Cat won’t eat at shot time and already missed one shot

Discussion in 'Caninsulin / Vetsulin and N / NPH' started by Mary & Navi, Nov 28, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mary & Navi

Mary & Navi Member

Hey guys. Not sure what to do. One of my non diabetic cats has a sore mouth and wasn’t eating so I gave her some tuna to get some food in her and gave some to my diabetic as well. Well, this morning the diabetic threw up the tuna and refused to eat her breakfast. Her BG was 438 on a human meter (about usual for her) and since she didn’t eat I didn’t give her her Vetsulin. I gave them both smaller little snacks throughout the day and they both ate fine every time (maybe even acting hungrier, but I didn’t want to risk overfeeding).

Well, comes dinner and night time shot and the diabetic is refusing her dinner again. BG was 420. I know I can’t shoot without her eating, but I’m sure I should skip another shot. Any suggestions? She’s fine otherwise...I’m actually wondering if she knows she gets shot after she eats and is refusing to just to be a pain.

Any info/suggestions would be much appreciated! TIA!

2. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

I answered on fb but I'll say it here too. With a bg that high I would shoot even with the lower appetite. She had been eating through the day, it's just now at shot time she's not interested, right? Had she eaten in the last two hours? I'd give her the 2 units and test in 3-4 hours. If you are concerned then give 1.5.

Yong & Maury GA likes this.
  3. JanetNJ

If you have a spreadsheet with the readings can you post the link in your signature? If you have not started one, could you? It would make offering dosing advice much easier. We can get someone to set it up for you if you need help.

4. Mary & Navi

Mary & Navi Member

Thank you! She ate maybe 3 hranor so ago. I made sure it wasnt less than 2 hours somher numbers wouldn’t be affected. I’ll probably wait a little while longer (7:30p here now so maybe until 8) to see if she’ll nibble anything, test again and shoot.

Thank you again. I just really didn’t want to miss a second shot!

5. Mary & Navi

Mary & Navi Member

I haven’t done it yet because I don’t have a working computer at the moment. I’ve been marking all of her results and shot amounts in a daily planner I’ve purchased just for her.

JanetNJ likes this.
  6. JanetNJ

The danger with not eating is that you don't want them going too low..... Your cat had never been anywhere close to too low... Mostly in the 300's.... I'd say it's safe to shoot.

Yong & Maury GA and Mary & Navi like this.
  7. JanetNJ

If you have a smart phone you can do it on there. You'll need to download the app Google Sheets.

Mary & Navi likes this.
  8. Mary & Navi

Mary & Navi Member

Roger that. Yeah last Friday morning was her low day (289) then she ranged from 344-569 from then until now (this morning she was at 437, tested at noon and it was at 463, then tonight she was at 420).

I’ll go ahead and shoot and then test a couple times before bed.

And once I get a computer up and running I’ll get the spreadsheet started! Thank you again!!

9. Mary & Navi

Mary & Navi Member

I just gave her half a dose. Her BG went down to 390. I’ll test again in 30 mins.

10. Mary & Navi

Mary & Navi Member

Ok I figured out how to set up a spreadsheet on mobile and the link should be in my signature. I’ve updated it since I started testing (11-14) up until just a few mins ago I tested and will test again in an hour!

11. JanetNJ

Well done! Nice to see a few blues in there.

12. JanetNJ

Is she eating today?

13. Mary & Navi

Mary & Navi Member

Sorry for some reason I didn’t get the alert that you sent this! All was back to normal the next day. Thank you for asking!

Elizabeth and Bertie and JanetNJ like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.