Diet change spiking glucose

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Littlepiggy1313, Jun 16, 2024.

1. Littlepiggy1313

Littlepiggy1313 Member

Hi

My cat has IBD/potential lymphoma alongside diabetes, his diarrhea was getting worse and more frequent, so 5 days ago I changed his diet to royal canin gastro wet after trying so many other things, this has improved his poo’s unbelievably. I don’t agree with prescription diets much and know the ingredients are probably rubbish but didn’t know what other food to try.

Although since then his glucose levels have gone through the roof?

I was having to reduce the insulin before and now I’ve had to increase it and just got a pre shot number of 640.

Everytime we change his diet his glucose levels seem to go through the roof? This has happened 4 times previously when trying new foods then when I’ve stopped them as they haven’t worked for the diarrhea it’s gone back to the usual numbers the following cycle.

He seems bright in himself and purring etc but I’m worried about his numbers being so high and DKA.

Thanks a lot

2. Suzanne & Darcy

Suzanne & Darcy Well-Known Member

Hey there. I am so sorry that you didn’t get a reply to this message. How is Piggy doing now. I am worried about those high numbers. He seemed to be doing better on a lower dose, but if her were overdosed we would have seen a low(too low) number by now. What is he eating.

You know, it’s strange because I remember replying about that food and now I don’t see a reply. In fact, I remember looking up the food, etc. Did you cross post this question on the Feline Health forum?

3. Littlepiggy1313

Littlepiggy1313 Member

Yes, I posted in the other thread aswell which you kindly responded to! Thanks for your reply.

I changed his food to Royal Canin on the 11th and since then it’s put his numbers up high as I discovered later on it was actually 16% carbs, I was trying to adjust insulin to compensate for this as it was helping his diarrhoea so much, but now it’s not really doing much for the poo’s and he’s gone off of it, so back to giving him his previous diet from this evening and keeping an eye on the numbers to make sure they don’t quickly drop because of going back to the low carb food. I’m going to try and transition him over to a fresh food diet which is arriving next week (Katkin) as I’ve read good things about that for diabetes and IBD.

Suzanne & Darcy likes this.
  4. Suzanne & Darcy

Oh, I hope it does help. Clearly, he doesn’t do well on HC food.

Littlepiggy1313 likes this.
  5. Suzanne & Darcy

Keep me posted on how things are going! I care.

Littlepiggy1313 likes this.
  6. Littlepiggy1313

Littlepiggy1313 Member

Thank you so much!:cat: