Elmos numbers on prozinc?!

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Kays8cats, May 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kays8cats

Kays8cats Member

Can prozinc users please look at elmos spreadsheet and let me know what u think?

After recently doing curve on him increased him to 1.6 bid.

His numbers are all over the place, same food nothing new.

I still think his gums look bad and infected so could this be what is making his #'s out of whack?

I am trying so hard and he looks like he is still losing weight. he used to be on free feed dry so that could be why he is losing also.

thanks,

K & Elmo

2. Kelly & Oscar

Kelly & Oscar Well-Known Member

From the looks of your spreadsheet it looks like 2-2.5u is probably your best dose. You haven't seen any greens since the 2.5u. Maybe try sticking with a dose for more like 4 days to see if he will start to respond more? (as long as there are no ketones) Sometimes that helps with my Oscar.

Have you talked with your vet again about scheduling a dental? It could only help imo.

3. Hope and Aria

Hope and Aria Member

Get that dental. Elmo may be highly sensitive to dental issues and it could be causing him stress. Usually cats don't show discomfort and pain until it's pretty bad. Everything calmed down for us when we got Ari's dental done and the IV fluids to rehydrate.

I'd jump to 2 units and work from there. Your curve isn't bad, just shallow. Something is fighting the insulin's effectiveness. Also, when you do get the dental, make sure you can test once home. You may find that once the problems are out of the way and he's recovering, you'll get better curves.

4. Kays8cats

Kays8cats Member

Thanks,

He has had a dental in the past and when the vet looked at him a few weeks ago he had a gum infection.

His gums get red and flare up and sometime gets pus but no tartar or anything.

Vet said I can go get meds if it flares up, anyone have any luck with any meds in particular? Antirobe, Clavamox? Zenequin?

He was on xenequin when he was first diagnosed to rule out any infection but did not help his gums much.

Do any of you know of what I can use on his gums that is safe for diabetics, a toothpaste or mouth rinse?

He is a real good boy and will let me brush his teeth and medicate his gums.

I may keep increase him to 2 and give him abs then check bgs.

Thanks everyone :mrgreen: ,

5. Hope and Aria

Hope and Aria Member

Hopefully someone else will chime in, but I know you can brush with regular water and that will remove most particulates. DS *loathes* toothpaste and our dentist said that the brushing is really what gets rid of the stuff, the toothpaste just adds the flouride. No idea if that's transferable to cats, but figured I'd pass on in case it helps.

6. Kays8cats

Kays8cats Member

Thanks. Elmo is sooo good for mouth stuff he is a good boy in general ..

I can use water that is fine, wanted something to kill the bacteria also.

He is now on Climdamycin once a day for infection.

We shall see.

I am working a marthon weekend so not much testing till sunday.

my boyfriend give him his shots and keeps an eye on him

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.