Black Bear (199?-December 8, 2010)

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Black Bear & AcroMeg, Dec 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Black Bear & AcroMeg

Black Bear & AcroMeg New Member

I lost my beloved Black Bear Wednesday. As some of you remember, he was a veteran street feral, diagnosed FIV+ and FeLV+ when I rescued him in January 2005 and given less than a year to live. Blind from retinopathy, crippled from a long-ago leg fracture and toothless, he got his FD diagnosis in March 2008. Thereupon began our tumultuous, wonderful relationship with this board. Through everything you supported me and Black Bear with infinite insight and patience.

Last winter the FIV started to catch up with him in the form of bone marrow cancer. Again, he wasn't supposed to make it through the summer, but in true Black Bear style he didn't get that memo. He had me so spoiled that when the end finally came, after "being ready" so many times before, I just wasn't ready at all. He was the best, most unlikely friend I could imagine. I can still feel his deep, rolling purr under my arm, against my side.

I want to thank everyone who has been there for us--and for all the sugarcats--24/7, year after year. "He's looking down on us," our marvelous vet said, after Black Bear exhaled his last breath. I know he's looking down on all of you, with that look of gratitude on his face I got to know so well.

2. OptOut

OptOut Well-Known Member

Hi Megan. I've been wondering about you guys...I'm so sorry that you lost your baby. Your special boy had a special mama and I'm glad you gave him such a wonderful life after such a hard start.

3. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

Black Bear sounds like such a special kitty and such a fighter. May he now enjoy those angel wings he certainly has earned them.
    My sincere condolences for your loss. Fly free Bear land softly...

jeanne

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Megan, Black Bear had so much love in his last years....so much love and tender care.
    fly free Brave Strong Black Bear!!! you left your paw prints here forever.

5. chriscleo

chriscleo Well-Known Member

oh, megan, i'm so so sorry.
    what a great fighter he was, with you by his side.
    really glad you had the extra time with him.
    (((Hugs)))

[cleo died oct 31, in case you didn't know. so i join you in mourning.]

6. pamela and tigger

pamela and tigger Well-Known Member

I am so sorry Megan. Sheila told me the sad news. I can't imagine any of us is ever 'ready' for this. That must have been so hard for you but so brave too. Fly forever free Black Bear. (((hugs Megan)))

7. Karen & Smokey(GA)

Karen & Smokey(GA) Well-Known Member

I am so sorry for your loss.

May all your wonderful memories of Black Bear bring you comfort...

...'til you meet again.

8. WCF and Meowzi

WCF and Meowzi Well-Known Member

I'm very sorry for your loss, Megan.

9. Janice & Johnny

Janice & Johnny Well-Known Member

Megan, I'm so sorry for the loss of your sweet Black Bear. How lucky he was to find you. And you probably feel the same. It sounds like you took good care of each other.

10. Sheila & Beau GA & Jeddie GA

Sheila & Beau GA & Jeddie GA Well-Known Member

(((Megan))) This post made me cry all over again. No matter how unfair life was to him, he had 5+ wonderful years with you that he never would have had otherwise. He got so much love that he defied the odds as long as he did. You did a magnificent job with him.

Now he is with Geordie and Echo, and Murphy, and all his kindred sugarkitty cousins. He is whole and running and can see to chase the light beams.

Fly free Black Bear. rb_icon

11. Melissa&Paul-Kyle

Melissa&Paul-Kyle Well-Known Member

I am so sorry for your loss Megan.

What a wonderful life you two had together- thank you for giving him respite from the obviously hard life he had before you came along.

Godspeed and Angelwings, Fly free Black Bear! (((Megan)))

12. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

(((((Megan))))) I am so sorry. Fly free, dearest Black Bear. wings_cat

13. Carolyn and Spot

Carolyn and Spot Well-Known Member

Oh Megan, I am so very sorry! Sending you much love in this very sad time. Fly free sweet Bear, and be sure to visit your mama often!
    ((((Megan))))

14. Lisa and Merlyn (GA)

Lisa and Merlyn (GA) Well-Known Member

Oh no!!! Not Black Bear...another board legend kitty. (((((((((((((((((((((MEGAN)))))))))))))))))))))) Wrapping you in cyber hugs. I am so very sorry for your loss. I know that Merlyn and Bear will find each other in the spirit world and give it a shake down! Bear is flying free now, whole and healthy over the Rainbow Bridge rb_icon

wings_cat

15. Ele & Blackie (GA)

Ele & Blackie (GA) Well-Known Member

I am so sorry for your loss of Black Bear. He will always be in your heart. Sending you peace and comfort.
    Fly Free Black Bear! wings_cat

16. Vicky & Gandalf (GA) & Murrlin

Vicky & Gandalf (GA) & Murrlin Well-Known Member

How amazing that with all those strikes against him he stole your heart and stayed longer than expected.

And how amazing that with all those strikes against him you gave him every chance to defeat the odds.

His sounds like a cat's life to be celebrated, not mourned. Fly free great Black Bear.

wings_cat

17. Black Bear & AcroMeg

Black Bear & AcroMeg New Member

[cleo died oct 31, in case you didn't know. so i join you in mourning.][/quote]

Chris, I didn't know about Cleo. I'm so sorry you lost your beautiful baby. The fact that you are back on the board, supporting others, is an inspiration to me. These sugar-kitties bequeath a legacy, don't they?

18. Dana & Thomas

Dana & Thomas Member

Hugs to you Megan,
    Black Bear sounds like such a fighter and an exceptional cat, who knew love and gave it to you in return.
    Godspeed Black Bear.
    Dana

19. Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA

Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA Well-Known Member

(((((((Megan))))))) I'm so sorry that you've lost Black Bear -- he'll be playing at the bridge with all our friends and meet you later on.

20. Carol-Charlie

Carol-Charlie Well-Known Member

I know that words from others who loved your beautiful Black Bear will help you to know how special you are for finding him, loving him and caring for him in his "Beloved Years" with you. I know he knew how Beloved he was and I'm sure his last five years were there due to your love and tenderness. I almost felt his rumbled purr as you described it. May you always think of him with love and smiles. And yes, the vet was right... He looks down on you purring loudly, hoping you'll feel the rumble and smile again.

Look for his spirit on Christmas Eve... I can't believe I wrote this five years ago already...

Sometimes, Softly… A Christmas Visitor Comes!
    © 2005 by Carol Notermann

Sometimes at midnight upon Christmas Eve
    A kitty will visit the one who did grieve.
    They just need to see the one left behind -
    To know they’re okay, and to just ease their mind.

For kitties do worry, when from pain they depart
    About the human, they hold deep in their heart.
    That’s why they send Rainbows, and sunset display
    To let their dear loved one know they’re okay.

But Christmas Eve’s special, for we’ve all heard that
    In a stable at midnight, the animals chat.
    And sweet little kitties, go ‘home’ for a while
    To be sure that their human has re-learned how to smile.

Thus if, around midnight, you feel in your sleep
    The faintest of touches, down by your feet.
    And then, when you’re stirring, by this gentle touch
    You may hear a purr that says “Thank you so much.”

“For the love that we shared, still is tight in my heart.”
    And “I’m waiting for you, up where Rainbows start”
    And sometimes the kitty will see snuggled there
    The kitty they sent you – your heart to repair.

The angel and kitty, may chat for a while
    Sharing the things, that will cause you to smile.
    For each of them loves you, in their special way
    And each wishes you, a joy filled Christmas Day

21. Sheila & Beau GA & Jeddie GA

Sheila & Beau GA & Jeddie GA Well-Known Member

Carol, that is a lovely poem. I haven't seen it here before, I don't think. I so love the "visits" I get from my GA kitties in my dreams - to be able to touch them, and hear them, and see them again feels like such a gift. I always wake up smiling. You put that into words so beautifully. I even get occasional "visits" from a cat that has been gone for 24 years, Melanie. She was a cat I had when Megan and I were kids. When you write about the new kitty sent to heal our hearts, I can almost trace a direct connection from Melanie to one of my youngest cats, Leanne.

Thank you for posting that.

22. Jill and Remi

Jill and Remi Member

((Megan)) I am so sorry to see this. Black Bear was a true fighter and I know how much you will miss him. Fly free sweet Black Bear!

23. maryjoandsmokie

maryjoandsmokie Member

I'm so sorry you lost your sweet Black Bear.
    You gave him a beautiful like; full of love.
    I hope you find comfort in those memories.
    Hugs,

24. Pam and Layla

Pam and Layla Member

(((Megan)))

I'm so sorry for your loss.

Hugs to you and fly free Black Bear!

Pam & Layla

25. Nina and KB

Nina and KB Well-Known Member

((( Megan )))

Megan, I'm so sorry Black Bear has gone ahead. He sounds like he was very special and was so lucky to have made his way to you. (( Megan ))

26. Cheryl and Winnie

Cheryl and Winnie Well-Known Member

Megan, so sorry for your loss. Black Bear was a very special kitty, will always be a special kitty.
    the love goes on.......

wings_cat

27. drjsiems

drjsiems Member

I just saw this and wanted to tell you how sorry I am for your loss and share your grief.

Judy, Jake, & Civvie Boomer

28. KristenP&Sam

KristenP&Sam Member

You have my deepest sympathies. No matter how much we try to prepare, it's never easy when we lose them. Big hugs to you.

29. Terri and Lucy

Terri and Lucy Member

I'm so sorry for your loss, Megan. I know he was there for you throughout your own health issues. That kind of mutual caregiving is truly unique and lasts a life time, even when 'life' is lived on a different time-space continuum.

Fly free Black Bear!

Terri

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.