Glucose meters

Discussion in 'Honeymooners / OTJ' started by drjsiems, Jun 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. drjsiems

drjsiems Member

I would be very curious to find out what kind of meter everyone is using. Also, since there have been claims that human meters, which most of us use, read lower than what the BG actually is, do you go with the number you get from your meter or do you add 30 or 40 points to your reading and claim that one as kitty's BG reading?

Thanks,
    Judy & Jake

2. Ronnie & Luna

Ronnie & Luna Well-Known Member

Hi Judy

I use the One Touch Mini and have a TrueTrak and Freestyle as back up, but haven't used those in ages.
    I take whatever number it gives me - if I doubt it, I re-test, it mostly comes back the same or slightly higher or lower than the first time.

3. drjsiems

drjsiems Member

Ronnie & Luna,

I also use the One Touch Mini and really like it. Since posting here and on the Lantus page, I am getting good reviews as to the One Touch Mini - I feel reassured now, as I had always been confident about this meter before. I am still a little in "disbelief" that Jake is truly in remission although it has been more than six weeks now. When I hear something that might adversely affect Jake's remission, I have the tendency to sometimes reach too much into some things that I hear or read about. Jake's fine, but it's me that still needs therapy - haven't caught up with it all :lol:

Thanks,
    Judy & Jake

4. Ronnie & Luna

Ronnie & Luna Well-Known Member

I know exactly what you mean! :lol:

Congrats on +6 weeks!!

Only you know your kitty best - and you know when something's off, test Jake whenever you want too, overtime, the habit fades away like an old boyfriend. :lol:
    :mrgreen:

5. Jezebel

Jezebel Member

I use the ReliOn Micro. Tried the contour but got wacky results.

Debie & Jezebel

6. Kathy and Kitty

Kathy and Kitty Well-Known Member

Judy,

I don't think it's quite the case that human meters read lower than what the BG "actually" is. As I understand it, it's a calibration issue. The vets use meters that show healthy ranges of BGs in the 110-140'ish range. Human meters read the same blood at lower numbers, because they're calibrated for what's healthy for humans. So a 70 on a human meter would probably just come up as a 100 or so on a vet's meter. Am I quibbling? :lol:

But no, you wouldn't add points to what your meter says. You just compare your number to the chart given in the Tilly protocol. If your OTJ kitty is under 120, you're okay. (110 is better. 100 is even better than 110!)

We use the Accuchek Aviva. I've always been happy with it.

7. Michelle & Scrabble (GA)

Michelle & Scrabble (GA) Well-Known Member

HI Judy, we have used the Relion Micro since Scrabble was diagnosed and I have been very happy with it. I just take whatever the number is to be his number.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.