? First Dose:4/27 PMPS 355 +2 333 4/28 AMPS 144 +1 135 +3 113 +5 94 +7 107 +10 90 PMPS 120 +3 80 +8 91

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Will&Bronte, Apr 28, 2024.

1. Will&Bronte

Will&Bronte New Member

First Dose Help: Bronte received her first dose(1 unit) of Lantus at 7PM
    4/27 PMPS 355 +2 333 (Had to get kitties and family in tornado shelter and forgot test kit but Bronte was active most of the night)
    4/28 AMPS 144 +1 135 +3 113 +5 94 +7 107

I intend to give her 1 unit this evening if PMPS is above 90. Is this ok?

We took up her dry food on Friday and she is eating nothing but Low Carb wet food.

She has already quit drinking water excessively and has only used litter box twice in last 24 hours but was going 5-6 times/24 hours. She seems to be doing great but is getting tired of all the attention.

My understanding of the TR protocol is that I will keep giving the 1 unit dose for next 3 days and BG test every 3 hours. If BG<50 at any time then I should reduce to 1/2 unit. The drop from 355 to the 100-150 range seemed fast. I would be greatly appreciative if someone could look at my spreadsheet for reassurance I am doing things correct. Link is in my signature block. Thanks in advance.....will

2. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Will -

With TR, the first week is a bit different than subsequent weeks. Lantus is a depot type of insulin. As such, you need to give the depot a chance to build up in Bronte's system. From the dosing methods sticky:

General Guidelines:
    • Hold the initial starting dose for 5 - 7 days (10 - 14 consecutive cycles) unless the numbers tell you otherwise. Kitties experiencing high flat curves or prone to ketones may want to increase the starting dose after 3 days (6 consecutive cycles).
    • Each subsequent dose is held for a minimum of 3 days (6 consecutive cycles) unless kitty earns a reduction (See: Reducing the dose...).
    • Adjustments to dose are based on nadirs with only some consideration given to preshot numbers.
    The only reason you would change the dose in those first 5 - 7 days is if a dose reduction was indicated (i.e., Bronte's numbers dropped below 50). I'm assuming from your signature that she did not have any medical complications like ketones when she was diagnosed.

Also, dose adjustments are made in 0.25u increments. So, if Bronte's numbers should drop below 50, her dose would be decreased to 0.75u twice a day. Similarly, if her dose needed to be increased, it would be to 1.25u.

You're correct. It was a sizable drop from your PMPS to this morning's AMPS. The AM cycle today was great! Don't be surprised, though, if numbers spike back up into a higher range. There's a good chance that Bronte isn't used to being back in normal range numbers and her liver and pancreas may panic and jump back into higher numbers.

Please let us know what questions you have. There's a lot of information to absorb when you're just starting out.

3. Will&Bronte

Will&Bronte New Member

Thank you!!!!!

4. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

Your previous post ( intro post )
    https://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/new-member-4-27-2024-will-bronte.289376/
    Welcome to the lantus board
    Can you add the meter you are using to your signature also and TR to your spreadsheet above
    When posting in the lantus board we like you to post everyday,
    In your title you would put
    Date Bronte AMPS BG and any other tests after that and you can continue with Bronte's PMPS BG in the title .
    We like you to link your previous days post to the your new post
    @Will&Bronte

Will&Bronte likes this.
  5. Will&Bronte

Will&Bronte New Member

Recommended updates made. Thanks for the help.

6. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

Oh you're very welcome :cat: