Buffy OTJ 3 months after diagnosis

Discussion in 'Honeymooners / OTJ' started by Elissa, May 31, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Elissa

Elissa New Member

Very happy to announce that Buffy is officially OTJ! She was diagnosed mid-February and put at first on one unit of Pro-Zinc, which increased to 2 units for a few weeks, then back to one unit, one-half unit, and her last dose of insulin was given on May 22. Her glucose level has been holding nice and steady, with the highest at 143 about 12 hours after a meal and 107 yesterday 8 hours after eating. I have been instructed to keep an eye on her drinking and peeing and to re-test in 2-3 weeks (and I guess periodically after that--how often do you re-test?)

Other than the Pro-Zinc, the biggest change was a complete change in food: to Wellness Core grain free as the base food, topped with Stella & Chewy or Instinct freeze-dried raw food (the freeze-dried she eats completely, the canned usually she eats about half). She is down about a pound and could stand to lose about 3 more pounds, but we'll take that slowly.

Very happy campers here and thank you for your help and advice when I've posted!

Sharon14, Jo & Buffy and BJM like this.
  2. jmalasiuk

jmalasiuk Member

Congratulations :) I test Tonka about once a week (more if he gives me a reason to worry). I think there's a suggestion of testing at least once a week for X number of weeks, and then you can test less (once every couple weeks, or once a month) after enough time has passed to be confident that her pancreas is still doing its job, but I can't recall the exact guidelines/numbers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.