First Glucose Curve

Discussion in 'Caninsulin / Vetsulin and N / NPH' started by nanefy, Jul 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nanefy

nanefy New Member

Hi Guys,

So, today was Crockett's first at home glucose curve since we got a glucometer a couple of days ago. We took his AMPS at 8am and fed him straight after. We kept him on his usual food which is unfortunately not low carb, even though it's specifically for diabetic cats (Purina Pro). We do now have a few low carb options in the house but for the curve we wanted to keep everything normal, just in case his BG was lower than we expected......certainly wanted to avoid a hypo.

I have filled in the full 12 hours of his spreadsheet and we are now filling it in past the 12 hours (may as well, as we are still up) - so he has had his PMPS (8:30pm) and we've just done the PMPS +1 and can see his BG dropping again.

Our plan tomorrow, is to start him on his low carb food. We have two cats (Crockett and his brother Tubbs), so both cats will be eating the same food. Tubbs is a grazer so we have to leave food out for him and it's not possible, especially while at work, to keep Crockett from eating Tubbs food, so although we feed them twice per day, the do essentially free feed throughout the day.

Crockett has been suffering from chronic Diarrhoea and also has fairly bad Neuropathy, so we have now introduced a Probiotic and Methyl B12. We have a low carb snack that we mix this in with that we have been feeding him in the middle of the day, but this isn't going to be possible as I will no longer be working from home, so this will either need to be incorporated at his morning feed or his evening feed.

My question is this - if we start him on the low carb food tomorrow, should I lower the amount of units of Caninsulin we give him? Today his NADIR was 5.8 on 2.5 units at +5 post PMPS and on a fairly high carb food. How should we approach how much we give him?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated :)

2. Leah

Leah Member

I'm definitely no expert, but I think I would either dose based on his AMPS/PMPS, or just give a 1 unit dose twice daily for a couple days to see how the low-carb changes his sugar levels.

3. nanefy

nanefy New Member

Hey - so, I dropped him down to 1.5 units and I'm testing him every 2 hours. I'll see how he responds.

Leah likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.