Friday Five: Computers

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Sarah and Buzz, Apr 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sarah and Buzz

Sarah and Buzz Well-Known Member

Ok, I know this isn't the most creative one we've ever had, but I spent last night in Margaritaville (at a Jimmy Buffett concert), so cut me some slack. ;-)

1. Which side do you come down on in the Mac vs. PC debate?
    2. Is your main computer a laptop or a desktop?
    3. When did you get your first computer?
    4. Are you "into" computers, or do you only know enough/care enough to get you to the places you need to go online?
    5. Do you think computers have enhanced or detracted from life in general?

2. LynnLee + Mousie

LynnLee + Mousie Well-Known Member

PC

desktop

hmmmm, i'd say probably about 15 years ago

4. Are you "into" computers, or do you only know enough/care enough to get you to the places you need to go online?

only know/care enough to get me to the places i need to go online

enhanced to some degree in the sense they can make some things easier to get done but ultimately a major detraction. they've made people rude, dumb, fat, & lazy basically. we were fine without them and cell phones for how many years? and now people think they can't live without that crap. HA!! we need some huge horrific disaster that takes technology away from us for a while to bring people back down to the ground and make them real people again with brains and morals and independent thought processes
    :D

3. Gator & H (GA)

Gator & H (GA) Well-Known Member

4. Hope and Aria

Hope and Aria Member

Switzerland. I have to work on a pc, but I appreciate the graphics and video capabilities that are standard to Mac.

laptop

30 years ago. Yep, a geek at a young age

Into. I'm a software girl/

Both. I think life would be easier if people would unplug from the computer/cell phone sometimes. That being said, I would have lost touch with many people I still talk to if not for social media. AND if I hadn't come across this site, Ari probably wouldn't be doing as well as she is.

5. FurballLover

FurballLover Member

1. PC--don't like the proprietary nature of apple's stuff, however I do love my ipod

2. Laptop--we have two (mine is nice, but basic) DH has a suped-up toshiba with all the bell's & whistles, a netbook, and an old desktop (which he has also 'enhanced')

3. Probably about 20 yrs ago--talked Dad into buying a desktop---at the time it was considered mid-level and had only 4mb of memory!!!

4. I don't need to be into them. I just hand it over to my techie DH who does all sorts of things for me. Its his hobby--I've watched him disassemble and supe-up more computers than I can count (I'm always kind of impressed when he does it to laptops--it seems like it is difficult) I have to admit that at times, it annoys me, but I would rather him be at home doing geek stuff than out at the bars ;-) (although, I think the bars would be a cheaper distraction....)

5. Both--Technology can be very frustrating, but it has allowed for many great achievements. Scientists can share their data easily and quickly with colleagues around the world to make all kinds of discoveries. Disabled people are able to be more independent and less isolated. However, I worry about the younger generations. My concern is that their communication skills are suffering. I guess its up to the parents to make sure the kids unplug and join the world more often. They need to get off the couch and live more active lives. (I know, easier said, than done)

Sarah--did you enjoy the concert? Fins to the left, Fins to the right.

6. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

I have both but prefer the Mac.

Desktops with multiple monitors. I have three monitor,

3. When did you get your first computer?1978 with the Altair Attache computer
    http://virtualaltair.com/virtualaltair. ... ttache.asp

Very much into them. You would be surprised how many people through out "good" computers. Within the last month I accumulated a HP AMD 2400+ and a Gateway P4 3200.

Very much enhanced.

7. Michelle & Prudence

Michelle & Prudence Member

PC - I'm a Sony gal, but also have HP and Dell

Both

umm, in 94

Definitely into computers and any other type of gadgets :D

Both

8. Nancy and Cody

Nancy and Cody Well-Known Member

1) after about 18 years of using a series of PC's, I got my first Macbook in Dec 09 and I am HOOKED. It is just sooo smooth, user friendly, and fast, lightweight, easy and glitch-free. I didn't think I could switch, but I am so glad I did.

2) I fell in love with the beautiful huge desktop in the Apple store, but DH convinced me that I'm too ADHD to be tied to a cord at a desk, and he was right. I got MY first laptop; and sitting in my lazyboy, found FDMB, (3 years late). Now I have a reputation of being a bit obsessed. Love the base model macbook, but if I had backlit keys....... well sleep is overrated :lol: ;-)

3) We lived in HK at the time, so it was probably 1992 ish. We had it built at some no name computer store. I remember ALL the DOS computer games for my (now 23 yr old son)(black market readily available in the street markets) and "surfing the internet" was a black DOS hole- didn't get the big deal, then email started, which reduced the middle of the night FAX machine going off (10 hour time difference with LA headquarters) wow its incredible how far 17 yrs can bring us...

4) given my age, I feel pretty capable, but I have to admit I'm losing ground as "social media' has become wildfire. Just had my DD sign me up for a facebook account. She previously told me I was banned ... dont know why, I'm a pretty chill mom...

5)definitely both, the diabetes epidemic is a perfect example; computers are part cause and part solutions.

9. Joanna & Bix (GA)

Joanna & Bix (GA) Well-Known Member

A little late to the party :) but in light of recent events MUST chime in! :mrgreen:

1. Prefer Macs in theory, but not in reality (they are cost- & interoperability-challenged IMO).
    2. My main computer is dead. :( It was a laptop though, and the replacement will be too. No room really for more than that in the RV.
    3. Gateway laptop, I was SOOOOOOOO excited, it was.... ??? .... 1993-ish?
    4. Having worked with them job-wise & being one of those people who likes to understand how things work, I know a fair amount beyond just getting where I need to go online, but not really in love with them. Great tool, but I wouldn't say I'm "into" them.
    5. Both. Sometimes I wonder how we ever got answers quickly before (encyclopedia at the library?), found good restaurants (word of mouth?), etc. On the other hand, I think they (other technologies included) really isolate people, and it seems like in-person community takes more effort to maintain.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.