GA Confused, frustrated, scared and frantic

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by SteveH, May 4, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SteveH

SteveH New Member

Hello all,

I don't know how introductions work here exactly. If I'm to announce myself like a newbie at an AA meeting. But I'm Steve. My 12 year old male cat, Ringo, has been diagnosed with FD and on twice daily insulin injections for going on three months now. This weekend and the week's start has been a frantic storm of misinformation and suffering for my cat, despite my doing all I can to field and rescue him from suffering. And I am at my wit's end, watching him starve to death.

Long story short, we have noticed a continual weight loss with Ringo since just before the diagnosis, from 11 some-odd lbs to now 8lbs at last weigh (following vet's visit today). Multiple vet visits, with blood tests, urine tests and two ultrasounds have eliminated a host of possible co-issues. We were scared he had lymphoma but that was discarded on the second ultrasound as food. A pretty costly goose chase I'm still mad about.

Despite all that and the recommended dose of 2 units of ProZinc twice a day if he's eating, he's been relatively fine until just this week. Now he's drunk in behavior, listless, breathing hard and vomits, despite not eating a thing (and we've been putting just about anything and everything in front of him, in hopes he'll be interested).

Ringo's medical record is now at three different area vets (our main vet, the ultrasound 24 hour place and another emergency vet hospital). And no one seems to have a solid solution as to what is eating him alive.

Attached Files:

jt and trouble (GA) likes this.
  2. Judy and Freckles

Judy and Freckles Well-Known Member

Hi Steve,

I'm so sorry to hear the ordeal that you and Ringo have been going through. You've found the right place though to get some help and support. Are you home testing? Want to make sure that he's not going to low.

3. SteveH

SteveH New Member

I just got an AlphaTRAK today and will begin testing him tomorrow. But they tested him at the vet's at 5pm when we picked him up. They said he was low but to wait on any injections until he actually ate something. He's not eaten anything since we got him home and just lays there, staring and breathing hard.

4. Judy and Freckles

Was he laying there, staring and breathing hard at the vets today?

5. Judy and Freckles

On your thread there's a way to edit the title under 'thread tools' on the right.
    upload_2020-5-4_23-29-28.png

Click the prefix tab and enter 911. I'm really concerned about your kitty. That will draw some eyes of some very experienced people that may be able to help support.

upload_2020-5-4_23-31-30.png

Attached Files:

6. Judy and Freckles

Can you test his blood glucose tonight? Did the vet say what his number was earlier?

7. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

Welcome Steve, you are in the right place to help Ringo
    There are many experienced members here that can help Ringo, believe me my cat wouldn't be doing so good if it wasn't for everyone here

I know you must be scared but try to hang in there , does he seem to be nauseous, like he'll go to eat but walks away

I'm glad you are going to home test, it's the only way to keep Ringo safe, to see how the insulin is affecting him, if it's too high a dose, etc

Until more members come on board tomorrow if you would set up your signature
    Would you please put some information in your User Id "Signature", so we can help you better. It will be attached to all your posts, once you do that. Directions for doing that are here in this link>>>>>> Editing your Signature, Profile, and Preferences

Sticky New? How You Can Help Us Help You!

We also use spreadsheets to keep track of our cats blood glucose numbers
    Can you set up the spreadsheet so that we can see how the insulin is working for Ringo when you start testing , if you have trouble setting it up there is a member that will set it up for you so you can record his numbers,
    The template and instructions can be accessed here: FDMB SPREADSHEET INSTRUCTION IS

8. Diane Tyler's Mom

Thank you Judy, the poor kitty

9. Diane Tyler's Mom

Aim for the sweet spot , You might want to purchase 28 gauge lancets and do it free hand on a 46 degree angle, eventually more capillaries will grow and it becomes easier or you can buy the lancing device which I have never used, just did it free hand.If you choose to go with the device I would ask the members which one they would recommend
    Start to rub his ears to get him used to it, warm them up first, if need be put some rice in a sock and warm it in the microwave and put it on his ears, make sure its not to hot.

[​IMG]Diabetic Cat Care Home Testing Your Cat’s BG

[​IMG]

10. Judy and Freckles

I've pm'd Wendy, Marje and Sienne. But we need Steve to come back on to say what's going on. I'm going to be heading to bed pretty soon and I would like more experienced members to take a look at Ringo's symptoms.

11. Diane Tyler's Mom

I know I wonder where he is

12. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

Steve

His behavior warrants a trip to the ER. Please keep us posted. Sending tons of healing thoughts for your little guy.

By the way, starting at 2u of PZ is a pretty high dose. I’m worried he’s overdosed.

13. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

14. PH&MonkeyPenPenFaFaTiger

PH&MonkeyPenPenFaFaTiger Member

It must be hard to see your cat suffer. I send you prayers. :bighug: Here is the best place to seek help. No matter what happen, Ringo is lucky to have your love and care. Recently my cat Monkey is having unstable BG with some uncertain condition, it is hard for me. So I not only need to take care of him, but take care of my mental health to have the strength:bookworm:

15. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

16. Diane Tyler's Mom

He never got back on

17. jt and trouble (GA)

18. SteveH

SteveH New Member

So I'm sorry to update everyone so late but I didn't receive email updates on this thread and came back today to check on it. Ringo unfortunately passed away on Tuesday. My wife and I made the very painful decision to ease his suffering and let have him have the peace he was more than ready for (even if we weren't). We have been dealing with it as best we can but it's been very hard.

Thank you to all of you who listened or worried about him.

Last edited: May 7, 2020
  19. jt and trouble (GA)

Oh my gosh! I am so very sorry. May Ringo's spirit stay close. I'm so very sorry. :(

Deb & Wink and SteveH like this.
  20. SteveH

SteveH New Member

He was opened-eyed and sweet and so brave, even at the end. Just fearless in his little gentle way. We're going to miss him so much.

21. jt and trouble (GA)

Awwwwwwwww sniff :bighug:

Deb & Wink likes this.
  22. Diane Tyler's Mom

Oh Steve you are making me cry saying he was so brave, this is the second kitty that passed away this week, it just breaks my heart. You did the right thing , ease his suffering. Just looking at his picture and that sweet face. Fly high sweet Ringo, you are now pain free cat_wings>o:bighug::bighug::bighug:

23. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA) Well-Known Member

I’m so very sorry Steve. But you put his needs ahead of yours and did the best for him. That’s the hardest thing to do, but when quality of life is gone we have to be their heroes and end their suffering. And now you know it’s his turn to watch over you forever. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your wife. RIP Ringo cat_wings>o:rb_icon:

24. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

Lighting a ring of candles, in memory of Steve's beloved cat Ringo.

candle.jpg
    May some sweet memories of him gladden your heart, in time.

25. Judy and Freckles

Steve: my condolences to you and your family. Poor little Ringo sounded like he really had a rough go of things. It's such a hard decision to make because those darn little furballs are family. Thank you for coming back to the forum. We were very worried about him. We are never ready for them to leave us. :bighug:

26. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

My deepest sympathies on your loss. :bighug: You've been through a lot, be gentle on yourself.

27. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry. My baby just passed so this made me burst into tears all over again. So sorry you're going through the same thing.

28. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

I am so very, very sorry to hear this, Steve. May your love and wonderful memories bring you peace at this time.

29. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

I’m so sorry. :bighug:

SteveH and Deb & Wink like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.