? Boarding a cat that is currently in remission?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Riyah, Jun 14, 2024.

1. Riyah

Riyah Member

Hi everyone!

My family has our annual reunion coming up next weekend and I currently have our cat Lily booked for a private room at the boarding facility we've used for the past few years. She's stayed there a few times without too much issue although since she used to be an outside cat, the lack of space definitely bothered her.

She was diagnosed as diabetic November of last year and this reunion would be the first time boarding her since then. I'm a little worried because I know stress can cause the numbers to jump up. Is this a reasonable risk to consider? I realize I might sound hyper sensitive but that's how I am when it comes to Lily. She's also started to have some numbers pointing towards potential CKD and apparently a mediastinal cyst that our vet recommends monitoring for now.

She's going on 12 years old now so I want to make sure she's as stress free as possible but at the same time, I'd like to be able to spend time with family.

I'd 100% prefer for her to stay home and have a house sitter come by, but my parents won't allow it. I don't actually live with them but I do handle all health and boarding matters.

I guess my main fear would be that she would get so stressed that her cortisol would spike enough to give us high blood sugar levels, worst case knocking her out of remission. The facility is really nice and has always looked clean to me, but I also wonder if she could pick up some infection that could also heighten her numbers.

The facility also has a 24/7 webcam into her room so I can watch her whenever I want. Usually the first day she sits by the door crying to be let out but then usually settles and spends her time sleeping or getting pets from the staff. The other cats meow/cry sometimes and I can see them on the webcam, which might also bother her.

Any thoughts would be appreciated, thank you!

Last edited: Jun 14, 2024
  2. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

How long will you be gone? Do you provide the food and will they feed only that? Is she on any medications? Can you ask if they have Feliway plug ins to help with the stress? We've had people with diabetic cats leave the cat for boarding and I'd worry much more about that situation.

3. Riyah

Riyah Member

We'll be gone Thursday-Sunday, but they don't allow Sunday pickups so she'd be there Thursday-Monday morning. We do provide all food and they're good about keeping to a schedule. No medications at the moment, the only extra thing she gets is a probiotic sprinkled in her dinner. And they do have Feliway running constantly.

4. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Send her it with something that smells like you, a T-shirt that needs cleaning or towel rubbed on you, and a favourite toy or two. Sounds like she should be OK.