Feeding Hills m/d glucose support dry and FF canned

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Sue & Emma, Sep 12, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sue & Emma

Sue & Emma Member

Emma was switched to dry Hills m/d Glucose Support about 1 week ago. (The vet was suspecting FD and had me start the change away from the Hills Urinary Metabolic dry.) She eats it like candy, she really really likes it. But I've learned from here that FF canned is best, which is good because I use to share a small can between Emma and Tony. So for Emma that was 1/2 can per day. Now she eats maybe 1 whole can FF spaced out thru the day and I sprinkle like 10 pieces of the Hills on top. I actually use the Hills as a treat when I prick her ear for BG.

My question, what is the Hills carb count? I can't find it anywhere. Is it low enough to use as a treat or put little morsels on her canned? Also, I think she should be eating 2 whole 3oz. cans of FF per day? Even though she's 15.7 lbs, she doesn't eat alot at once. She walks away and comes back in 30 minutes. T would love some feedback.

Sue

jt and trouble (GA) likes this.
  2. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

Hi I found this on the Chewy site, about the carb content.That seems high to me

This formula has a carbohydrate content of 15.1% on a dry matter basis. We recommend consulting your veterinarian to ensure this would be a good fit for your pet's current treatment plan. Dietary and other healthcare changes should be made under the guidance of your vet, particularly when underlying...more

Last edited: Sep 12, 2020
  3. Diane Tyler's Mom

As for treats I see some members buy these and they will buy the same one for dogs they are exactly the same just bigger, so break them up, you will get more for your money, check it out on the Chewy site
    PureBites Chicken Breast Freeze-Dried Raw Cat Treats

VitalEssentials is also another good freeze dried brand. .One of our members says her cat loves the minnow flavor

4. Diane Tyler's Mom

A good rule of thumb for daily calorie intake to help maintain or gain weight, is 20 times ideal weight. So if Emma weighs 15.7 lbs like you stated , she should be getting 300 calories a day at least.
    The Fancy Feast Classics are about 99 calories a can 3oz can
    You are giving her one can a day of the FF like you stated
    I think she should be eating at least 2 or 3 can a day
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong

5. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA) Well-Known Member

Depending on the flavor, some have even less calories. She definitely needs way more food 3-4 cans a day

6. Diane Tyler's Mom

Thanks Ale :bighug::cat:

7. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

It's also fine to free feed or feed multiple smaller meals. My cats get their meal in 3 installments the food is spread out over a few hours. (My non-diabetic got used to the small meals. When Gabby died, he was to amused by a big pile of food. The kitten can't eat that much in one sitting so their meals are spread out.)

The Hills is way too high in carbs. Even their canned diabetic diet is 13% carb. Using even a few pieces of kibble will spike her blood glucose numbers. Hills is also not made with quality ingredients. These are the first several ingredients of the dry food: Chicken By-Product Meal, Corn Gluten Meal, Chicken, Chicken Fat, Wheat Gluten, Potato Protein, Powdered Cellulose, Pork Protein Isolate, Corn Starch, Sweet Potatoes. Many cats are sensitive/allergic to gluten. A diabetic cat has zero need for corn, wheat, or potato products of any kind -- they can't digest those products and they are not diabetes friendly. And, FYI - powered cellulose is sawdust. If your cat is a serious dry food junkie, you'd be better off using Dr.Elsie's Clean Protein or Young Again Zero Carb.They are both in an acceptable carb range. Another alternative is freeze dried or air dried raw. Stella & Chewy's makes a freeze dried product and ZiwiPeak makes an air dried product.

8. Sue & Emma

Sue & Emma Member

Oh thank goodness I asked! That's a crazy high number! I'm getting rid of that stuff asap. And I'll put more canned food down and she'll have to eat that. I think with the Hills gone she will want the canned more. She's looking for food right now but it's 2 hours before her BG test.
    And thanks for the recommendations for other treats. I'll see if I can order those.

Thank you everyone sooo much.
    Sue

9. Diane Tyler's Mom

You are welcome Sue

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.