Charlie - diagnosed Sept 1

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Sarah Gamm, Sep 6, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sarah Gamm

Sarah Gamm Member

Charlie was diagnosed on Sept 1. I immediately changed him from Hill’s c/d (dry) (Carbs 40%+) to Hill’s m/d (dry) (carbs 15%)

We’re now switching to Dr Elsey’s. Working on wet food but that will take much longer.

My main concerns now are around units to inject. He was diagnosed at 32. But with the diet change and start of insulin he’s around 15. He started insulin Friday night. Vet recommended 2 units, twice a day.

If he’s still around 15 for pmps, I’m wondering if I should be reducing to 1 unit instead of 2 units? I think with the switch to Dr Elsey’s I’m going to try 1 unit.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/u/0/d/14-81a2Kn2CbpXV-B-CUdnJmgePKz4SH9QfoJFIgI52E/htmlview

2. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Hi, Sarah and welcome!

It's great that you have a spreadsheet set up.The bad news is that it's not ours and the automatic conversion between the World sheet and the US isn't working. I'm tagging someone to see if they can get this fixed. @Bandit's Mom

I think you are wise to lower the dose. It's often hard to select a dose when you're dropping the amount of carbs and you are making a drastic (and necessary) change. With Lantus, the starting dose is often in the ballpark of 1.0u.

If Charlie is a dry food junkie, there may be some other options. There are a couple of other foods that have helped on the low carb front. Chewy's makes a freeze dried raw that has a crunch factor. ZiwiPeak makes an air dried raw that looks a lot like jerky treats and may be a good alternative.

I'm also linking a post on how you can help us help you. It will go through a few items, like setting up your signature. as well as information on spreadsheet, etc. If you want more information on Lantus, there is a ton of information in the sticky notes at the top of the Lantus board.

Please let us know how we can help.

Bandit's Mom and Sarah Gamm like this.
  3. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

WELCOME TO FDMB Sarah Glad you found us! We are a dedicated group of kitty cat lovers all sharing one thing feline diabetes.

I cannot give dosing advice but there are experienced helpful people who can. I see you are a Lantus user you may want t include that in your signature so folks at a glance can see what you use.

We strive to help any and all who find us so WELCOME TO OUR FAMILY. :bighug:
    Hold on for more replies and welcomes.
    I need to start dinner right now so I will leave you to our members.
    Nice to meet you,
    jeanne

Sarah Gamm likes this.
  4. Sarah Gamm

Sarah Gamm Member

yea I’m not sure what’s wrong with the spreadsheet. I saved it to my computer and the conditional formatting works (the automatic colour coding), but in the google drive it doesn’t.

Charlie is a dry food junkie unfortunately. we’re going to make the switch to Dr Elsey’s and possibly in the future to Young Again. Chewy’s unfortunately doesn’t ship to Canada

I think I’m going to drop to insulin dose to 1 unit and then play it by ear (since we’re switching to a lower carb food). I will check out the sticky posts on the Lantus board. Thank you

Edit: I fixed my spreadsheet :)

Last edited: Sep 6, 2020
    Bandit's Mom likes this.
  5. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Thanks for starting here. You will get set up with a signature and all the info to get you started and then start posting on the Lantus board.

Sarah Gamm likes this.
  6. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

Waving to you from Ontario. Welcome.

Sarah Gamm likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.