? Dose increase?

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Sarah Gamm, Nov 1, 2020.

1. Sarah Gamm

Sarah Gamm Member

Charlie sugar has slowly been coming down over the weeks with .25 increases, but his neuropathy is getting really bad. He’s been struggling the last couple days particularly. This morning I found him sleeping in his bed that he had peed in. I’m not sure if it’s just because he didn’t want to walk to the litter or not .

Yesterday he didn’t eat a lot, but ate 1.5 times what he normally eats for breakfast this morning.

He has also had an upper respiratory infection for about the last week. We’ve been giving him eyedrops and an L lysine paste and it was finally going away (now just eye gunk but no more sneezing).

The peeing in his bed is what has me most worried. He’s never done that. I’m very worried this is him giving me a sign.

my question is —- should I increase his insulin from 3 to maybe 3.5 until I can get Young Again shipped to me. And then drop him back down to 3 once I switch him to YA.
    Edit: someone on the Fb group suggested the above and said to reach out here :)

Last edited: Nov 1, 2020
  2. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

It can take quite a few cycles for the depot of a new dose to show what it can do. You are only on cycle 3 of the 3.0 units dose. And look how he's starting to come down some today already. And since that +2 is quite a bit lower than the preshot, make sure you get a test in 2-3 hour, he could be having an active cycle and show you even better numbers today. I wouldn't change the dose yet.

Are you giving methyl B12 for Charlie's neuropathy?

3. Sarah Gamm

Sarah Gamm Member

Ok I will hold off for now and see how the next few days go.

I am. 5000mcg. There are days I forgot, some I’m going to start giving it to him with his AM insulin so I don’t forget.

4. Wendy&Neko

As for the peeing, some diabetic kitties are prone to urinary tract infections. Hope it's not that since you are just finished battled the respiratory one. Just keep an eye on him and if you see any other wayward pee issues, maybe a call to the vet is in order.

5. Sarah Gamm

Sarah Gamm Member

I plan on calling the vet in the morning and seeing if they can get him in tomorrow. I can’t have him peeing all over. Thankfully I was able to throw out the bed (it was a cheap ikea one)

Last edited: Nov 1, 2020
  6. Wendy&Neko

You might want to invest in some puppy pee pads, and spread them around on top of what he's sleeping on. They'd absorb the pee somewhat and he wouldn't be sleeping in it. You'll need to wash him to make sure he doesn't get urine scald. And maybe another litter box placed close by.

7. Sarah Gamm

Sarah Gamm Member

I added another litter box in the living room but I will get some puppy pads. I have towels covering the entire living room floor just so I can at least see if he pees. I’ll grab some puppy pads tomorrow.