Caninsulin storage

Discussion in 'Caninsulin / Vetsulin and N / NPH' started by BooBoo, Jun 27, 2021.

1. BooBoo

BooBoo Member

Hi,
    Just wondering how other store their vials and pens. Obviously it needs to be in the fridge but does anyone have recommendations beyond there? Am really trying to keep the vials and the pen viable and clean in what is quite a small fridge packed with various foods! Tupperware? Bags? What are people using?
    Also, what is the expectation of packaging for caninsulin being delivered by post? I ordered a vial and it only arrived with the normal postman in a silver envelope - insulated I grant you, but nothing in there to keep the temp low.
    Fangs!

2. mosi_yazhi

mosi_yazhi Member

Hiiiii!

There's not usually a lot of people in the Vetsulin/Caninsulin forum, as I think a good chunk of the user base here uses Lantus, Levemir, Prozinc, etc.

You'd probably have better luck asking questions in the main Feline Health Forum.

But to answer your question -- if it's a vial, you wanna keep it stored right side up. I (personally) usually tossed mine in a short plastic tumbler like this while in the fridge, mostly to stop it from getting jostled/knocked over. I usually kept mine still in the little box, because I'm weird about keeping every little scrap of information with things like this ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Pens arent as fussy. I (again, personally) usually just keep mine in a zippered pouch, with a reusable lunchbox freeze pack in the pouch with it. I never FREEZE the ice pack, it's mostly just there to help keep it cold in case I do something dumb like forget to return the pouch with the insulin in it to the fridge afterward.

Make sure you get in the habit of drawing the insulin for a dose, and immediately putting it back in the fridge. Make it a muscle memory. You will save yourself so much worry and grief if you make sure you're diligent about putting it back first thing, omg.

Try not to store it on the door, since the temps on the door can fluctuate as you open/close it.

I dont really have an answer for you regarding getting insulin shipped in, as I haven't ordered online yet :)

3. BooBoo

BooBoo Member

Thanks for the reply! Am thinking of a travel toothbrush box for the pen .. anyway, thanks for ideas, I will explore further!

4. A Fae

A Fae Member

I'm new too. Ben's nick name is Boo Boo and he too is 13 years old. Everything I have read says keep refrigerated, where it won't move around, in the fridge interior where temp is consistent, don't let it freeze. Mine is in original box, in a freezer bag, in the back bottom of fridge where it is stable. HTH

5. BooBoo

BooBoo Member

Hi BooBoo!

A Fae likes this.