Cat seems more hungry since switch

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by paige, Dec 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. paige

paige Well-Known Member

Since Webber was diagnosed and I switched his food to DM he seems to be alot more interested in MY food. This is not usual for him since he has never been interested in people food. Am I just being overly paranoid that he is hungry all the time? Is it possible for him to be craving those carbs?

On the positive side - he does seem to look forward to his wet food morning and evening. I don't know that I will ever be able to go 100% wet food because I have 4 cats. The two youngest could care less for the DM wet food. Hopefully when I run out of the DM and purchase some EVO or something they ALL will be interested.

Thank you for listening.....

2. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

Not surprising. You took away the pretzels and chips that he was stuffing himself with. Plus unregulated cats tend to eat more than normal. So, it's ok to feed him for than you think he ought to have.

Also, you don't have to continue using the DM, you can return to vet for a refund. Just tell vet that the cat won't eat it.

And then you can feed him better quality food.

3. paige

paige Well-Known Member

Poor thing....the only people food that I ever did give him that he liked is Wheat Thins. No more of those. I am hoping my trip to Petsmart tomorrow will be more fruitful that the last. I could not find any freeze dried treats that time. I also have to buy more litter. Boy do sugarbabies go through the litter.

4. Victoria & Sundance

Victoria & Sundance Member

Paige, Webber's urination will reduce once he is better regulated. I do remember all the litter I went through for the months before Sundance's diagnosis.

If you have a Chinese/Asian market near you, you can pick up dried tiny fish and/or fish flakes to give to him. I think they are sold for soups so you might want to read the ingredients to make sure it's strictly fish and no flavours or such... but many people on this board have saved money using those as treats.

5. Nicole & Baby

Nicole & Baby Well-Known Member

I feel your pain with the food switch, I never thought Baby would adjust, but she sure has!
    We have used the tuna flakes & pure bites dog treats sold at Petsmart. Both have worked wonders, it took about a week!
    People also recommended (but did not work for us) to sprinkle parmesean cheese on the canned food, or make a "kitty shake" mix the canned food & teaspoon or two of water & mix, then they lap it up like gravy. Also, check out fortiflora for cats, worked wonders too.

6. paige

paige Well-Known Member

Victoria and Nicole-- those are great ideas. I have used the fortiflora in the past for my other kitty's tummy troubles.

I am so glad to have found this message board. <<hugs>>

7. Nicole & Baby

Nicole & Baby Well-Known Member

Also, just to note... I kind of crumble the pure bites chicken treat & sprinkle on top..same with the tuna flakes...just enough to entice..but not just stop & pick up the goodies & move on ;) Smart furbabies we all have :mrgreen: or they have us.....not so sure which way it is......either way...... hugs to you too & keep us posted....the only thing I can say is....never ever, ever give up..it just takes longer sometimes, it will happen

8. Gia and Quirk

Gia and Quirk Member

Hi Paige,

It looks as if no one has sent you here http://www.catinfo.org/ . It is the most valuable site for unbiased information on feline nutrition and, in my opinion the most important thing a new sugarmom needs to know.

As for the numbers on pet food cans, these are "weasel words". The industry standard, which isn't enforced anyway, allows maximum/minimun numbers, Well the difference between 'maximum 30 percent' and the truth can be as much as 70 percent. That's why Janet, who is a statistician, undertook the food charts project years ago. Those numbers are based on as fed analyses, in other words, what actually goes into a cat vs what goes into a batch of a thousand or more cans. The charts are a valuable resource, despite the fact that most of the manufacturers regard their as fed data as state secrets, to the detriment of all cats.

Your vet must give you a refund if you choose to return the so-called 'prescription' food and, after you have read Dr. Pierson's site you will want to change the diet of all your cats to a species appropriate one.

Gia & Quirk (GA)

Guilt trips are a detour from life

9. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

10. Amy and Six

Amy and Six Well-Known Member

Hi Paige,

Even getting Six's numbers into the 300s (sometimes 200s) has made huge difference on litter. Hang in there!

We switched over to Wellness canned about 12 days ago. My vet had recommended the MD, but I had read enough on this board to know I should look into something else. I had also experienced problems with vet food for CRF kitties. They never wanted to eat it and it was a waste of my money.

All of my kitties want some of the Wellness...so far, so good with Six too. It's all he eats besides treats. If you go to Wellness' website you can find locations where to buy - Petsmart is not one of them :( .

I am going to start experimenting with some Whiskas this week. That's easier to find and less expensive. Janet and Binky's chart has been a life saver.

Keep up the good work!

11. Jean and Megan

Jean and Megan Member

PetCo has Wellness. Not always a huge selection and not always all the possible sizes of cans, but at least you can find some there.

My PetCo only has the 3 oz cans. The 12.5 oz cans are a lot more economical. I get mine from a mom-and-pop pet food store near my house. They are happy to order it whenever I need it (Merrick, too).

12. Karen and Flo

Karen and Flo Member

Keep an eye out on Supply Closet for free shipping promos from www.petfooddirect.com. There's one there now, but it won't work for me. It's possible I used it already though...With the free shipping and no sales tax, it ends up being the cheapest source for Wellness that I've found, especially if the large cans are on sale as well, which sometimes happens. Another good (and cheaper) option is the canned EVO kitten and cat food. So far all 3 of my weasels like it just as much, and Flo's BG was 71 today after breakfast.

Here's the code--it's for free shipping up to 25 pounds, which should get you 2 cases of the large cans: PET3696

13. paige

paige Well-Known Member

Thank you thank you

14. Amy and Six

Amy and Six Well-Known Member

Thanks Karen for the info and thanks for asking this question Paige!

I just bought some Wellness, 5.5 oz @1.49 a can at Complete Petmart (is this a national store?) today.

The Whiskas on Janet and Binky's list was not at any of the pet food stores I visited today, including Petsmart, or the grocery.

I keep meaning to look into the petfooddirect option (too much to do as a newbie :!: ), but Karen you gave me a perfect excuse to do it now!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.