Dosing help after Dental

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Barbara, Sep 3, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barbara

Barbara Well-Known Member

Petunia had a dental today. No AM shot & we just got home. She is about 1.5 hrs late for PM shot. Surgery center said only feed her 1/4 to 1/2 her Nora also a out of food tonight. She didn’t have any teeth pulled. Should I just skip her shot tonight also?

jt and trouble (GA) likes this.
  2. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

Sorry I can't offer advice, I'm not sure what the protocol would be for limited food, unless they recommend half dose? You don't want to be too off schedule though so maybe skipping?

Barbara and jt and trouble (GA) like this.
  3. Barbara

That’s what I was thinking. I hate for her to be so high but she’s still got the anesthesia in her system so I guess she’s not predictable at this point.

4. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

Yeah perhaps the safe thing is to skip. Check for ketones to be on the safe side!

Glad her dental went well!

5. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

6. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

At this point it’s so late, you’ve both had a big day..

Probably skipping is ok for tonight... sometimes anesthesia can cause the numbers the be unexpected... no tests today to see what may have caused this bounce...
    get some rest and start fresh tomorrow .

jt and trouble (GA) and Barbara like this.
  7. Barbara

How do you check for ketones? I would have to follow her around all day to see when she pees? Many years ago there was a way to check blood for ketones but I don’t think it was very reliable.

8. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

There are blood ketones meters, that people use and are reliable.

Some anaethesia induction drugs lower the BG some don't. If you had gotten a test when she got home, then another at preshot, you'd have an idea if she was dropping. Of course you could test again now and see the same effect. With no extractions, as long as she's willing to eat, there shouldn't be a problem with at least a half dose.

Today isn't a bounce, it's a lack of insulin plus probably some stress. Would be nice to bring her down a little.

As for limiting food, give small amounts at once and spread out over time. Anesthesia drugs can also impact the GI system.

Barbara and jt and trouble (GA) like this.
  9. Barbara

The 434 PMPS was as soon as we got home. The +11 was when we left this morning. They said her BG there was 404 but of course I don’t know how that was measured. She ate 1/2 can of FF and I can tell she wants more. Was wondering about letting her eat more after the anesthesia? At this point she seems fine other. She’s been to the water bowl several times. Now we are almost 3 hours late though.

10. Barbara

We didn’t get home till an hour after normal shot time, which is the PMPS.

11. Barbara

@Wendy&Neko I addition to my above reply she has had food now so not sure how that would play into numbers if I tested again now. It was a very long day. I had no idea we would be gone from home 13 hours!

Also any suggestions on which blood ketone meter to purchase? I can’t remember what I had for Thumper back in 2011 but at that time it wasn’t used much & from what I remember it wasn’t really recommended.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2020
  12. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

As you said, too far off schedule now. But should she need anaesthesia again, you have a plan. My vet had me skip the dose after Neko's first dental. She was sky high the next morning. :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.