Canned Food Choices

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Nicole & Baby, Jan 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nicole & Baby

Nicole & Baby Well-Known Member

I feel as though I am beating a dead horse to death :roll:
    But I think of questions, notice patterns, etc. & want to ask.
    I have (thankfully) transitioned to Wellness canned only (Chicken) & Natures Variety Raw Rabbit with FDMB suggested treats "lightly" sprinkled on top (Freeze Dried - high protein/low carb)
    I understand the time & committment it takes for the food charts - but want to make sure that Wellness is still a good choice - I like the ingredients in it - but wonder if I should be feeding FF or Friskies? I tend to look at others spreadsheets & notice that there are some good outcomes with that - I fully understand the Insulin helps too. Just curious if there were any "educated/expert" thoughts on this?

2. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Nicole,

Not educated or an expert, but I think it generally comes out to finances. Wellness is considered better food, with better ingredients. But many of us have to feed a cheaper food, like Fancy Feast or Friskies. The ingredients aren't bad and certainly are miles better than dry. Both will work to help get a cat regulated. It's basically what you can afford and what your cat will eat. It looks like you have the food down.

What are you thinking about insulin? Looks like you are still getting numbers in the 200's. Probably would only take a smidgen of insulin and a little while to get her in wonderful low numbers.

3. Ronnie & Luna

Ronnie & Luna Well-Known Member

I know the feeling lol
    I'm no educated expert, but I have been hitting my head on the wall a number of times through the past months...Wellness is a good choice for canned food. We were using FF for a bit, but Luna got all sensitive to the beef and fish content (yes there is some fish in the ones that aren't labelled fish) weird.
    so back to Wellness we went. Every cat is different as they say. Sometimes you just gotta experiment till you find one that starts to show results.

4. squeem3

squeem3 Well-Known Member

The general rule is to feed your cat whatever he/she likes to eat (most important) and you can afford. Wellness is a good choice. Some cats eat Fancy feast or Friskies or other lesser expensive brands beause that's what they will only eat and/or the bean can find in the local stores and/or can afford. You can feed several different brands if you want so you cat has a variety of choices.

5. Nicole & Baby

Sue, I kind of want to start Insulin..to see...but I kind of don't too...
    I will be honest with you though..these are my true feelings...Baby is acting 100%..eating, not drinking (I mean she has to be...but not that I notice) she is active, playful & purring) AND is consistent with her BG, do I want it lower? Sure..
    I then look at some spreadsheets & see the fluctuation of BG & vomiting, not eating, etc.
    So..I kind of think we are Ok.. I mean not OK... we are Diabetic... I sound confused..because I am... I am just wrestling with what to do.

6. Karen and Flo

Karen and Flo Member

Wellness clearly has higher quality ingredients, but the price reflects that, which I think is why a lot of people use it (ETA: FF or Friskies) here, especially those with multiple cats. I do my best to shop around and stock up when there's a sale or free shipping offer.

7. Nicole & Baby

I agree, the cost is costly...
    But by the spreadsheets, etc. I don't see that it matters....... I am new & definitely do not know..just curious & thought I would post.
    We are all fabulous furbaby families or we would not be here. I think it is great how we care so much & have such an outpouring of love for our furry ones.
    This has consumed me since diagnosis & you all are the only ones that understand xoxoxo

8. Spacey & Ella

Spacey & Ella Member

Is going raw cheaper?
    That way you also have control over what ingredients you feet.

I'm trying to get my husband to get some grinder thingy so I can start chop up things and grind and so... I think, in the end it's cheaper and maybe also better for the cats. And maybe it also helps to stay off or go off the juice.
    Just my 2 cents.

9. Nicole & Baby

I buy the Natures Variety Raw Rabbit - Baby needs fortiflora & freeze dried crumbles to eat it up. Sadi will not touch it or any form of snacks.
    So I fee the Wellness Chicken also.
    I would love for them to be on all Raw - so far I think it is cheaper than the Wellness, from my own experience.

10. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

Starting insulin

Sue, I kind of want to start Insulin..to see...but I kind of don't too...
    I will be honest with you though..these are my true feelings...Baby is acting 100%..eating, not drinking (I mean she has to be...but not that I notice) she is active, playful & purring) AND is consistent with her BG, do I want it lower? Sure..
    I then look at some spreadsheets & see the fluctuation of BG & vomiting, not eating, etc.
    So..I kind of think we are Ok.. I mean not OK... we are Diabetic... I sound confused..because I am... I am just wrestling with what to do.

Hi Nicole,

I can appreciate that this is hard for you. She is feeling better. And the thought of insulin can be a little scary. The way I considered it was that it was a natural substance that Oliver had too little of and that giving it was a way to balance his body and get him healthy.

I think you know that the problem with waiting can be that the pancreas may be damaged. I am certainly no expert but it would seem like the higher bg levels would be wearing on the body. The last few days she has been steadily in the high 200's, sometimes higher, right?

If you start with a tiny amount, you can see what it does. You were thinking about Lantus, as I remember? If you have read the stickys on that support group forum, you have probably seen that cats can "surf" for hours with good numbers. There are very few hypos with Lantus and low numbers can be compensated pretty easily with small amounts of high carb food. The nice part about using Lantus would be that you would have a support group on that forum that is available to help you, and that is very
    knowledgable. You could send a private message about the idea of starting insulin to one of the people who wrote the stickies; the one I know about is Jill and Alex. Maybe she can give you some guidance. (Got to the Lantus forum and look at the stickies at the top. Click on Jill and Alex's name and then send a PM.)

When making a decision, I always do the tried and true method of weighing the postitives with the negatives. I don't see many downsides here. If the insulin makes her feel worse, you can lower the amount or take her off for a while. But if it works, you could have a regulated kitty off the juice.

You are her mom and have to do what you think is right, and safest for her. But I would urge you to get some input from others.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.