Dosage Question

Discussion in 'Caninsulin / Vetsulin and N / NPH' started by Jacky's Mom, Nov 4, 2019.

1. Jacky's Mom

Jacky's Mom Member

My Jacky has been having diarrhea. I have been giving him fortiflora because his sister also had it before him and I gave it to all 3 kitties because I recently changed their diet to all wet food, Friskies and Fancy Feast.
    Tonight is the first night he has barely eaten anything. Usually he eats like he is starving.
    He is supposed to get 3 units of Novolin N. Since he hasn't eaten, I'm not sure what to do. His pmps was higher than usual at 517.
    Of all the nights to have this problem. He has an appt. tomorrow with a new vet that is going to give me a script for Lantus. I will be posting on the Lantus board for help getting started. Meanwhile, I'm not sure what to give him tonight.

2. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

I'm so very sorry your post has gone unanswered for so long. That is unusual for us. :(

I see you gave Jackie a reduced dose when he wasn't eating which was a good idea. I hope the diarrhea has stopped and that he is eating better again now.

I would suggest you get some mid cycle tests to see how low BG is dropping. It's unclear right now from the data you have if Jacky might need more insulin but his numbers are remaining quite high and it would be nice to get them down some.

Novolin N tends to onset quickly so any testing you can do from 2 hours post shot until perhaps 6 hours post shot will likely catch the lowest part of the cycle. At night, we all need our sleep but getting an early test in or at minimum a before bed test every night would help fill in the picture of how Jacky is doing. Our kitties have a habit of dropping lower overnight than they do during the day so that night time data can be critical to knowing whether to increase or decrease the dose.

Last but not least, with those high numbers and that lack of appetite episode, it would also be a good idea to test for ketones. You can purchase ketostix at the local pharmacy for testing. Some folks can hold the strip right in kitty's urine stream while others use a plastic spoon or a small ladle to grab a tiny sample while kitty is using the LB. If kitty is very shy, crumbling up plastic wrap where kitty like to pee in the box, can sometimes catch a few drops of urine to test.

Again my apologies for your post going unanswered. We'll definitely do better. :)

3. Jacky's Mom

Jacky's Mom Member

Thank you for your response. Jacky's diarrhea got better, then came back after giving him Clindamycin. But he is eating fine now. I am giving him fortiflora.
    The new vet that was supposed to give him Lantus found some bad teeth that were infected. She gave me Clindamycin for him and an estimated cost for having his teeth out. She suggested that we not change anything until that was done.
    I have been testing for ketones.

4. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

Glad to hear Jacky is eating OK now. Infections can elevate BG so even more important to be getting those mid cycle tests in case the dose of insulin needs adjusting. Dental problems often cause elevated BG so hopefully once the dental work is done, Jacky's BG will improve but again, that could mean the adjusting insulin dose. Great that you are checking for ketones. Please do keep us posted. :)