? Diarrhea for 16 days - follow up

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Michsassy, Jul 4, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michsassy

Michsassy Member

Hi, again. I am following up on diarrhea from previous post. 6/30/2020, Tuesday had Vet visit for diarrhea and gave B12 shot, Metronidazole half pill 2xs day. She weighed 8.7 lbs. Vet feels she should be 9 lbs -10 lbs. I have been feeding for FF am with shot, +3 1/2 can FF, +6 1/2 can, and pm, +2 1/2 FF can.

on 6/13/2020 I began S. bouliardi 1/4 capsule per day but I stopped after vet because I wanted to see if metronidazole worked and/or B12. four days later and still diarrhea. 2 days ago had very soft poop, so I was hopeful, but early morning woke up to 2 diarrhea liquidy poops.
    Also her diarrhea all along had strong medicinal smell and light in color.
    Any thoughts?
    Family has said add rice to food, isn't that a no-no with carbs?

History: Three days into Sassy's diarrhea, I gave 1/2 teaspoon of pumpkin 1x per day for three days. Didn't see improvement. I read that pumpkin with the fiber can also work the opposite, so I thought best to stop.
    I am reading about pancreatitis and see diarrhea is only 15% symtom.

She eats all her meals, see her drinking, urinating. Unfortunately havent been able to test for ketones past few days. in past had .5 trace as on my spreadsheet.
    She is not lethargic, comes to me when I call her and runs to her food plate. She goes up stairs to wake me for feeding. I have watched her walk and seems good. Still skinny by hine legs and stomach at times looks little bloated.

I have typed "diarrhea" in search box and have read and read. I have not come across posts with diarrhea for a long length of time.
    Thank you for your thoughts. I will call vet again Tues after one week on metronidazole.

Dusty & Roe likes this.
  2. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA) Well-Known Member

3. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

I would restart the S Boulardi.
    I would also try a novel protein Michele has not had before to see if that helps.

Several years ago Sheba developed diarrhoea out of the blue and nothing helped. I stopped her canned food (m/d) and started a home made diet where I could control what she ate and the problem went away.

4. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

Light in color poop can be a symptom of EPI, Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency.
    What color exactly?

Could you take a picture of the poop, and post it here. No worries, we are used to seeing poop pictures! ;)

Specifically, which Fancy Feast are you feeding? style (pate, chunky naturals, etc); flavor (turkey&giblet, beef, etc)
    Your signature says the FF naturals, but sometimes that changes and people don't update the signature.

It could be an allergy to an ingredient in the food.

No, rice will not help and will simply cause the BG levels to be too high.
    Sometimes, plain canned pumpkin can help. The added fiber helps the digestive tract work smoother. Doesn't work for all cats. You already tried that, for a few days, and had no luck.

Has Sassy been on a course of antibiotics lately?

5. Dusty & Roe

Dusty & Roe Member

Iam not as experienced as the other members but my first thought would be could it be something she is eating ? Could she possibly be eating things she shouldn’t like plants , flowers or grass ? 16 days is she dehydrated ?

6. Christie & Maverick

Christie & Maverick Well-Known Member

That's a long time with diarrhea, too long. Dehydration can become a problem, especially with cats, and for such a prolonged period. I'd be considering bringing a stool sample in for testing of parasites. The Metronazidole should have kicked out anything bacterial, but my recollection is it can also affect the good gut bacteria. Hope things improve soon.

7. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

When you do the antibiotic and the S Boulardii at the same time, make sure to space them out. I try to give the probiotics 3-4 hours after or before the antibiotic because the antibiotic kills everything in the gut

Deb & Wink and Dusty & Roe like this.
  8. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

Stool sample is a good idea!!

Always give probiotics with antibiotics to counter act the killing off the good bacteria effect

Deb & Wink and Michsassy like this.
  9. Michsassy

Michsassy Member

A very light tan colored poop. I will take a photo. Glad you won’t mind. I was going to post a photo.

Fancy feast naturals seafood, tuna, chicken, beef more pates than the chunky. Nothing different than in the two months prior. For three or four days I was giving her for midday and dinner blended plain boiled chicken breast.
    No antibiotics prior to onset of diarrhea.
    Vet gave Metronidazole Tuesday because of diarrhea Half a tablet twice a day, seven-day dose.
    I just read up on EPI.
    I’m waiting to catch her urinating for Ketone test

Deb & Wink and Dusty & Roe like this.
  10. Michsassy

Michsassy Member

Will do. Thank you so much for taking the time to respond. So appreciative

11. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

Please note that a specific test for EPI is absolutely essential before giving pancreatic enzymes. The drugs are not something that a vet should say, "well, it's worth a try."

12. Michsassy

Michsassy Member

Got it. Thank you.

13. Michsassy

Michsassy Member

This morning poop photo.

Attached Files:

14. Michsassy

Michsassy Member

15. SashaV

SashaV Well-Known Member

Could it be that she's really constipated?
    Have you got some xrays?
    Giardia?

Poop samples first.
    If nothing seems to be out of order I'd give some HUSK in her canned food with extra water. It works for hard and loose poops. My non diabetic got RC fibre response with more fibres/HUSK it made a huge difference.

16. Michsassy

Michsassy Member

No xrays. will do poop sample. My poor sassy.
    What is HUSK? Psyllium? Metamucil

17. SashaV

SashaV Well-Known Member

Yes psyllium.

18. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

It’s human I got it at target. Like Sasha said it’s like pumpkin it works for both constipation and diarrhea. It didn’t work for Minnie but start with a small amount like 1/8 of a teaspoon once a day

Attached Files:

Deb & Wink and Diane Tyler's Mom like this.
  19. Deb & Wink

Can't open the poop picture.

20. Susan & Claudio

Susan & Claudio Member

That's odd because I can see it.

21. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

I can see the poop pic but can't open the attachment

22. Deb & Wink

I meant it won't open to a bigger size, when I click on the picture.

Diane Tyler's Mom likes this.
  23. Diane Tyler's Mom

Maybe she should contact Robert, he said to report any problems :cat:

Deb & Wink likes this.
  24. Deb & Wink

I did report it. Can't open Ale's picture either, in post # 18 in this thread.

25. Diane Tyler's Mom

I can't open Ale's either

26. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

I can see it too...

27. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

And now it won’t let me attach it again. It says file is too big

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.