Cat started drooling....

Discussion in 'Caninsulin / Vetsulin and N / NPH' started by Ever & Holly, Apr 20, 2021.

1. Ever & Holly

Ever & Holly New Member

I'll start by saying I fell out of the routine of testing my cat when I had to go to the hospital and was having a rough time. My vet did test her about three weeks ago and she was still high (in the 500s) so he instructed me to go from 1u to 2u.

I've been doing that for a few weeks and she's been doing fine, but today I noticed she was drooling. I took her blood sugar and she was at 105 at +9. This seems pretty low for so long after her shot and with her drooling I'm nervous about giving her a shot. I'll test her again closer to her shot time but is it okay to skip a dose or give her a small amount?

2. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

See what her numbers are at shot time. I won't be online then. If you do not get a response, post in the Health Forum where more eyes will see you.
    Tagging some late night people to watch for your post in Health.
    @Bron and Sheba (GA) @tiffmaxee @Bandit's Mom
    @Wendy&Neko

I'm sorry you were in hospital and hope you are beginning to feel better.

Noah & me (GA) likes this.
  3. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Ever and Holly and welcome to the forum.
    It looks like you didn’t test before the shot of 2 units this morning so Holly could have been low and she could have dropped lower during the cycle before you found her drooling at +9.
    have you tested again? Is she still drooling ?
    I would strongly advise you to test before every shot to see it is safe to shoot. I’m sorry you have been unwell.
    Also going from1 unit to 2 units is doubling the dose. I would reduce the dose back to 1 unit until you are testing and can see what the BGs are. Then if needed I would increase to1.25 units. We recommend only increasing the dose in1/4 unit increments.
    Are you feeding during the cycles as well as the Preshot meal? Are you feeding 30 minutes before giving the shot?

Noah & me (GA) likes this.
  4. Noah & me (GA)

Noah & me (GA) Well-Known Member

Can you describe the drooling? Is it constant, just wet or dripping, bubbly foam. Could there be a dental issue?

Can you describe the drooling? :banghead: :coffee: