit!

Diane Tyler's Mom likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.