DKA/FHL/ETUBE- Garland Updates

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Violet and Garland, Aug 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Violet and Garland

Violet and Garland Well-Known Member

HI. Ive been a lurker here. My cat was diagnosed with diabetes at the beginning of the year. After we switched her food to canned and started her lantus she was her old self again. Last month we went through some really hard money times (could barely put food on the table for our kids) and so we had to buy the cheap dry food for her. So its been about 4 weeks of no cans. I was finally able to start buying the cans again today. Yesterday I noticed she was really lethargic. Today she could barely move, wasnt eating. I took her to the vet, they said she was dehydrated. I couldnt afford all the blood testing they wanted to do , but went ahead and did their hydration therapy. When I got home I bought some ketone sticks (bc he had mentioned ketones) and I tested her urine. It was as red as red could be. It was the "large" on the color scheme. So that HAS to be the problem... Her glucose levels right now are 177

What do I do???? She drank a little water and threw it right up... she is still just laying there.... help!!!

She was fine and normal 2 days ago. I first noticed something was up yesterday... I cant afford a long ER stay.... Is there anything I can do here? Fluids, helping her eat??

2. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

Re: HELP Ketones are all wrong!!

I'm sorry, but large on the ketone test strips is not good. I would say that you need to take her to the ER, now.
    This is life threatening. Sometimes, people can bring their cat home after going to the ER, and then treat their cat at home, especially if the cat has not yet gone into DKA. I hope others will be along to help you, more.
    My cat is a DKA survivor. It was tough, but he made it through.
    I wish you and your kitty all the best.

3. Barbara

Barbara Well-Known Member

I hope you are still on? I'm sorry to say you need to take her to the Emergency vet. I really can't believe your vet just sent her home like that. It sound like she has Diabetic Ketoacidosis & it will kill her if you don't get her some help. There's nothing else you can do at home to help her. You really need to get her to the emergency vet. Surely they will treat her & let you work out a payment plan? I'm sorry but she needs help.....please don't leave her suffering like that.

4. Karen & Smokey(GA)

Karen & Smokey(GA) Well-Known Member

Where are you (city,state).

5. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

I absolutely agree with Dyana. This is an emergency situation provided that you followed the instructions on how to test. Ketones can kill and from what you're describing, it sounds like your cat is throwing ketones. My cat is a DKA survivor, as well, and hopefully you have caught this early that fluids and ER treatment will turn it around.

6. Violet and Garland

We physically do not have the money. It just doesnt exist. We already had to use the money we saved for my daughters 3rd birthday next week for the vet stuff today. Im heartbroken and lost at what to do... she is walking, but is soooo lethargic. I did some research and its estimated at 1500-3000 for an ketone treatment stay in the ER. I dont even have 100. Im soo lost...

Im in DFW, Texas

7. kse

kse Well-Known Member

My cat, Kitty, is a survivor of DKA only because we got quick vet intervention. With high ketone levels you need vet assistance immediately.

She can survive DKA, but she needs to be on IV fluids.

8. kse

kse Well-Known Member

Take her to the vet anyway, maybe they will help you or provide a payment plan for you.

9. Violet and Garland

Did the dry food for 4 weeks cause this?

How much was your ER Ketone vet treatment? Do they do payment plans? Although... I dont think we can even afford a monthly payment.. I dont want her to suffer. I have had this cat 12 years. I love her sooo much... But what do you do when the money just isnt there??

10. Kelly & Oscar

Kelly & Oscar Well-Known Member

If you are not able to take him in, then here are some suggestions for doing the best you can at home. An ER vet is always best, but I do understand that it isn't always an option.

1. Get as much water into him as possible. Find a needleless syringe (you can sometimes find them in the children's medicine section) and syringe feed water into him every few hours. What you are trying to do is add water to help the kidneys flush the ketones from his system.

2. Make sure he stays eating. If he doesn't want to eat, then try all meat baby foods.

3. Keep the glucose levels down as much as you can. Which insulin are you using right now? I can give you better suggestions for this once I know what you are using.

Do you have any subQ fluids to give at home? Did the vet send you home with any? This will also help in flushing the ketones. Hopefully someone on here lives in your area and has some they can give you. Maybe try editing your subject line to include "need help in DFW" or something similar.

11. Kelly & Oscar

The dry food increased the carbohydrate load on the system. If you didn't appropriately increase the insulin dosage at the same time, it is quite possible that his numbers have been very high for the past month. Sometimes kitties are just ketone prone, and this could have been inevitable. It is just not something anyone can say with any certainty.

12. Violet and Garland

Using lantus

She was dehydrated when I took her to the vet, so they did a fluid treatment on her. They pumped some water under her skin in several spots around her body. They puffed up, and over the last few hours, have now disappeared.

They didnt send me home with anything. Once I told them I couldnt afford the 250 they wanted for a blood draw, they sent me home. I had to ask for the dehydration treatment

13. Violet and Garland

When we were doing the dry food, I upped her insulin from 1 unit 2X a day to 1.5 units 2x a day... I didnt want to go any higher than that.... But her numbers have been high this whole time. Its never really been under 250 until today.

14. squeem3

squeem3 Well-Known Member

I also agree on taking the cat to the vet ER right now. While your cat is getting treated, ask the vet ER staff if they offer any sort of financial aid. If not, try applying for help from one of these organizations: http://www.felinediabetes.com/vetbills.htm

15. Kelly & Oscar

Ok, well it sounds like they gave her a good amount of subQ fluids and they have been absorbed by now. One thing about urine ketone tests is that it shows you what the blood levels were hours ago and not what they are right now. See if you can test them again this evening before you go to bed and again tomorrow morning. Hopefully they will be slightly lower after the fluids. Get as much water in her as you can - by syringe feeding it and also watering down her food. She is throwing up because ketones at this level make her feel nauseous. Ketones are naturally flushed by the kidneys but when things go out of balance with the insulin, they can start to be generated faster than the kidneys can flush them, which is what you are experiencing right now. If you have it in the house, try giving a 1/4 tablet of pepcid AC with your next meal for her to help calm her stomach. It might help her feel not so nauseous.

What dose of lantus are you giving her right now and what time do you usually give it? Do you have a glucose meter to test with?

edit - you just wrote what your dose is :D

16. Natalia & Enana

Natalia & Enana Well-Known Member

17. Deb415andNikki

Deb415andNikki Member

Dear Violet -- is that you or your sugar cat? I'm a name girl...

I understand physically not having any money. But, darling girl, if she's throwing ketones, you're going to have to bite the ER bullet. She needs emergency treatment.

I have a friend in Houston, who is all too familiar with ketones. I'll contact her. Also, you should look for a DCIN post here. Cr*p, I need to find a proper link. Just look. Also contact www.imom.org as you might qualify. Both organizations might be able to help you help your furry sugar girl.

Giz was DKA at diagnosis. I completely understand your financial issues. My mom came through with a 2 grand loan because I said I believed in Giz. We danced for four more years. And, yes, I paid my mom back with interest she didn't even want.

Get your furry girl to the ER now. We'll figure everything else out later.

Breathe. And, drive.

Love and hopeful hugs,
    Deb and Nikki -- and, Giz, who taught me to be both brave and humble...

18. Violet and Garland

I lucked out because she peed in the carrier on the way home from the vet. How do I do a ketone test now that we are home? I have her in our master bathroom with our attached master closet all set up. Water, food, litter box, so I can monitor her and have her easy to find (and not have my other cat bother her)

How much water should I aim for? one syringe every hour or more?

Thanks to everyone for your kind advice :)

19. Kelly & Oscar

I'd try for one syringe full every hour if you can do it. Others might have more experienced advice on the specific amount (if you can do more than that). Make sure she is getting food too. Ketones come from the body breaking down its reserves because it thinks it doesn't have enough nutrients coming in.

To get another test - there are a couple of options. You can put a garbage bag over the litter box so she still gets the feel of standing in the litter, but the pee will pool on the plastic. Some here swap out their litter for aquarium gravel, or something similar. You can always stalk her and stick a strip in her urine stream if you catch her heading toward the box too.

20. Violet and Garland

And I still give her her usual insulin dose tonight?

21. Squeaky and KT (GA)

Squeaky and KT (GA) Well-Known Member

You need Ketone strips - cheap at walmart.... or any other pharmacy....

D/FW proper or south? north? PM me with actual location - can't help you tonight but can tell you about vet that will cost you a LOT less than anything in D/FW for tests...

22. Kelly & Oscar

Do you have a glucose meter to see what her numbers are? How well is she eating?

23. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

I don't know about the insulin. Someone will help you with that. Post her BG number when you get a test.

Is she eating? If not, she is going to have to get some food in her. Try some human tuna, if you have it.
    I have heard that the recipe for DKA is not enough insulin, not eating, and infection.

24. Violet and Garland

I live in NorthEast Fort Worth

Shes not eating... Ive been trying to get her to,but she wont even open her mouth for it. Ive given her 2 syringes of water since coming home from the vet. Shes just sitting in the closet right now. I tested her about an hour ago and her number was 177. Im gonna test her again in another hour. I can tell the fluids from the vet helped a little (not a ton,but at least shes walking now)... I want to take her to the ER so much. I went to their website and they require upfront payment based on an estimate before admittal..

25. Kelly & Oscar

Since she isn't eating right now... Try tuna, or see if she will lap up some tuna water. You can also take the canned food, add some water, whirr it in a blender to make a soupy texture, and slowly syringe feed her. Getting food into her is just as important as getting water right now.

When is her usual shot time? Did she get her normal dose this morning? She will need some insulin, we just need to determine how much.

26. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Please contact Venita at Diabetic Cats in Need. She may be able to help with costs.

27. mybuddybinks

mybuddybinks Well-Known Member

has anyone mentioned DCIN to you...Diabetic Cats In Need?
    perhaps they could help with finances...

here is a link to their webpage...they have been wonderful enough to help a multitude of cats...
    including mine...

http://fdmb-cin.blogspot.com/p/education.html

celi & binks

28. Karen & Smokey(GA)

Possibly, but that takes days.

As do the other possibilities IMOM and Care Credit.

29. Squeaky and KT (GA)

Squeaky and KT (GA) Well-Known Member

I'll assume Keller/Southlake/NRH/Roanoak then, you're about 2 hours away. There's a vet just north of Sherman/Denison across the river in Oklahoma. They will do a blood panel for you for about $80 including office visit/exam. Bryan County Animal Hospital/Durant, OK. Dr. Freida Wells is main doctor - I use Dr. Jeremy McCoy. Unfortunately they're not an 'after hours' emergency. Might help you get more done with much less...

30. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Karen DCIN does'nt take days...if approved they can give their crdit card to the er over the phone.
    It's worth a try.

31. Karen & Smokey(GA)

It does not look like Venita is online right now.

32. Violet and Garland

Is DCIN like a cat credit card?

33. Karen & Smokey(GA)

DCIN is Diabetic Cats in Need, run by a member of our own FDMB.
    Its more like a charity. But right now, I think all the funds are
    spoken for.

34. MommaOfMuse

MommaOfMuse Well-Known Member

DCIN is Diabetic Cats In Need they are a non-profit group that helps with financial issues, testing equipment, insulin and rehoming unwanted diabetic cats, I have two that I adopted through them. Venita and Ennis94 runs it. I have sent you PM with Venita's phone number look at the top of the page it will say one new message click on it, give Venita a call and explain the situation she maybe ble to help you out.

Mel, Maxwell, Musette & The Fur Gang

35. Kelly & Oscar

I have sent a PM to Patricia & Gang. She helps many special needs kitties and lives in the DFW area. She may have a bag of fluids to give/borrow.

36. Violet and Garland

Thanks so much everyone. The support you all have given me tonight has been so touching and uplifting

UPDATE- I just tested. 161 Ive actually never seen numbers this low on her before.. im assuming its bc shes not eating?? Its almost time for her shot, do I or dont I?

Shes still just sitting in the closet, not sleeping, not sitting up, but her head is up. I gave her another water syringe, and attempted food again. She still wont take it, not even watered down from the syringe... But I will keep trying. We got home from the vet about 3 hours ago, but I can tell the hydration thing they did, helped a bit.

Thank you for all the DCIN info. We are actually crunching some numbers to see if we can just apply for another CC. Like a Visa or something. But we are worried about not being able to make the monthly payment (if approved). We are just trying to figure it all out.

I feel horrible.. I should have noticed this sooner. Maybe if I had caught it earlier, it wouldnt have gotten to this point. Its just so heartbreaking to see her not feeling well

37. Kelly & Oscar

The BG number is promising. With the syringe feeding, you will have to essentially force feed. Squirt a little bit in her mouth and make her have to do something with it. Odds are she will swallow instead of spitting the food out. If she is throwing paws up at you in protest, you can try to gently wrap her in a towel to hold the paws down so you can syringe feed. If you can get some food in her, I'd go with something like 0.25u just to have some insulin in her. You don't want too much without a lot of food in her, but she needs something to help her process what food does get in her.

If it will help you, I had someone contact me offering up $200 for you guys if you find a way to get her to the ER and have a way to cover the other part of the bill.

38. Hope + (((Baby)))GA

Hope + (((Baby)))GA Well-Known Member

Please read you PM

I got a hold of Patricia and I am PM'ing you her cell phone number. Call it immediately and tell her exactly where you live. She can run by the house and grab some fluids and take them out to you. Call her as soon as you read my PM.

39. Kelly & Oscar

Re: Please read you PM

Thank you so much for getting in contact with her Hope!!! Patricia can definitely help you guys out tonight.

40. Kelly & Oscar

We have another person that has pledged some money to help if you do go to the ER......

41. Violet and Garland

Thanks everyone! I cant take anyones money though. Its so thoughtful and so generous. Thank you from the bottom of my heart. I will be forever grateful for just the offers of your kindness

42. Violet and Garland

Re: Please read you PM

I just replied, Ill call her in the next 20.

43. Kelly & Oscar

Have you been able to call Patricia yet? Being able to give fluids instead of syringe feeding will help a lot.

edit - you are too quick! Nevermind :D

44. Kelly & Oscar

This site is all about helping the kitties. Please do not hesitate to accept people's offers. They do it for the kitties :D We can set up something so the money goes through DCIN so that it is tax deductable and then DCIN can get the funds to you in a matter of hours.

At the very least, once your baby gets through this, we can talk about getting Lantus donated for you guys. I have a DCIN stock pile at my house and can talk to Venita about it.

45. Kelly & Oscar

I just got another pledge of $100 for you guys. That brings your pledged total to about $400 if you need to use it at the ER vet.

46. Violet and Garland

I talked with Patricia. She is coming over with fluids in a bit. I am really hopeful it will help. She was wonderful on the phone

Our money situation will be much better in a few months (fingers crossed). Its just been the last few that we have really struggled. Its just really really bad luck that this would happen now. If it had happened 6 months ago it would have been easier for us to figure out the finance part.

My baby is still just sitting there... So its now time for her insulin. She usually gets 1 unit. Someone mentioned I should give her less than that right?

47. Violet and Garland

The generosity here is overwhelming. thank you. thank you everyone. I cant accept though.. I dont feel right about it. We will try to get another CC if the fluids dont help and she gets worse

48. Kelly & Oscar

Yes, I'd give less than 1 unit. Start with 0.25u right now. She needs some insulin, just not a lot without her eating a lot too. We don't need a hypo situation too. If she starts gorging on food, you can always add another 0.25u later.

For others that are checking this thread - what is your opinion on giving karo right now as a means for getting an easily processed food into her system? I know ER vets give sucrose + R insulin at the same time with DKA.

49. nancy and payne

nancy and payne Well-Known Member

Violet,
    There is not one of us here who has not hit a rough patch .... you need to let us help you, so you can help kitty. She needs to go to the ER.

There are many of us that are willingly to send money to DCIN to help them cover the costs, let us help you.

Nancy and Payne
    (a survivor of DKA 4x)

50. kse

kse Well-Known Member

Hi Violet,

There is a great group of people here willing to help you in many ways. That is what this board does--helps kitties. Many people here make numerous contributions to DCIN to help diabetic cats. At times those donations are made and used at the discretion of DCIN--but, sometimes those donations are made for specific causes.

There is nothing wrong with accepting the financial assistance that people are willing to offer you through DCIN--that is what the group does. Please reconsider accepting the pledged money and taking your kitty to the ER.

My cat, Kitty, is a DKA survivor and your kitty can be also with the proper treatment.

Please let the group help you.

Kim and Kitty

51. Randi & Max (GA)

Randi & Max (GA) Well-Known Member

Sorry for jumping in but I have been watching this thread and of course share your concerns for your baby.
    Have you tested her BG recently? Could you post her numbers.
    DKA is very serious and we want your baby to be safe but too little insulin is a disaster for DKA but of course there is a concern of hyp if she is not eating. You don't want to raise Bg levels and not have any insulin on board.

52. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

I've never had a cat with DKA but from what I have read, the cat needs the insulin. I would be worried about giving less insulin. I understand she must have food, too. Is she taking food from a syringe Yet?

53. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Violet:

I want to urge you to take people up on their offer. DKA is more than just needing to get fluids into your cat. Ketoacidosis effects the level of electrolytes. Fluids will help flush the ketones but it will not restore an electrolyte balance if it has been effected. IVs supplementation is required. Potassium and phosphorus levels are altered by DKA. Potassium levels need to be stabilized or the heart will be effected; phosphorus needs to be stabilized or blood cells will be destroyed. This is why DKA is so dangerous. I don't mean to scare you but DKA is not a condition that can be managed at home if that's what's going on.

54. Violet and Garland

UPDATE

Still not taking any food. I tried tuna, canned food in a syringe, and deli meat. Ive never in 12 years seen her refuse food :(

I gave her .25 lantus instead of her normal 1 unit, Its been 45 minutes I just checked her levels again. They are now 154. So about the same. She is still sitting in the same spot. Im actually a little surprised she hasnt been sleeping. Shes just sitting there, looking around...

55. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

Violet:

If you prefer to not take money from the folks offering it, you can get money through CareCredit. Here is the link:

Care Credit Veterinary

56. Karen & Smokey(GA)

Maybe a few too many cooks stiring the pot here.

Let's let Patricia do her thing when she gets to the kitty's home.

Please remember past cases where 'too much help' is worse than not
    enough.

57. Kelly & Oscar

At this point I would put some karo on my finger and rub it in her mouth. She needs some sort of calorie intake for the insulin to process. Her body is using too much of her stores right now, which translates into even more ketones.

58. Kelly & Oscar

Karen is right. You are in very capable hands with Patricia there. I have messaged Venita/DCIN to let her know of the situation in case you guys to make a trip to the ER. I have also sent a PM to those that have messaged me saying they would help financially.

Violet - I will PM you my cell number just in case you run into issues after Patricia leaves and you need to get into contact with someone.

59. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Thank you Karen.

60. Violet and Garland

So since shes not eating I should try some karo or honey?

I managed to catch her in the litter box and stick a strip under her... still in the "large" area on the color scale :(

61. Re: HELP Ketones are all wrong!!

Last time you checked her BG it was 154 and that was only 45 minutes ago or so. I am not sure how long before Patricia arrives or you could wait to ask her. I would say yes on the honey or karo. Make sure and tell Patricia how much and when you did so, so that she is aware of it.
    Carl in SC

62. Re: HELP Ketones are all wrong!!

Violet,
    Make sure and check her BG a few minutes later to see how much the syrup effects her BG.

Carl

63. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

Hi Violet/Violet's Mom

I am sorry I was unavailable earlier.

I am Venita and I run DCIN. From what I understand from PMs, we can get about $1,000 immediately to the vet. That's enough to get your cat started at an ER.

Helping in these situations is one of the things DCIN does, and you can see that there is plenty of support for this help for your cat. It is about the cat, not about "charity" for you.

Hopefully you or Patricia will let us know what she found when she came with the SubQ fluids. Patricia and her husband are good people and will be very helpful.

I hope that your cat is at the ER and that is why you are offline right now.

CareCredit (or something similar, like Wells Fargo)is a credit card that you apply for at the ER vet, and you will be able to get an immediate response whether you are accepted. DCIN can get you in the door, and CareCredit can take you from there. Last I looked, CareCredit can be interest free if you pay it off within 6 months.

Please send me a private message (PM) here, or email me at venita @dcin.info (remove space). Now is not the best time to call me because my husband gets grumpy with middle of the night calls. However this is an emergency and he will have to live with it. I will send you my phone number in a private message.

I will be up for a couple of hours looking for a message from you. I also will go to see whether I already have a message from you.

Please let us help you help your cat.

64. Violet and Garland

Patricia just left. What a blessing her and her husband, and all of you are

They gave her some fluids and we got a bit of food in her. Her numbers are still in the 150 range. I am going to monitor her tonight and see how she is tomorrow. If nothing has improved then we will have to take her to the ER. I will come update all of you in the morning. thank you for everything!

65. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

Thank you Patricia and Robert!!

I sent you a PM explaining how DCIN can help.

66. Deb415andNikki

Deb415andNikki Member

Thank you, Patricia and Robert!

Thank you, Venita! Please apologize to your DH for my late night call...

Dear Violet,

Sometimes we all need help. When Nikki first adopted me, I was able to take care of her myself. Now, she's DCIN sponsored. Life happens...

Please don't let pride stand in your way... Pride is useless in the greater scheme of things -- and, in this economy...

Much love and countless encouraging hugs,
    Deb and Nikki -- and, Giz, who's diabetes taught me volumes, including being humble...

67. Ann & Scatcats

Ann & Scatcats Well-Known Member

Violet, even I donate money but on a yearly basis to cat help places. Do feel right about the help that is there for you because this is what it is all about, to help.

68. Karen & Smokey(GA)

Well, I'm up early this morning (was worried all night long !).

Wondering how things are going.

And did we ever get clear on what the kitty's name is ?

69. Hope + (((Baby)))GA

Hope + (((Baby)))GA Well-Known Member

Believe kitty is named Garland.

70. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

Hi folks. I have been in touch with Violet. She is taking her cat to the VCA in Forth Worth.

DCIN will initially be paying for the intake exam and diagnostic labs. I have authorized up to $400 to be paid by DCIN for those. We will then take a look at the treatment plan, and Violet and her family will decide whether they will go forward with the treatment with DCIN contributing only $1,000 total toward what could be a bill of up to $4,500.

I am hoping that those who pledged help last night will help pay DCIN's share. And perhaps others will donate for this DKA kitty. The instructions for donating are here.

Diabetic Cats in Need accepts PayPal donations at donate @dcin.info (remove space). Use the "Personal" tab and the radio button for "gift" to avoid fees on cash and checking donations. If you use a credit card, you can choose to pay the fee to maximize your donation to the fund.

If you don't want to go through that effort, there is a Paypal donate button for contributions to help the DKA Kitty in TX on this blog page. PayPal will charge DCIN a fee for this.

I know that Violet and the DKA kitty will be able to feel the power of this Board's prayers and good wishes. I will let you know as I am able. Thank you all so much!!

71. Karen & Smokey(GA)

Barely awake this morning, but I have had
    my coffee, so I just sent in my pledge.

72. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

Sent. Thanks, Venita.
    I am wishing all the best for Garland.
    Also praying, and sending get better vines and snowflakes.

73. Tracy & Leo

Tracy & Leo Well-Known Member

Sent my pledge. I hope your kitty is ok Violet.....bigs hugs :YMHUG: to you and kitty.

74. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

I have been getting them (and responding to them) as they are sent. I have received about $410 so far.

75. kse

kse Well-Known Member

I just sent my pledge also.

My Kitty, is a DKA survivor-- there is no way I could turn my back on this opportunity to help Garland.

Sending good vibes.

Please keep us updated on the situation.

Thanks Venita.

76. Deb415andNikki

Deb415andNikki Member

Thanks for the update, dearest Venita!

Dearest Violet,

Please include my hopeful, healing thoughts and prayers for you and your precious Garland.

Much love and countless hopeful, healing hugs for you, Garland, and your family,
    Deb and Nikki -- and, Giz, forever dancing in my heart...

77. Kelly & Oscar

I am so glad to hear that Garland is going to VCA this morning. She will get the best care there and will have the best chance of pulling through this. A big thank you to everyone who pledged and sent in money last night/this morning.

Dear Violet and/or Venita - please keep us updated when you can! We are all on pins and needles over here! nailbite_smile

78. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

Violet just called. She has been cooling her heels for quite some time in the ER waiting room. They took Garland into the back to draw blood, and it took some time to process it.

The vet told Violet that there were a number of values that were out of range. That Garland is not the worst DKA cat they have seen, but also not the best. Maybe mid-range.

The vet is now in the back typing up the treatment plan and estimate of costs based on a 3-day (72 hour) hospitalization. The ER does know that Violet will have to apply for CareCredit.

You will know as I know and am able to post.

Donations are up to $745.

79. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

$795.

80. Re: HELP Ketones are all wrong!!

Scroll up about 10.posts.
    there are instructions there.
    Carl

81. Harley and Pattie

Harley and Pattie Well-Known Member

Sent....Harley had DKA when he was first diagnosed and I know the emotions that Violet must be feeling. Sending prayers her way.

Pattie and Harley

82. Punkincat

Punkincat Member

Punkin and I just found it and pledge has been made

83. MommaOfMuse

Wish we could do more on the $$ end of things, but we are straped ouselves at the moment. Payday isn't until next friday for us...So for now all we can do is add our prayers and purrs with a few sloppy wet doggie kisses for Garland, at least she is in the best possible hands right now. Will be watching for updates.

Mel, Maxwell, Musette (also a DKA survivor) and the Fur Gang.

84. Violet and Garland

Hello everyone!!

I want to thank you all from the very bottom of my heart for your kind words, your generosity and your support. I cant even begin to express my gratitude to all of you

UPDATE:
    Garland was not looking well this morning, I decided it was time to take her to the ER. They ran some blood work and after (a very long wait) came back and said she needed hospitalization. She is there now, getting all the help she needs. I feel very lucky I found this particular vet. He and his staff were amazing. Very knowledgeable and helpful. I know Garland is in great hands there.

As you know, my family is going through some rough times financially and I was worried about how we were going to be able to afford an expensive ER stay. I was overwhelmed and touched by the donations you gave to help Garland get the help she needed. I dont know what we would have done without it. I can only pay it forward later for someone else, when I can. We were approved for CareCredit for the remaining balance and will find a way to make it work with our budget.

I am about to call Venita with an update. She has been wonderful today. And also thank you to Patricia and her husband for the late night call last night. I will keep you all updated with Garlands progress!

85. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

Re: HELP Ketones are all wrong!! EDIT- DKA kitty in ER now

I just spoke to Violet and she is truly pleased with the care she sees the ER offering Garland. Thank you everyone for supporting Garland, with $ and with prayers/well wishes, and even those sloppy dog kisses.

We are up to $820, so just $180 left to collect to cover the $1,000 that DCIN is going to pay.

Donation instructions are on the DCIN blog here--->http://fdmb-cin.blogspot.com/2011/08/dka-kitty-in-texas.html

86. Deb415andNikki

Deb415andNikki Member

Dearest Violet,

I can't wait until the first time you pay it forward. You will have goosebumps when you do. And, your heart will smile as you type and help someone else... Trust me.

My hopeful, healing thoughts and prayers continue for you and Garland.

Giz was a DKA survivor. Spent three days/nights in ICU at the ER hospital. We danced for four more years...

Much love and countless hopeful, healing hugs for you, Garland, and your family,
    Deb and Nikki -- and, Giz, who taught me to dance and be a better person...

87. Re: HELP Ketones are all wrong!! EDIT- DKA kitty in ER now

Sent. Bob was DKA as well. After seeing what he looked like and remembering how scared I was, my heart goes out to Violet, Garland, and family. Garland is in good hands, and I am looking forward to that first post from Violet when she is able to bring him back home!

Carl in SC

88. Harley and Pattie

I have been out shopping but the first thing I did when I got home (minutes ago) was to come online for an update. I am so glad the ER vets are giving Garland good care. My continued prayers are coming your way Violet.

Pattie

89. doombuggy

doombuggy Well-Known Member

Make that $160, V! From Dallas, who looks like Ennis, but doesn't seem to want to come in the house...

90. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

And with the help from Dallas and many others, including prayers and good wishes from those who couldn't send $, DCIN has now raised the $1,000 it promised to pay for Garland's care.

Violet, may we have a picture of the most awesome Garland, kitty extraordinaire that has in a single day captured the hearts of so many?

Any additional donations that come in for Garland will be used to pay down the amount that Violet and her family would otherwise have to pay through CareCredit.

Yeah, Garland. Get well soon, darling. We are all rooting for you!!!

91. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

Hey Dallas. This is Ennis. Inside is good. Think about it.

Well, good until your Mom gets a Kamikaze kitty who gives you a big-time URI. This URI is now my reason for grumpy.

Attached Files:

92. Violet and Garland

Thanks everyone!!!! I just got a call from the vet. Shes getting her therapy and is still okay for now. He said at minimum it could be 24 hours before we start seeing improvement. Im hoping to get a chance to drive out there tomorrow after the kids get in bed to bring her something from home to snuggle with. :)

[​IMG]

93. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

Oh, she is a cutie :D
    Yes, bring her something like an unwashed t-shirt or pillow case. She'll appreciate it when she starts to feel better.

94. Harley and Pattie

She looks like Scooter, Harley's litter mate....what a cutie she is. Still praying for a full recovery.

Pattie

95. my Casey bear

my Casey bear Member

I was not participating in the posts, but was watching and hoping all will be well. Thank you for keeping us informed about your kitty's progress and sharing a photo of her.

You and your kitty had/still are in my thoughts and prayers,

Roberta
    and Casey

96. Violet and Garland

I thought I would put this here too. Its the picture I took of her right before I left the kitty ER. She looked so sick today :( She never even looked this bad when she was first diagnosed. It was so crazy how fast DKA sets in.... 4 days ago she looked like her normal, spunky self.

[​IMG]

97. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

I know (((((HUGS))))) how you feel. My kitty went through it too. It was close to the worst days of my life (and his).
    Slowly, day by day, he got a little bit better. She is in the best of care and where she needs to be. ((((((more hugs)))))).

98. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

oh god, she looks like a wilted flower...
    such a difference.
    so glad you have her with the dr.'s Violet.

99. MommaOfMuse

Thanks for the updates and for showing us your beautiful girl. =)

If you haven't figured it out yet, from the moment you first post here you are family, and we will worry over Garland from now on like she is one of our very own kitties. Now we can't wait to celebrate the next chapter....when she gets to come home to her loving family.

We will continue to keepur fingers, toes, and paws all crossed that Garland makes a full recovery. And at least at my house that is : 20 finger, 20 toes, and 52 paws... :D

Mel, Maxwell, Musette & The Fur Gang

100. Deb415andNikki

Deb415andNikki Member

Oh my gosh, dearest Violet,

Garland could be Nikki. Nik has a thing for cardboard boxes, too...

She's beautiful. And, we thank you for your update. Truly.

When Giz was in ICU, the ER hospital had a no visiting policy. On one level, I understood it. "They" felt the "pet" might think they're going home upon seeing a parent. On the other level, I was the parent who wasn't allowed to visit my "pet"...

What to do? What to do? I cleaned out my fridge and part of my pantry -- okay, I made a tuna sandwich for the ER vet on duty and packed a banana and a box of vanilla wafers -- and drove to the ER. And, because I couldn't visit her, just drove home after the grocery delivery...

I'd been saying to whatever ER vet was on duty, try peach yogurt because Gizzie wasn't eating. "Well, we'll look for some." "Maybe someone has some." Yada, yada, yada...

When I got home from delivering basically my kitchen, there was a vet leaving a message on my answering machine. Yes, we still had them back then...

I flung myself to the phone and grabbed it and said, Hi, I'm here. The ER vet said, I just offered Gizmo a wooden spoonful of peach yogurt. I said, And? She said, She swatted it and flung it everywhere. We're all covered. I said again, And? The ER vet said, Her look softened. So, I offered her another wooden spoonful and she ate it. And another. And another. And almost another before she started swatting again and every one ran for cover...

I remember dropping to my knees with joy... I remember picking her up and learning how to shoot her... I remember asking, What are all these orange dots all over her? I remember the ER vet and vet tech on duty just looked at each other, smiled, and said, peach yogurt.

I often say Giz made me better person. I don't know if I've ever said why. She just simply inspired me. Truly.

My hopeful, healing thoughts and prayers continue for you and your sweet Garland, Violet.

Much love and countless hopeful healing hugs for you, Garland, and your family,
    Deb and Nikki -- and, Giz, who inspired me to be a better person...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.