diabatic has asthma

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by darcylynn, May 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darcylynn

darcylynn New Member

Hello
    Its 3am and im sitting up with my Baby who was dianosed with asthma last week. His asthma got worse tonight and I am waiting on an inhaler first tuesday! very frustrating! I was so worried I called the vet a little bit ago and he said he couldnt do anything except give him a steroid shot! I decided to give Baby benedryl on top of the prednisone I am giving him throughout the weekend! Now Im in tears! the vet told me not to call him back if I decided to bring him in because he had to work in a couple hours!! He just went on to tell me that its going to cost me 200.00 a month for inhalers! I cant do this!! Its so hard having two diabetic cats already! One of mine is newly diagnosed and I have spent lots just getting him diagnosed! after 2 seizures! I have had my kids for 14 years! and I am struggling so bad with my bills!! I have thoughts of putting them down because of the stress of my bills! then I feel horrible for even thinking about it because the diabetes is manageable and hopefully the asthma will be too!! Im so frustrated and in tears!! Anyone with information on asthma....treatments that are affordable?
    FEELING HOPELESS TONIGHT!
    DARCY

2. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

Darcy,

Sorry you are going through this, but honestly, it's not that expensive to purchase inhalers. There is a feline asthma yahoo group that you may want to join to help you with this. But many of us purchase our inhalers from here: Four corners pharmacy

http://www.4cnrs-asthma-allergy.com/flovent.html

They are located overseas and will ship to the US. Please note that while the prices are quoted in US$, if you use a credit for the purchase, your credit card company will charge a currency conversion fee. Also, you don't need a prescription to order inhalers.

And yes, it's ok to purchase the generic brand of flovent which is flixotide. If you buy in bulk, the overall cost is cheaper and will give you what you need. Did the vet suggest a dose level? If not, you may want to just purchase the highest dose 220/250 as a lot of cats are on that level.

Also, note, that if you give the oral steroid (prednisone or prednisolone) you have to watch the BG levels as this could impact the amount of insulin you need to give.

The good news in all this, is the flovent (inhaled steroid) does not affect bg level.

3. squeem3

squeem3 Well-Known Member

This web site has more info about how to treat feline asthma: http://www.fritzthebrave.com/

The best asthma treatment for diabetic cats is the inhaled Flovent using the AeroKat device. Flovent will not affect the blood glucose levels. Hilary posted a link to an online pharmacy where you can get the generic Flovent for pretty cheap. Before you order it, ask the vet what strength of Flovent your cat will be on. Flovent comes in 3 different strengths.

Here are tips on how to save money on your diabetic cats' costs: http://binkyspage.tripod.com/frugal.html

4. Deanie and Boo (GA) and Scout

Deanie and Boo (GA) and Scout Well-Known Member

If he's having problems now, you should have a rescue inhaler of Albuterol on hand. Albuterol is relatively inexpensive and if your vet has not yet given you a prescription for one, I would ask for it now. You can fill it at a local pharmacy at a fairly low cost.

Treating asthma with inhaled meds involves 2 different inhalers. Flovent is the inhaled steroid that keeps the inflammation down and Albuterol is the rescue inhaler needed to help open airways during an attack.

5. darcylynn

darcylynn New Member

Thank you
    Baby passed yesterday at 2pm due to complications with breathing. very sad time here at home. Seymore seems to know his brother is gone, thank you for responding to my post.

6. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

I am very sorry for your loss. Fly free Baby.

7. Lisa and Merlyn (GA)

Lisa and Merlyn (GA) Well-Known Member

OH no! I am so very sorry for your loss. Sending many cyber hugs your way. Baby is flying free now, whole and healthy over the Rainbow Bridge. rb_icon

8. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

(((((Darcy))))) My heart is breaking for your sadness. May time and good memories in time bring you peace, Fly free, dear Baby. wings_cat

9. MommaOfMuse

MommaOfMuse Well-Known Member

(((((Darcy)))))

I am so sorry that Baby had to leave you! But he is running free now chasing butterflies at the Rainbow Bridge, where he will wait for you until you all meet again.

Fly free Baby and land oh so softly, you will be so missed so visit often.

Mel, Maxwell, Musette, Autumn and the Fur Gang

10. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

Oh my goodness...I'm so very sorry for your loss. My heart and prayers go out to you.
    Fly free sweet Baby, fly free
    jeanne

11. Doug N Libby

Doug N Libby Well-Known Member

Oh, Darcy -

I am so very sorry you lost your sweet Baby.

Hugs and Prayers -

Libby (and Hershey, too!)

12. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

May your good memories help lighten grief.

13. darcylynn

darcylynn New Member

I cannot thank you all enough for the kind words! I am greatful for you all. I know my Baby is in a good place. It is so hard, but he will always be in my heart until the day we meet again. Thank you All!!!

darcy

14. calliecat an marty

calliecat an marty Member

Darcy I am so sorry for your loss of your precious boy :YMHUG: to you !1

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.