Cross post w/ Lantus - Boomer, +2.5=50, +3=63

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Traci and Boomer, Jan 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Traci and Boomer

Traci and Boomer Well-Known Member

Lantus has been slow the last couple days. Boomer got a dose reduction on 1-2 in the PM shot to .25. I've gave him a fat .25 tonight because his numbers were a little high and the next thing I know he gives me a 50 at +2.5. I fed him an entire can of LCW and retested at +3 and now he's 63. I gave him another pouch of LCW and he's chowing. He's been extrememly hungry and extremely active tonight - like never before active. Maybe that lowered his BG's?

Do I need to worry about a hypo? I was up late last night because of my mother's cat and now this.

What do you all think? Should I retest in a few minutes?

2. Sarah and Buzz

Sarah and Buzz Well-Known Member

Hi Traci! You've had a tough couple of nights. :(

I am not sure what kind of nadir Lantus gives you, so I will stay away from that. The only thing I can really comment on is that I was always told to see 2 rising #s before calling it a night (assuming nadir was already hit).

It sounds like you are doing well with the food, though. I guess you should after all your practice last night. ;) I'm sorry LL has been slow and that I can't give more advice.

3. Traci and Boomer

Traci and Boomer Well-Known Member

Re: Cross post w/ Lantus - Boomer, +2.5=50, +3=63, +3.25=

Two rising numbers helps!!! I didn't know that. +3.25 is now 72.
    I can't believe this after last night!!! Hopefully he's ok and I can to go bed soon.

4. Vicky & Gandalf (GA) & Murrlin

Vicky & Gandalf (GA) & Murrlin Well-Known Member

Please be careful giving too much food in case you need to get his BGs up later and then he's full and won't eat for you.

Coming up after eating is good. If you test at +4 and get another higher number, all's probably well, but do you know his approximate peak time? Perhaps set your alarm for a half hour or hour before that and test him again.

Do you have a timed feeder? If so, you could put more food in it, set it to go off in a couple hours so he can get more food if he needs it while you're asleep otherwise if you leave more down for him, will he eat it all up at once?

Some cats know if they go too low and will eat to raise their BGs. Gandalf does this, I call it parking. If he goes too low (30ish) he will go to his feeder, sit down and eat. He's a grazer, so sitting to eat is unusual.

Even a fat .25U is very little insulin, so although he could low, he most likely wouldn't have a severe hypo on that small amount of insulin. You probably won't want to "fat" the dose again though :smile:

5. Sarah and Buzz

Sarah and Buzz Well-Known Member

I've spent many a night on hypo-watch, and when it would get down to the wire and I was so tired that there was no way I could keep my eyes open, I would test every 15-20 minutes rather than waiting 1/2 an hour.

I think the reasoning behind 2 rising #s is to make sure one isn't just a fluke, or because of a food spike or something. It was never explained, so I could be way off, but it made sense to me. ;)

Just out of curiosity, when does Boomer usually hit peak?

6. Libby and Lucy

Libby and Lucy Senior Member Moderator

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.