? Fur shots.. why are they happening?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by cabreu, Sep 10, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cabreu

cabreu Member

After weeks of good shots, I am suddenly messing up. Today I made sure I saw the needle go into the skin and didn't feel it come out anywhere, but afterward the fur was wet! What am I doing wrong and how do I avoid it?

2. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

Sigh I gave one "fur' shot. The very first shot. And honestly? I dont know why it never happened again. I wish I could help with that but others here can .;)

Gill & Mac (UK) and Dusty & Roe like this.
  3. Dusty & Roe

Dusty & Roe Member

My Vet has clipped the hair on the spots to give the shots it made it easier for me and the hair does grow back

4. Gill & Mac (UK)

Gill & Mac (UK) Member

Hi
    I see in your signature that you use a pen, i don't, just a syringe but I know I had several shots with no problem then got a couple of fur shots in 2 days. I worked out that Mac was moving enough that I was having to let go of the scruff and start again. Because of being nervous due to that I wasn't getting a hold of a big enough bit of the scruff or pulling it up quite far enough so when I pushed the needle in I went straight through to the other side. Basically vicious cycle - I got a fur shot so I tried to rush the shot next time so he didn't move but through rushing I didn't get the prep right. So I basically have had to make myself slow down and if he moves, I let go and start again. Also now once I have inserted the needle all the way to the skin and before I press the plunger, I run one of my fingers down the reverse side of the tented fur so I can feel if the needle has come through. At least that way if it has I avoid a fur shot and can go for the injection again as I have not released any insulin.
    Finally all I can add is what some very wise folks on here said to me when i was down about it - sometimes even the most experienced get a fur shot - don't beat yourself up over it.
    All the best to you both
    Gill

5. Kate MacCorkle

Kate MacCorkle Member

Ugh, so frustrating! Sorry that is happening. Is there a possibility that a drop of insulin is coming out early, before the needle is inserted? Is your finger on the trigger as you insert the needle and perhaps applying pressure?

If you saw the needle go into the skin, maybe it slipped out again before you finished shooting?

My cat has started resisting his shot after about a week. He was easier to shoot in the beginning, before he knew what was coming. Sometimes it helps me to wear a headlamp (the kind you wear camping) so I can see what I'm doing, and to have a family member pet the cat or feed him treats to keep him still. I shoot on the sides of his belly and his flank. I read somewhere that if you warm the syringe in your hand for a few minutes to warm the insulin, it makes the shot less uncomfortable.

if you scroll to the bottom of the Insulin Care and Syringe Info Sticky Page, there's a picture of a cat with some text below it that describes injections sites. It says that some people will shave a 2 x 2 square on their cat and rotate pokes within that square.

Good luck and hang in there! None of this is a breeze.

cabreu and jt and trouble (GA) like this.
  6. Kate MacCorkle

Kate MacCorkle Member

Also, I was reading through another thread and Panic's mom made a good point about needle size (not just gauge, but the length of the needle):

"Another option would be to switch needles. Do you know what gauge they are? Should say on the box. I hated using U-40s, the needles were too long and I kept making furshots, but I also think they don't come in 30 or 31 G. 31 G are very fine needles, and more comfortable. U-40s also only come in 1/2" needles. A shorter, thinner needle may be more comfortable for you two."

I use BD Insulin Syringes with BD ultra fine needle 3/10mL capacity, 12.7 mm (1/2"), 30 gauge.

cabreu and jt and trouble (GA) like this.
  7. Gill & Mac (UK)

Gill & Mac (UK) Member

Hi Roe
    Relating to Kate's reply I currently use u40 29G 12.7mm needles but after having several fur shots\protesting cat issues I am following the suggestions I got on here to swap needles to a shorter one. So I've ordered some BD microfine plus demi these are only 8mm long and 30G so a bit finer - they are u100 though so I'll need to use the dose conversion chart. You can only get shorter length needles in the UK by getting u100. I don't know if your Lantus pen has the option of different needle sizes hut it may be worth a try if so.
    With Mac I have to alternate between the areas around his two shoulder blades - only tried his hip area once and he seemed to feel it more and hated it. It is just trial and error to find the place that suits you and your Kitty best.
    I notice you have been doing this about the same time as me and someone else who just started having issues and I think may be some kitties just realise after a few weeks what is happening and resist a little. But they do settle back down it just takes more time and patience (and cussing under your breath sometimes so they can't tell you are stressed whilst projecting outward calm - fake it til you make it).
    Don't worry you're doing really well & being a good cat mum.
    Gill

8. cabreu

cabreu Member

Thank you for the tips-- I also use syringes on the pen, and I had no idea about the u40 vs u100 unit difference.... I use u100. Is that standard, or is u40?

jt and trouble (GA) likes this.
  9. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Since you are using Lantus, a U-100 insulin, you use U-100 syringes. This post on Testing and Shooting Tips might have something to help you.

jt and trouble (GA) and cabreu like this.
  10. cabreu

cabreu Member

Ok phew that's what I thought, thanks!

jt and trouble (GA) likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.