Diabetes and kidney infection. Some questions

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Vicky & Sharess, Jun 18, 2024.

1. Vicky & Sharess

Vicky & Sharess Member

Hello guys!

My Sharess has cystitis, pyelonephritis and possible triaditis due to a bacterial infection and it has affected her kidneys, pancreas and intestine. She has very high creatinine and the veterinarian has prescribed antibiotics, buprex, cerenia, gabapentin and subcutaneous fluid every day.

We started the treatment on Saturday and in a few hours we are going to go to the vet again to repeat the blood test and see if the creatinine has decreased.

Should we change the diet to wet renal food while she recovers? The vet says that diabetic food and kidney food are quite the opposite, and I don't really know what to do. Any suggestions? Any particular brand of food that could be better for a diabetic cat with kidneys issues?

Thanks a lot in advance!

2. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

There are lists of low carb foods that are also low in phosphorus. This is a link to one of those lists. It's typically the phosphorus that effects the kidneys. I'd also suggest asking the vet if using a phosphorus binder would be an option.

If you've not already done so, you might want to take a look at Tanya's site for kidney disease. There's likely some information there about food choices.

3. Vicky & Sharess

Vicky & Sharess Member

awww thanks a lot! No I didnt. I will have a look right away. <3

Regarding Sharess, she is way better and the levels in the blood test are almost normal. The creatinine is still a bit high but it changed from 2'47mg/dL to 1'96mg/dL in 4 days. So the antibiotics and the fluid are working. :D

They have extended the antibiotic for 14 days and then we have to wait a week without antibiotics and do a urine culture. I will keep you posted. I swear she scared me to death :nailbiting:

4. Veronica & Babu-chiri

Veronica & Babu-chiri Well-Known Member

I'm glad she's better and yes usually UTI's raise creatinine a bit ( or a lot) but it usually goes down once the infection clears, still if you need to consider a change in his diet, go for one of the low carb low phosphorus options in the list, and try to avoid kiddney prescrition diets since they are way high in carbs and low in protein which also causes them too loose muscle mass, you usually you do not need to feed a kidney prescription diet unless his is in the late stages of kiddney desease which luckily Sharess is not

Vicky & Sharess likes this.
  5. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Vicky & Sharess likes this.