Glucose readings

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Ann & Maggie11 (GA), Jan 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ann & Maggie11 (GA)

Ann & Maggie11 (GA) Well-Known Member

Maggie's glucose on Monday and Tuesday of this week was 187 both days. Today when I took a glucose test, the meter said "LOW", but I thought possibly I didn't get a big enough blood sample. Then later her glucose was checked and it was 160. I placed a call to the Vet with the readings and am waiting for a return call to see if I need to change anything. It seems low to me for a diabetic cat. Since January 7 Maggie has been on 2 units Lantus every 12 hours.

2. Ann & Maggie11 (GA)

P.S. I forgot to add that I did feed her before the I got the glucose of 160, so that may have brought it back up!

3. ceil99

ceil99 Member

Do you have a curve history with your baby?

I would not shoot under 200 myself unless you know how the insulin works with her body.

4. Ann & Maggie11 (GA)

Hi Ceil99,
    No I don't have a curve yet. I just got the Alpha Trak Monitor and just learned how to get a blood sample. Yes, it's very strange. I had her to the Vet last Saturday, and her glucose was 406, and the Vet thought it was stress, as the week before it was 126 (her first week being on insulin).

5. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

This is good news but you will need to start be very proactive. Get some bg tests, before every potential shot and at various times during the day. Give these numbers to the vet. It looks like you may need to reduce the amount of insulin. The general rule here is not to shoot under 200 unless you have lots of data.

You may want to go over to the Lantus Support group to get more advice and information about Lantus and dosage. Go to the first directory page and choose Insulin Support groups and then Lantus. They will want you to put together a spreadsheet. It is color coded and a great tool to help you see patterns: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=16

6. Ann & Maggie11 (GA)

Thank you Sue and Oliver. I just got a message from the Vet saying the 160 was good and what we were aiming for and to keep her on the 2 units Insulin. Thanks so much. I will check the Lantus message board for more advise about Lantus. I should probably try and do the curve soon.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.