Diet change spiking glucose

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Littlepiggy1313, Jun 16, 2024.

1. Littlepiggy1313

Littlepiggy1313 Member

Hi

My cat has IBD/potential lymphoma alongside diabetes, his diarrhea was getting worse and more frequent, so 5 days ago I changed his diet to royal canin gastro wet after trying so many other things, this has improved his poo’s unbelievably. I don’t agree with prescription diets much and know the ingredients are probably rubbish but didn’t know what other food to try.

Although since then his glucose levels have gone through the roof?

I was having to reduce the insulin before and now I’ve had to increase it and just got a pre shot number of 640.

Everytime we change his diet his glucose levels seem to go through the roof? This has happened 4 times previously when trying new foods then when I’ve stopped them as they haven’t worked for the diarrhea it’s gone back to the usual numbers the following cycle.

He seems bright in himself and purring etc but I’m worried about his numbers being so high and DKA.

Thanks a lot

2. Suzanne & Darcy

Suzanne & Darcy Well-Known Member

Do you know how many carbs are in the RC gastro food? We are probably going to have to work around it and adjust his ProZinc if this is working for him and you can’t find anything lower carb that helps his IBD. And are you testing for ketones

3. Littlepiggy1313

Littlepiggy1313 Member

I worked it out at 3.7 carbs if that’s correct? https://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/canned_cat_food_pouches/royal_canin_vet_diet_wet_cat/516320?variantId=516320.5&gad_source=1&gbraid=0AAAAAD9Xn6Vk0botZ8bpXWQVi8AHaZFWG&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIoKmasN3ghgMVE5hQBh2GSg7nEAQYASABEgJOpfD_BwE&activeVariant=516320.5

T
    his seems to happen every time we change his food, before he was just eating pure chicken and it spiked it, then trying raw food twice did the exact same. I read that it can be a temporary thing and the body will adjust, it’s been 5 days now and was worrying about the high numbers.

4. Littlepiggy1313

Littlepiggy1313 Member

I haven’t tested for a few weeks as he was having such good numbers but will start testing for them again.

5. Suzanne & Darcy

Good. I know it’s a pain, but my cat went into DKA when he was in pretty much all yellow numbers so it can happen. A few blues here and there with pink and red thrown in… a cat can still produce ketones. Hopefully he’s not producing ketones.

that link takes me to the dry food version.

6. Littlepiggy1313

Littlepiggy1313 Member

https://www.petsathome.com/product/...9072&purchaseType=easy-repeat&packSize=48X85g

Does that link work?

7. Suzanne & Darcy

Yes. I am concerned that this food is actually very high carb, but I could be wrong. They don’t seem to sell the food in the little packets/sachets here in the U.S. but I think this is the same thing only in a tin. The questions and answers say it’s 36.33 percent carbohydrates on a dry matter basis. I haven’t had time to compare the ingredients yet. Heres’s what I found:
    upload_2024-6-17_8-1-32.png upload_2024-6-17_8-1-32.png upload_2024-6-17_8-1-32.png

8. Suzanne & Darcy

If his BG goes ack down after a few days then I guess we will know it’s not high carb? I know he needs something he can digest and not have a lot of diarrhea/inflammation.

9. Suzanne & Darcy

And even with the high numbers you need to find a dose and hold it for seven days (14 cycles) unless you want to follow the modified ProZinc method (which I would recommend in this case with the high BGs) where you would hold the dose for six cycles (3 days) and not change the dose at all unless he drops to the reduction point and earns a reduction. We can’t really see what a dose is doing unless we give it at least 6 cycles on the same dose. It needs to settle in. Having said that, if you make additional food changes then you would very likely have to alter his dose. If feeding the gastro food then hold at 3.5 units for six cycles and then we will take a look at his numbers and make decisions about the next dose.

10. Littlepiggy1313

Littlepiggy1313 Member

That’s strange, am I calculating it wrong or do the UK figures work out at low carb and that may be an error?

I did 3.5 units 6 hours ago and the pre shot number was 505 and after 6 hours it’s only gone down to 397. He’s even more hungry than usual aswell so is constantly eating the food which is potentially what’s keeping the numbers high. He’s probably eating 12 pouches per day.

Thanks for your help

11. Littlepiggy1313

Littlepiggy1313 Member

On the box it says
    Protein 8.1%
    Crude Fibres 0.2%
    Fat Content 5.7%
    Crude Ash 1.9%
    Moisture 79.8%
    Potassium 0.18%
    Sodium 0.12%

I think I’ve actually been calculating it wrong as I’ve just been adding that up and what’s left from 100% I thought was carbs but I think this is the wrong way isn’t it.

12. Suzanne & Darcy

I am not sure, but I do think it’s wrong.

13. Suzanne & Darcy

:blackeye::oops:
    That’s a whole lot of food. And overall his numbers are worse since starting the new food.