Duncan Considering OTJ and need ADVICE - Lantus

Discussion in 'Honeymooners / OTJ' started by SaraM2261, Dec 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SaraM2261

SaraM2261 Member

Hi everyone,
    Duncan's BG is consistently lower on every second cycle or so. I keep trying to hold a dose but then he is all greens and I don't really like that. On his SS there was a time where his curve was going lower the previous dose and we had to leave the house all day so I only gave half a dose and he held the reduction. Now, only 4-5 days later he stayed green (and kept me up) all night last night testing concerned about hypo.

So I need some advice about coming off Lantus. I am not sure if he will settle in somewhere and still need a bit of insulin, or perhaps he will not hold his latest reduction. I am ok with it all because regardless he is doing just great and is perky and having fun in life again.

If you look at his chart I just gave him .25 today which is another 1/2 reduction from .5. He is very sensitive to the insulin so I have never dropped him by a whole .25 I have always sneaked it down with fat/skinny doses. I am here all the time, except we will be gone a lot this weekend for Christmas. Especially Christmas eve. We have a lot going on Christmas day but are in and out of the house. I don't intend to "take him off" his insulin but rather stop giving it if his BG shows me it is stable on it's own.

I hate shooting low numbers but have tried to maintain the shoot low to stay low pattern unless I can't be there. We are regulars on the Relaxed Lantus board because we sometimes stray from the protocol for certain reasons. We do our best, but I can't shoot super low and there are times when I can't be here. (It's rare but it dose happen.) I have maintained very good control of his BG even with many changes.

So, should I just keep sneaking this dose down when I see him hanging on to those low numbers after a reduction? How do you guys do a OTJ trial? How long do you recommend giving very small dose (like just filling to the first line, or just allowing the plunger to relax after holding it down hard to go into the vial) before you try OTJ? Any stories, or advice or anything else you want to share is very appreciated. Happy to be here but very realistic in knowing that he may respond well and still be on Lantus for a long time and I am ok with either. Just figured I better get some advice before I am in a situation where we are skipping lots of doses or getting low numbers consistently and trying to figure it out on my own.

Thank you for your help!!!!!
    Sara M

2. MommaOfMuse

MommaOfMuse Well-Known Member

Well Maxwell has been OTJ for over a year now....one year, one month and 21 days to be exact.

I actually stopped giving him insulin way before the point you are at with Duncan...lol I stopped at his first 105 preshot, because well I just didn't know better I had just adopted him and only had him a few days when he decided all these pokes and shots were pointless.

But in general, and OTJ trial is done by stopping insulin altogether, but continue testing at your normal preshots with random spot checks for 2 weeks, if he can stay in normal numbers and most of those are in the double digits for 14 days, we break out the party hats and start mixing up the Mousetinis and Tunaritas for his OTJ party.

You can also do a food trial which is how I figured out that Maxwell was OTJ. Test Duncan, feed him, then test him in 2 hours, if he can drop on his own you have a functioning pancreas again, and again we start pulling out the party hats.

Mel, Maxwell, Musette & The Fur Gang

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.