For mid-day BG, do they have to not eat 2 hours before?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Jan D & Squeaky, Sep 11, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jan D & Squeaky

Jan D & Squeaky Well-Known Member

Thanks,
    Jan

jt and trouble (GA) likes this.
  2. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

No food for two hours before AM preshot and PM preshot tests because a fasting BG is needed in order to decide whether it is safe to give the next dose of insulin. For the rest of the cycle you can test at any time (no need to fast the cat).

It may help to start a notebook with all of this type of information so you can find and refer to it quickly.

Mogs

3. Jan D & Squeaky

Thank you Mogs, I appreciate everything you are teaching us!!!! I didn't know about the fasting/not fasting. Wow it sure helps to understand. Thank you.

4. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Jan --

If I may offer a suggestion.... Lantus dosing is based on the nadir (i.e., the lowest number in the cycle). It looks like you've not been getting any PM spot checks and on a few days, you've not gotten pre-shot tests (or at least that's what I'm inferring from your spreadsheet).

First, please always get a pre-shot test. It's the only way you will know whether it's safe to give a dose of insulin. There are two methods that we use for Lantus dosing. The "post and ask for help" number differs depending on which dosing strategy you opt for.

It's hugely important to get at least one test every, single night. We suggest a "before bed" test. Again, it's the only way to know whether numbers are dropping. Many cats experience lower numbers at night. In addition, if you don't test at night, you're missing half of your data.

You may also want to do a curve (i.e., testing every 2 hours for one cycle or every 3 hours over an 18 hour period). This will allow you to figure out when Lantus onset and nadir fall. Not all cats follow the Lantus rules and don't necessarily have their nadir at +6. Even if your cat does follow the rules, nadirs can and do shift around. My kitty had her nadirs early -- at around +2 to +4, except when she didn't. It's helpful to get tests at various points in the cycle if your schedule will permit.

Also, you may want to consider posting on the Lantus board. There is a great deal of expertise there.

5. Jan D & Squeaky

Thanks. We are still learning how to get blood successfully. I have been drawing the line at 7 pricks at one sitting. I have someone coaching me in person, and I am hopeful that we are doing better now getting the blood. It is hard for me to torture my cat. It is twice as much torture for me and I am stressed out to the max. Almost had a nervous breakdown over this. Please say a prayer for me, or if you live in the Boulder area, I'd love to have some more help.

jt and trouble (GA) likes this.
  6. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Just take your time and relax with the testing. It takes a while for the capillary bed to build up which it makes it easier for get blood.

7. Jan D & Squeaky

Thank you, I had a shower and am going to have Chinese Food for dinner. Meeting with the neighbors. Then taking Squeaky out to be in the grass! It will be a relaxing evening.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.